PDA

View Full Version : Mosty - Hallett in-car video

michaelmosty
06-20-2006, 12:11 AM
Hopefully this link will work for the video of my off @ Hallett.
Right click, save as:
http://ryanrobinson.us/mosty/Hallett%20-%20brake%20line%20failure.mpg

Lewis Tanner
06-20-2006, 12:44 AM
Hey, at least you didn't stall it! :shock:

michaelmosty
06-20-2006, 01:05 AM
Hey, at least you didn't stall it! :shock:
Right as I went off track I just pushed in the clutch and brake and held on. Apparantly the gas pedal was pressed a little as well. :oops:
I tried to make as much noise as possible so Daron and Jerry would let me through. :wink:

BSharp
06-20-2006, 01:16 AM
Scary, red #5 almost got a 3000# enima.

Good reflexes.

micah
06-20-2006, 02:55 AM
Jerry told me Glenn asked him this weekend how I got all the way to the wall at TWS ,After watching your video now someone else knows how far race rubber goes on nice green grass.

donovan
06-20-2006, 05:34 AM
Holy Crap! WOW!

Impressive, how you handled the situation!

Kudos to you!

David D.

Mike Bell
06-20-2006, 05:52 AM
OMG! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Nice job avoiding Daron, you were really moving when you made that decision to downshift and go right, glad things worked out. That's pretty dramatic footage, I think I'm gonna go check my brake lines now.....

CMC17
06-20-2006, 06:41 AM
:shock: :shock: :shock: :arrow: :shock: :shock:

S-C-A-R-Y

I don't think Disney Land has a ticket for that ride.

Glad it all worked out in the end. Looks like it could have been much worse.

Whew!!!! No, that won't be making the 2006 high-light reel.

AI#97
06-20-2006, 08:21 AM
Wow! That could have been much worse!

I vote we use some of the AI/CMC funds to dry clean micheals fire suit!

Looks like the brakes worked briefly then just let loose. similar to what happened to me at Cresson but I didn't have 4 cars in my sights or a row of trees rushing at me! Micheal, GREAT job in avoiding so many targets!!!!

gt40
06-20-2006, 08:23 AM
Mike -- you'd better slap a copyright watermark on that and re-post it. that video is going to make its way around the 'Net for sure!

Mike Bell
06-20-2006, 08:25 AM
I've put it up on my website already, it is a great way to demonstrate the value of good equipment/maintenance/driving skills!!

Boudy
06-20-2006, 08:26 AM

I'm in.

Boudy

AllZWay
06-20-2006, 10:42 AM
Nice job of driving and avoiding many obstacles. :shock:

michaelmosty
06-20-2006, 11:08 AM
Wow! That could have been much worse!

It's not the fire suit that needs to be cleaned, it's the nomex underwear. :oops:

mitchntx
06-20-2006, 12:02 PM
What took balls was him standing out there on that grassy knoll shooting video of us racing past! :wink:

oz98cobra
06-20-2006, 02:26 PM
Wow! Like I said earlier - supreme skills Michael!

mitchntx
06-20-2006, 04:48 PM
Here is Glenn explaining the virtues of late braking into T2 ...

http://www.aicmctexas.com/gallery/v/mitchntx/Hallett+2006/Hallett_06_190.jpg.html

michaelmosty
06-20-2006, 05:21 PM
Thanks Mitch :roll: Glenn said to late-brake but I think I took it to the extreme. 8)

michaelmosty
06-20-2006, 05:23 PM
Actually that was me telling Glenn that I'm going to close my eyes while going backwards through StopSign in the race tomorrow morning. I don't think he believed me. :wink:

Boudy
06-20-2006, 05:45 PM
Michael: Did you run over any debris from the standing start? I hit a couple pieces at the back of the pack.

Boudy

Rob Liebbe
06-21-2006, 08:11 AM
We see this all the time in sudden acceleration lawsuits - the plaintiff invarialby states "the harder I pushed on the brake, the faster I went".

Also - we may have a new competitior for the Hallet Hang Time Award. Definitely airborne and travelling in a spin at the same time. I've found my long lost cousin Luke!!!!!

