PDA

View Full Version : Alternator Wire Sizing

rleng1
03-06-2010, 02:55 PM
Need to extend charging wire from alternator to the kill switch. Run will be about 6'. Anyone ideas on what gauge wire I should use, and what size is the stock wire?
thanks,
Randy

marshall_mosty
03-06-2010, 09:15 PM
I did overkill and ran 2-guage. I'm runningo 1-0 welding cable for the battery...

rleng1
03-06-2010, 09:24 PM
Thanks Marshall. The current wire looks to be 8 gauge. I was going to run 6 gauge. Length is more like 12'.
Any issues?

mitchntx
03-06-2010, 09:37 PM
http://www.rbeelectronics.com/wtable.htm

I think the standard alternator on an LSx car is 90A max.

12V
100A
15'

12V
50A
15'

The load on your alternator with a hot battery is WAY below 50A.

rleng1
03-07-2010, 09:41 AM
Thanks Mitch. I was thinking that the alternator was less than 100A. Since it is 50A, and from the table you attached, I should be fine with the 6 ga. wire.

BryanL
03-08-2010, 02:21 PM
Perfect timing English and great info Mitch. Before I saw this post I was going to make a post paging "Dr. Volt".

Anyway, I found my car this weekend and it was still in the trailer just as dirty as I left it from ECR. I started having charging issues at Hallet. Changed the alternator and still the same thing at ECR. Took the alt. to be checked but their connectors were messed up so they gave me a different one. Same story, it would charge at about 13 volts. The battery also wasn't holding a charge so I thought that could be an issue, too.

Using the battery charger as a voltmeter I was only getting 13 volts at the battery. Then 13.2 at the kill switch. Then, got 14 when on the back post of the alternator. But I have a real small wire running from the alternator to the kill switch.
I thought it should put out 14.7?

So, my plan is to replace the battery and wire to hopefully take care of my problem. Otherwise I'll be paging Dr. Volt this weekend.

GlennCMC70
03-08-2010, 03:05 PM
make sure to rev the motor some as the output will vary some depending on the RPM the alt is at.

GlennCMC70
03-08-2010, 03:08 PM
Also, each cell of the battery is 2.2 volts per cell (w/ there being 6 cells in a car battery). So as long as you are delivering more than that to the battery, it will charge. 2.3 volts per cell is a good float voltage.

BryanL
02-28-2011, 01:30 PM
So I am finally getting around to adding a bigger charging wire from my alternator to my cutoff switch.
Do I need to run a resistor or a small light bulb in between the alternator and cutoff switch to prevent damaging my alternator?

rleng1
02-28-2011, 06:00 PM
BL, glad you liked my timing....it was a year ago to the day. Just now catching up. need to focus on racing.
I ended running 6 ga. from alternator to kill switch. Battery charges at ~ 13.7v when cold, but seems to reduce to ~13v when it gets hot. Louis suggested that I replace the alternator with original alternator.

GlennCMC70
02-28-2011, 08:46 PM
So I am finally getting around to adding a bigger charging wire from my alternator to my cutoff switch.
Do I need to run a resistor or a small light bulb in between the alternator and cutoff switch to prevent damaging my alternator?

The bulb or restistor needs to be placed in the tiny 22-24 gauge wire that plugs into the side of the alt. If this wire still comes from the OEM dash cluster, it likely already has that in it.

My output wire is #10 now. I was using 02 for the last year. I saw no improvement in the charge condition of the battery. The field resistor likely plays a bigger role in battery charge than the output wire size.

BryanL
03-01-2011, 10:15 AM
Thanks Glenn. It should be the oem wire that plugs in. I think the charge wire is about an 18 ga. I guess you are looking everywhere to get the weight down.

Yes, English I'm just now catching up. I'll let you know how my alternator charges cold and hot-its from O'reilly's. I did buy a brand new AC Delco alternator for less money in the meantime. Found it on Ebay from Katech.