PDA

View Full Version : STAINLESS STEEL BRAKE LINES

michaelmosty
06-20-2006, 10:25 AM
I am starting this post regarding my brake line failure @ Hallett last weekend. My goal is to research the product and damage and help alert fellow drivers of any safety issues.
I purchased my stainless steel brake lines from discbrakesrus.com in January 05. Discbrakesrus.com "claims" to sell Russell brake lines and says that they have sold their product for 4-years.
I spoke to the Russell tech line and they stated that their lines will have a black line on the nylon sleve The brake lines that were on my car have no such name on them. I also have an additional new line that was sent to me after a similar failure @ TWS last year that has no identifying marks either.
While speaking to the said "co-owner" of discbrakesrus.com this morning he stated that they get their stainless steel brake lines for Mustangs from many different suppliers. He also informed me that they themselves make some of the lines they sell in-house. I questioned this since their website shows all listed brake lines to be made by Russell. The said "co-owner" is looking into my purchase and will be getting back with me.

At this point it appears the brake lines on my car were not made by Russell. Please disregard any previous statements I made in regards to Russell products. I will wait until I have confirmed answers to discuss more regarding the manufacturer.

Mike Bell
06-20-2006, 10:27 AM
Thanks for keeping us updated Michael. Since I don't know what brand I have on my car I'm looking to swap them out with a quality replacement before TWS.

gt40
06-20-2006, 10:43 AM
Thanks for keeping us updated Michael. Since I don't know what brand I have on my car I'm looking to swap them out with a quality replacement before TWS.
Have you guys considered making your own lines using reusable hose ends and -3 hose from Earl's? I have 6 lines on my car (5 brake lines and a line for my oil pressure gauge,) and none have failed, ever. The lines are easy to make, and easy (and cheap!) to repair at the track.

Just make sure you get STEEL hose ends and fittings. There are aluminum hose ends and fittings available, but these are not suitable for brake lines.

Mike Bell
06-20-2006, 10:52 AM
Have you guys considered making your own lines using reusable hose ends and -3 hose from Earl's? I have 6 lines on my car (5 brake lines and a line for my oil pressure gauge,) and none have failed, ever. The lines are easy to make, and easy (and cheap!) to repair at the track.

Just make sure you get STEEL hose ends and fittings. There are aluminum hose ends and fittings available, but these are not suitable for brake lines.

I'd screw that up in a heartbeat.

GlennCMC70
06-20-2006, 11:13 AM
cut and paisted from other post. i didnt see this thread.

brake flare (SAE or metric) to AN adapters are easy and common to find. then its just a matter of hitting up the local dirt track shop for some premade lines of your choise in length. i take them and cover them w/ clear heat shrink and close the ends w/ zip ties. they are about $9-$15 each depending on size and the type of fitting on the ends (straight or 90 degree). cheep enough to replace each year. i'm on my 2nd season w/ mine and they still look good.
if you guys want to get together and go over this before TWS (plenty of time) let me know.

GlennCMC70
06-20-2006, 11:15 AM
in light of these failures, i will be going down and picking up a new set to keep in the "pit box" to keep w/ me.

macstang
06-20-2006, 11:31 AM
I have some russells on my car (red #15) there is a rubber sleeve on the hose with the russell logo on it. I am not sure if there is a line, I can look when I get back from Ohio Friday.

We have stop tech from MM on the CMC 44 btw.

donovan
06-20-2006, 11:38 AM
Adam has a parts list of AN fittings and lines, I think its all Earls and Summit numbers...

My AI car on the rear is AN steel fittings and AN Earl lines... the front is the same, I have used Maximum Motorsports in the past as well.

David D.

AI#97
06-20-2006, 12:02 PM
Adam has a parts list of AN fittings and lines, I think its all Earls and Summit numbers...

My AI car on the rear is AN steel fittings and AN Earl lines... the front is the same, I have used Maximum Motorsports in the past as well.

