PDA

View Full Version : LT1 only or LT1/T56 legal in a C2 3G

mitchntx
02-18-2010, 08:26 AM
I didn't see any reference to installing a T56 in a 3G in the rules, only an LT1. Intentional or an oversight or can I not read?

Clarification please?

Alien
02-18-2010, 08:54 AM
http://www.camaromustangchallenge.com/forum/viewtopic.php?

According to Al on 8/08...

This means any four, five, or six speed tranny offered in ANY eligible model car by GM is legal in ANY GM car. Same for Ford. In addition all cars can opt for the allowed Tremec boxes. In other words, T5s are allowed in 4th gens and T56s are allowed in 3rd gens.

Al Fernandez
02-18-2010, 08:58 AM
Correct

mitchntx
02-18-2010, 01:16 PM
Thanks.

But under the terms of "if it ain't there you can't" reasoning, shouldn't that be explicitly spelled out in the rules?

Al Fernandez
02-18-2010, 03:41 PM
7.27.1. Any OEM stock four, five or six speed transmission that was originally offered in an eligible model car of the same manufacturer is allowed. Tremec 3550 (Tremec part 260 0682R or TCET1376 only), and Tremec TKO transmissions are also allowed.

It is!

mitchntx
02-18-2010, 04:04 PM
that was originally offered in an eligible model car

But a T56 wasn't offered in the 82-92 eligible model car as outlined in section 5

5. ELIGIBLE MANUFACTURERS/MODELS
Manufacturers:

General Motors (Early GM)
Eligible Early GM makes and models:
1982-92 Chevrolet Camaro (all submodels with V8 motors eg – RS, Z28 etc; 5.7L may run CMC2 only)
1982-92 Pontiac Firebird (all submodels with V8 motors eg Formula, Trans-Am, WS6 etc; 5.7L may run CMC2 only)

In section 5 there are two seperate and distinct "eligible models" ... a G3 and a G4

But in 7.27.1 the term "an eligible model" (singular) probably should say "any eligible model" (multiple) in order to meet the intent.

Alien
02-18-2010, 05:04 PM
I think the key in this case is "an eligible model car of the same manufacturer is allowed"

a 4th gen is of the same manufacture as a 3rd gen, hence any trans that is allowed in the 4th gen is allowed in the 3rd gen and vice versa. Had to put in the wording of eligible model so someone wouldnt' try use a trans that came out a truck or such nonsense.

*edit* I agree with you Mitch on the "any", but the "any" that you speak of is at the beginning of that sentance.

*edit*edit* Looks like that simple phrase "of the same manufacturer" is what allows a part to cross between generations. It's mentioned that same way concerning brakes and alternators.
But, if that is the case, then a 4th gen rear end can't be used in a 3rd gen. Now I'm confused.

David Love AI27
02-18-2010, 05:52 PM
I think the key in this case is "an eligible model car of the same manufacturer is allowed"

a 4th gen is of the same manufacture as a 3rd gen, hence any trans that is allowed in the 4th gen is allowed in the 3rd gen and vice versa. Had to put in the wording of eligible model so someone wouldnt' try use a trans that came out a truck or such nonsense.

*edit* I agree with you Mitch on the "any", but the "any" that you speak of is at the beginning of that sentance.

*edit*edit* Looks like that simple phrase "of the same manufacturer" is what allows a part to cross between generations. It's mentioned that same way concerning brakes and alternators.
But, if that is the case, then a 4th gen rear end can't be used in a 3rd gen. Now I'm confused.

HAAA... Glad I'm not the only one...

jeffburch
02-18-2010, 05:55 PM
Last week there was a couple of T56's for LT1's on craigslist DFW for like $700.

jb

mitchntx
02-18-2010, 06:21 PM

I deal with engineers all day long, who are charged with simple communicating of thoughts through written word.

I use myself as a litmus test because I'm just about the lowest common denominator out there.

Edit: By the above statement I mean I don;t have a lot of formal education. I don't have a degree of any sort. So if something makes sense to me, it should make sense to any one.

In the real world, you have one chance typically to reach some one. Taking advantage of that single opportunity means success or angst.

end edit:

Trying to convince them that just because they understand it, doesn't automatically mean every one does. And because they have to go through a 20 minute explanation proves the point that it's worded poorly.

That seems to be a mental hurdle ...

GlennCMC70
02-18-2010, 10:15 PM
See Al, I told you this rule was poorly written and its intent isnt clear.