Bo Liebbe

michaelmosty
06-21-2006, 10:27 AM
We see this all the time in sudden acceleration lawsuits - the plaintiff invarialby states "the harder I pushed on the brake, the faster I went".

Also - we may have a new competitior for the Hallet Hang Time Award. Definitely airborne and travelling in a spin at the same time. I've found my long lost cousin Luke!!!!!

Bo Liebbe
I'm sorry Bo, I totally forgot to go measure the distance travelled in air. :? I guess your record still stands.
I'll see ya this afternoon @ the Boars Nest.

Luke Mosty

Rob Liebbe
06-21-2006, 10:35 AM
Very scary video in Burch's rear view mirror.

AI#97
06-21-2006, 11:14 AM

Bo Liebbe
I'm sorry Bo, I totally forgot to go measure the distance travelled in air. :? I guess your record still stands.

Luke Mosty

We counted about .85 seconds of hang time from the video here at work yesterday....fill in the blank about how fast you think you were going and if it was over 50mph....you got Liebbe beat!

Rob Liebbe
06-21-2006, 11:25 AM
I'll gladly hand over the crown and never want it back.

marshall_mosty
06-21-2006, 11:38 AM
Some of the damage. You have to love swedged fittings!!

http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/1280/5273/68538.jpg
http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/1280/5273/68539.jpg

michaelmosty
06-21-2006, 11:40 AM

Bo Liebbe

Luke Mosty

We counted about .85 seconds of hang time from the video here at work yesterday....fill in the blank about how fast you think you were going and if it was over 50mph....you got Liebbe beat!
I would venture to say at that point I had probablly slowed to 85-90mph. In addition to what Rob said, I hope I keep this award forever b/c if someone beats the distance I don't want to see what happens. :shock:

jeffburch
06-21-2006, 11:41 AM
Very scary video in Burch's rear view mirror.

I felt him. I heard him. Scared the pee outta me. I look up at the mirror and saw it in real time.

Scary.

jb

Rob Liebbe
06-21-2006, 11:48 AM
What took balls was him standing out there on that grassy knoll shooting video of us racing past! :wink:

Wait - didn't Michale do the same run off the track and video from the side at Cresson earlier this year? Is this a pattern forming?

marshall_mosty
06-21-2006, 11:51 AM
I see the pattern forming....

Cresson
... swedged fitting on an oil line comes loose and pull out of its barbed fitting

Hallett
... swedged fitting on a brake line comes loose and pulls out of its barbed fitting

Moral of the story.... don't use swedged fittings!!!

Rob Liebbe
06-21-2006, 12:15 PM
I thought maybe he was wimping out on us and bailing in the middle of races. Although his latest bailout took large cajones or small brains if it was done intentionally.

gt40
06-21-2006, 12:41 PM
I see the pattern forming....

Cresson
... swedged fitting on an oil line comes loose and pull out of its barbed fitting

Hallett
... swedged fitting on a brake line comes loose and pulls out of its barbed fitting

Moral of the story.... don't use swedged fittings!!!Didn't he loose a right-front line at TWS last year, too?

I totally agree about the swedged fittings. I use hoses with reusable hose ends now.

gt40
06-21-2006, 02:14 PM
http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/1280/5273/68539.jpgMichael, can you do me a favor and examine the banjo end closely? Does the INNER tube (the one that slips inside the brake hose,) have barbs on it, or is it a simple, smooth tube?

If its a smooth tube, then the ONLY thing that is retaining thehose is the friction between the outer, crimped tube and the stainless steel braid. that's not something I want anywhere on my car!

The retaining mechanism for a reusable hose end is very different. The braid is clamped between a nut and a small brass "olive" that is slipped between the stainless steel braid and the Teflon Tube itself. The olive is backed up againsr the remainder of the fitting and it is clamped betwen the nut and the threaded hose end. that thing is NOT going to come apart unless the braid tears (not bloody likely,) or it slips (only if the fitting isn't torqued enough.)

IMHO, this is a much more durable and reliable design.