PDA

View Full Version : Seat mounting

Casey_SS
05-09-2010, 02:01 PM
Researching my seat options and wondering how you guys typically mount them in a 4th gen F-body. I already have some pretty beefy brackets from Wedge Engineering that bolt to the factory "studs" on the bottom and then have holes on the top I could bolt the typical "L-bracket" such as the IOPort mounts to. I'm using the Wedge brackets now with my existing aftermarket seats which are reclining seats with double-locking sliders. The sliders bolt to the top of the Wedge brackets and then to the bottom of the seats. Thinking I could re-purpose these and just put the IOport mounts where the sliders are now and bolt a fixed back seat to the IO mounts. If this makes no sense, I can take some pictures....

Is this a solid way to go or should I be looking at welding in some flat bar stock and bolting/welding the IOport mounts to this? Other recommendations?

way2neary
05-10-2010, 06:23 AM
Hey Casey

Sounds like you are busy on the build. The stang may have a different setup, but wanted to share that I ended up ditching my aftermarket seat bracket and sliders to lower my seating position. I would recommend going with the 1/4 inch steel floor bracket and bolt your new seat in with a solid mount bracket (a suggestion from the Forum). Rob Leibbe had also suggested drilling holes one inch apart along the base.

I ended up finding a seat bracket for the Mustang at Holcomb Motorsports eBay store that met the requirements. With shipping it ended up being $75. It was a little steep, but worth not wasting a Saturday fitting the sheet metal and seat spacing. I checked and there was not a similar seat bracket for the Camaro, but thought you might want to see it.Here is the link

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mustang-Specific-Seat-Bracket-79-04-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3c8f617b35QQitemZ26010 3568181QQptZRaceQ5fCarQ5fParts

ShadowBolt
05-10-2010, 08:03 AM
Researching my seat options and wondering how you guys typically mount them in a 4th gen F-body. I already have some pretty beefy brackets from Wedge Engineering that bolt to the factory "studs" on the bottom and then have holes on the top I could bolt the typical "L-bracket" such as the IOPort mounts to. I'm using the Wedge brackets now with my existing aftermarket seats which are reclining seats with double-locking sliders. The sliders bolt to the top of the Wedge brackets and then to the bottom of the seats. Thinking I could re-purpose these and just put the IOport mounts where the sliders are now and bolt a fixed back seat to the IO mounts. If this makes no sense, I can take some pictures....

Is this a solid way to go or should I be looking at welding in some flat bar stock and bolting/welding the IOport mounts to this? Other recommendations?

Talk to Glenn or Mitch. They just use square steel tubing and weld nuts. Follow this link to pics of one of their builds and almost at the bottom of the page there is a good pic of how they do it.

http://www.lawmotorsports.net/Chassis4.htm
JJ

GlennCMC70
05-10-2010, 08:17 AM
http://www.lawmotorsports.net/Pics/94%20Teal%20Formula/web/94TealForm20.JPG

This will allow 2" adjustment intervals. Seat angle is easy to set as is total height. This really only works w/ aluminum seats.