David D.

Goodrich Lines on my car. As it turns out, the Company I work for owns a serious stake in Goodrich as part of a bankruptcy buyout.... Let me see if I can get a contact at the Goodrich and do a group buy on the cobra lines....seem to work on several different cars...

Mike Bell
06-20-2006, 12:04 PM
Is it Goodrich or Goodridge? I are confused. :shock:

gt40
06-20-2006, 01:18 PM
I'd screw that up in a heartbeat.yeah -- I figured I would too, but making the lines is as simple as installing the hose ends and screwing on the banjo fitting and adaptor. The only thing you could possibly screw up is the hose end, which is pretty darn simple to install.

One advantage to the reusable hose end (other than that its reusable,) is that it has a fairly broad radius (3/8" or so,) to help prevent the tube from getting kinked at the end due to suspension movement and/or abuse. A swaged-on connector has a sharp edge instead.

I just got finished talking to a well-respected member of the Mustang racing community who has asked me not to identify him because he doesn't want to get involved in criticizing manufacturers (I don't think that in itself is a big deal, but that's not my call.)

He refuses to use Russell lines for specific reasons that he didn't go into. He also refuses to use any pre-made lines, especially those with swaged or crimped on ends. All his lines are made by himself, using Earl's or Aeroquip fittings -- period.

I've decided to follow his example. I'll getting rid of the last two swaged brake lines on the car and making my own hoses. If anyone wants to see how easy it is to make these lines, dro me a line and we can set something up.

No, I will not make any lines for you. I'll show you how I make my own lines, and I'll point you to Earl's instructions for installing hose ends, but I'm not comfortable with making brake lines for other folks. Oil lines? Yep! Brake lines? No thanks -- I don't want that kind of responsibility right now.

oz98cobra
06-20-2006, 02:19 PM
I have Russell lines on my Cobra that seen track duty pretty much at least once every 2 weeks for the past 2 years with no issues. They are clearly marked as Russell with the black sleeve.

Russell sells two types of lines - their DOT lines and non-DOT lines - I'm not sure of any difference?

I have also made my own in the past, and I can recommend this - however, I would also strongly recommend one additional step - and that is to have the lines you make pressure tested to 2 to 3 times the maximum pressure in your brake system. Most race shops or shops that make and sell hydraulic lines will have pressure test capabilities. The last ones I made I had pressure tested by a local hydraulic supplier to 2000 psi. The small expense will provide that peice of midn that your work is sound and you won't suffer a Mosty like failure.

AI#97
06-20-2006, 03:08 PM
Is it Goodrich or Goodridge? I are confused. :shock:

Sorry....goodridge....I was more confused....

gt40
06-20-2006, 04:15 PM
I have Russell lines on my Cobra that seen track duty pretty much at least once every 2 weeks for the past 2 years with no issues. They are clearly marked as Russell with the black sleeve.

Russell sells two types of lines - their DOT lines and non-DOT lines - I'm not sure of any difference?As far as I know, the only difference is that the DOT lines are set up to pass the DOT's "whip-test". One end is tied to a fixture while the other end has a 2# weight attached to it. The fixture is then spun up and the line is whipped around with this weight flailing around on the end.

The line is then pressure t4ested. If the line does not fail, the design passes.

I'm not sure what they're testing for -- probably Pep Boys idiots who like to hang the brake caliper by the brake hose. :shock:

Michael -- I'd like to see the failed line, or at least a good, close-up picture of the hose and the fitting. did the hose break, split, or did it pop out of the hose end?

michaelmosty
06-20-2006, 04:26 PM
Michael -- I'd like to see the failed line, or at least a good, close-up picture of the hose and the fitting. did the hose break, split, or did it pop out of the hose end?
Robert,
I am going to take a pic. of the broken line tonight. I also have a spare brand new line I'll take a pic. of as well.
I'll try and get it posted tomorrow, I'm trying to learn all this computer stuff. :D