PDA

View Full Version : Hallett Starts

Jeremy Gunter
05-12-2010, 10:40 AM
Now that the dust has settled from TWS and Hallett is now the focus, I am curious what has been discussed about changing the Hallett format and/or starts. At TWS, with a 5car wide straight and 4 cars wide in turns 1/2, there were some major issues brought up, not only by myself who was in the paddock watching, but also many racers involved in very close, if not bad, contact. When you take this into account, divide the track width by two, multiply car count by about 2, and factor in the fact that we don't race weekly with everyone in the field, I am hoping some alternatives will be discussed for our safety, and expense of body damage.

Split starts? AIX/AI and CMC2/CMC?
grid by Qual?

Am I the only one worrying about Hallet turn one after what I saw at TWS?

michaelmosty
05-12-2010, 11:04 AM
I didn't realize there was any drama at TWS. Am I out of the loop on something?

Split starts? I don't see a way of doing this on such short a track unless they were all rolling starts and that would suck.
Grid by qual time? We haven't done that at all this year and I don't see a reason to start now.
AIX/AI behing CMC/CMC2? Are you crazy???

GlennCMC70
05-12-2010, 11:35 AM
Good points Jeremy, but the Race Director, Assistant Race Director, Al and myself have already been talking about this for a couple weeks now. There has even been talk of splitting AI out of CMC for this weekend. We also think that removing the gap between classes will be required.
Stand by for more to come.

David Love AI27
05-12-2010, 11:37 AM
I am hoping some alternatives will be discussed for our safety, and expense of body damage.

grid by Qual?

Your not in Kansas anymore, Dorothy...

4 and 5 wide into T1 was awesome, it was 3 wide into 3 that was hairy...

If you get pushed out at T1, beware of the "Dukes of Hazard jump"..

:twisted: "FEAR THE 3" :twisted:

mitchntx
05-12-2010, 11:41 AM
Last year, on Sunday, I decided not to go out and qualifying because the track was wet. I started dead last.

I was in the turn exiting onto the front straight when the green flag was dropped.

Just an FYI

But ... I don't think there is any real problem at T1 at Hallett. Now T2 ...

AllZWay
05-12-2010, 11:53 AM
Other than those at the back having to start on the corner... I don't see any problems. We go as many wide as the track allows. If the track allowed 10 wide...we would be 10 wide... when it is two wide like Houston... we go two wide.

David Love AI27
05-12-2010, 01:37 PM
Other than those at the back having to start on the corner... I don't see any problems. We go as many wide as the track allows. If the track allowed 10 wide...we would be 10 wide... when it is two wide like Houston... we go two wide.

I hate to correct you, but it seems like if there is room for 2 WE can fit 3, room for 3 we fit 4 and so on and so on... I'm just sayin.. :roll:

Fbody383
05-12-2010, 01:52 PM
I didn't realize there was any drama at TWS. Am I out of the loop on something?

Me either.

And it's not always a question of track width ~ there's been "racing room" found on either side of the track.

We also think that removing the gap between classes will be required. It was a potential issue last year still being in last turn for the start. Gaps can't get too small with the standing starts or we may pile up a bunch of cars if somebody stalls. See "racing room" comment above.

As a participant in light, but reportable, contact at Hallett last year, I expect a good group "shoe talk" early on in the weekend.

JG ~ it'll be a hoot, just like last year. You probably don't even have any rust to shake off.

I hate to correct you, but it seems like if there is room for 2 WE can fit 3, room for 3 we fit 4 and so on and so on... I'm just sayin.Just makes it easier to check that the other guy/gal has all their saftey gear on.

Wirtz
05-12-2010, 01:53 PM
I'll be honest, it has been weighing on my mind a bit. I think the most important thing is everyone try to keep a cool head and play nice. Easy to say here in the computer I know.....

As for spliting the group, what I would really like to see is something like AIX plus CMC2 in one group and AI and CMC in another. And, I want at least one group in between so the other group has a chance to go up in the stands to watch the action. Might was well get to watch some good racing right?

David Love AI27
05-12-2010, 02:05 PM
Might was well get to watch some good racing right?

GET A BIGGER MIRROR!!! :roll:

ShadowBolt
05-12-2010, 02:07 PM
Now that the dust has settled from TWS and Hallett is now the focus, I am curious what has been discussed about changing the Hallett format and/or starts. At TWS, with a 5car wide straight and 4 cars wide in turns 1/2, there were some major issues brought up, not only by myself who was in the paddock watching, but also many racers involved in very close, if not bad, contact. When you take this into account, divide the track width by two, multiply car count by about 2, and factor in the fact that we don't race weekly with everyone in the field, I am hoping some alternatives will be discussed for our safety, and expense of body damage.

grid by Qual?

I've had a few talks with Al about this. Split starts are one thing and there will be a long talk about how these races are to be 30 minutes long and you don't have to win on the first lap. All sounds great until red mist sets in. I'm a little worried about it.

JJ

Rob Liebbe
05-12-2010, 02:37 PM
Might was well get to watch some good racing right?

GET A BIGGER MIRROR!!! :roll:

Or sit one out for fun. 8)

Would it make sense to have AI run with the fast ST groups - would the speeds be more similar than AI v CMC1/2?

Then let CMC1/2 have a dedicated run group.

Either way everyone needs to have a cool head throughout the entire race.

Rob Liebbe
05-12-2010, 02:39 PM
I hate to correct you, but it seems like if there is room for 2 WE can fit 3, room for 3 we fit 4 and so on and so on... I'm just sayin.. :roll:

Did Corey hack into David's account? just kidding

kbrewmr2
05-12-2010, 02:44 PM
I dunno about AI being a good mix for the ST group at Hallet due to Toyos vs Hoosiers and other sticky tires - potential for big cornering speed disparities

btw - Group F was also 4 wide going into Turn 1 at TWS in 2 of our 3 races (ask me how I know :shock: ). I think it might have just been "one of those things". We all got out clean though, not a door donut to speak of

back to being the fly on the wall for me... :x

cobra132
05-12-2010, 06:07 PM
I did'nt sigh up to race with ST. FMR

Rob Liebbe
05-12-2010, 07:07 PM
OK - nevermind I mentioned ST. :oops:

MikeP99Z
05-13-2010, 02:37 AM
Group G has a completely different schedule - and we won't be joining them at Hallett.

43 cars is likely the max for Group D. We have 35-40 based on preliminary interest.

Split starts are the current discussion - AIX/AI and CMC/CMC2, for both rolling and standing. I'll provide more info after we continue discussions.

Jeremy Gunter
05-13-2010, 11:55 AM
Thanks guys. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one thinking about it... :shock: :oops: :roll:

Fbody383
05-14-2010, 08:56 AM
Thanks guys. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one thinking about it... :shock: :oops: :roll:

See, what a great group. Of course, to ease your mind you could start every race a couple lengths behind the pack to avoid the corner 2 flurry on the opening lap. Then take plenty of time as you cooly and calmly pass each car ahead of you, one at a time of course, slowly and methodically making your way to the front.

In fact, we'll hand Mulder a bottle of Gatorade, a couple pain pills and a radio and he can spot for you.

I like it... good plan. We'll call it "Jeremy's Quest;" no need to thank me.

michaelmosty
05-14-2010, 09:44 AM
Perfect plan Dave, he'll have 30-40 minutes / race to do this so no need to rush. 8)

Al Fernandez
05-17-2010, 04:37 PM
Glad to read about you guys being concerned since that concern will hopefully stick in your brain when you're the one deciding to make it four wide! :lol:

Hallett is short, but I think the concept of splitting the starts between AI/AIX and CMC/CMC2 is worth considering. It'd require the 2nd group to really jump up and stop quickly, but I think it can be done.

Its safe to say we'll be discussing contact and the immediate ramifications of avoidable contact during our drivers meetings. The entire weekend format is different than normal, and consistency is going to be key for being in a good position to claim that Summer Shootout. Consistentcy demands keeping your nose (and doors, and fenders...) clean :D

Alien
05-19-2010, 11:34 AM
Hallett is short, but I think the concept of splitting the starts between AI/AIX and CMC/CMC2 is worth considering. It'd require the 2nd group to really jump up and stop quickly, but I think it can be done.

Would it be a possibilty for the 2nd group to line up and stop on the back stretch before the last corner?

For both standing and rolling starts, I wouldn't want there to be too big a gap between the goups but just enough so we get thru the first lap without running over each other. If the starts are two far apart, the 1st group cars will be catching the tail of the 2nd group within a lap or two.

gt40
05-19-2010, 11:58 AM
Would it be a possibilty for the 2nd group to line up and stop on the back stretch before the last corner?I dunno if there's enough room between The Bitch and The Carousel. plus for the folks in theback of the pack, it'de be an uphill start.

Maybe between 6 and 7? That's a long, fairly flat straight, but you'd be funneling all those cars into The Bitch. That could get interesting.

For rolling starts, I don't see it being too much of a problem -- just get the gap right.

(I still don't understand why the CMC/CMC2 folks like to get so close to AI/AIX on rolling starts. I'd think you'd want lots of empty space in front of you, not a bunch of AI backmarkers...)

David Love AI27
05-20-2010, 10:31 AM
Glad to read about you guys being concerned since that concern will hopefully stick in your brain when you're the one deciding to make it four wide! :lol:

You guys really screwed up.... I believe that the ONLY thing stuck in our brains (overstatement) is "what is it gonna take for me to get that bad a$$ trophy"

I'm gonna go out on a very big limb and predict more passes in the grass than ever before...

Jeremy Gunter
05-20-2010, 12:01 PM
I'm gonna go out on a very big limb and predict more passes in the grass than ever before...

so Cory is coming?