PDA

View Full Version : Formula One in Austin TX?

David Love AI27
05-25-2010, 12:56 PM
Rumor has it that F1 will be running in Austin, Texas in 2012 :shock: :shock: :shock:

jeremiahkellam
05-25-2010, 01:05 PM
http://www.windingroad.com/articles/news/formula-1-announces-2012-united-states-grand-prix-in-austin-texas/

Harris Hill???

Maybe Texas AI / CMC could be a support class...??? :lol:

Personally, I don't believe it. If NASCAR can't get a race south of Dallas, F1 sure can't...

It would be cool though!

ShadowBolt
05-25-2010, 01:37 PM
http://www.windingroad.com/articles/news/formula-1-announces-2012-united-states-grand-prix-in-austin-texas/

Harris Hill???

Maybe Texas AI / CMC could be a support class...??? :lol:

Personally, I don't believe it. If NASCAR can't get a race south of Dallas, F1 sure can't...

It would be cool though!

How big is Driveway Austin? Harris Hill is way too small. Maybe on the downtown streets? We used to have the Aqua-fest motorcycle races on the streets of downtown Austin in the 70's.

JJ

Wirtz
05-25-2010, 01:39 PM
Yeah, seems very hard to believe, but it is on this site as well, normally they have been pretty good about sorting out the BS...

http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/formula-1-news/235535/texas-signs-10-year-deal-for-us-grand-prix/

Wirtz
05-25-2010, 01:42 PM
No way it is Driveway... I would think at least. This caught my eye

Quote:
"For the first time in the history of Formula 1 in the United States, a world-class facility will be purpose-built to host the event," Ecclestone explained. "It was thirty years ago that the United States Grand Prix was last held on a purpose-built permanent road course circuit at Watkins Glen, which enjoyed great success."

kbrewmr2
05-25-2010, 01:46 PM
Driveway is too narrow for NASA to race on, much less F1... supposed to be on a new purpose built track

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2010/5/10824.html
http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_news_item.php?fes_art_id=40892

ShadowBolt
05-25-2010, 01:48 PM
No way it is Driveway... I would think at least. This caught my eye

Quote:
"For the first time in the history of Formula 1 in the United States, a world-class facility will be purpose-built to host the event," Ecclestone explained. "It was thirty years ago that the United States Grand Prix was last held on a purpose-built permanent road course circuit at Watkins Glen, which enjoyed great success."

I've never seen Driveway Austin so I have no idea what it was like. I know the guy that owns/ started it is some kind of accomplished racer.

JJ

cjlmlml
05-25-2010, 01:50 PM
This will never happen. If it does, I will buy everyone on here a beer.

jeremiahkellam
05-25-2010, 01:59 PM

At the race...???

cjlmlml
05-25-2010, 02:00 PM
sure, at the race, and I will wear a giant chicken costume the whole time.

ShadowBolt
05-25-2010, 02:07 PM

If Bernie really said this then I bet it will happen.

"For the first time in the history of Formula 1 in the United States, a world-class facility will be purpose-built to host the event," Ecclestone explained.

JJ

Wirtz
05-25-2010, 02:24 PM
I was thinking about that too....

But, I read a fairly recent article w/ Bernie and he was stating that he thought from the outset that the USF1 effort was doomed. But since they never approached him and asked for his help, he let it all happen....

Just seems like American involvement in F1 has always been a joke to him. Now, that said, I have also read that the majority of the teams in F1 want to be in the US for sponsership money. And of course when the money talks....

Lastly, I was reading that Jeremiah was the leading canidate to be the US based Ferrari test driver...

Fbody383
05-25-2010, 02:39 PM

If Bernie really said this then I bet it will happen.

"For the first time in the history of Formula 1 in the United States, a world-class facility will be purpose-built to host the event," Ecclestone explained.
Just think how much run off room "we'll" have at an FIA approved track.

gt40
05-25-2010, 02:58 PM
It's on F1's website: http://www.formula1.com/default.html

If this is a hoax, it is a VERY good one.

Formula One returns to the United States Formula One World Championship Limited and Formula One Administration Limited (together, the F1 Commercial Rights Holder) and Full Throttle Productions, LP, promoter of the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix™, announce that a historic agreement has been reached for Austin, Texas to serve as the host city of the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix™ for years 2012 through 2021.

“We are extremely honoured and proud to reach an agreement with the F1 Commercial Rights Holder. We have been diligently working together for several years to bring this great event to Austin, the State of Texas and back to the United States. All parties involved have a great amount of trust and confidence in each other and are committed to establishing the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix™ in Austin, Texas as a prestigious global event,” stated Tavo Hellmund, Managing Partner of Full Throttle Productions, LP.

Bernie Ecclestone, President and CEO of the Formula One Group stated: “For the first time in the history of Formula One in the United States, a world-class facility will be purpose-built to host the event. It was thirty years ago that the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix™ was last held on a purpose-built permanent road course circuit in Watkins Glen, NY (1961-1980), which enjoyed great success. Since then, Formula One has been hosted by Long Beach, Las Vegas, Detroit, Dallas and Phoenix all on temporary street circuits. Indianapolis joined the ranks of host cities in 2000 when they added a road course inside the famed oval. Lewis Hamilton won the last Formula 1 United States Grand Prix™ in 2007, signalling the end to eight years at Indianapolis Motor Speedway. This however, will be the first time a facility is constructed from the ground up specifically for Formula One in the US.”

Mr. Hellmund added: “This is a case of the right timing in the right place. As many Americans know, Austin has earned a reputation as one of the ‘it’ cities in the United States. Austin features that rare combination of ideal geographic location and beauty. Its fine dining, world-renowned hospitality and excellent transportation infrastructure make Austin ideally suited to host and manage an event of this magnitude. Few cities if any in America could rival the connectivity of all the key elements needed for hosting a Formula 1 event as well as Austin. Now, many people around the world will have the opportunity to experience a world-class event, facility and city.”

“We are pleased Texas has the opportunity to be involved with Formula 1 and that an event of this magnitude is coming to Austin,” said Susan Combs, Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts. “It has been a pleasure working with Full Throttle Productions, LP and Mr. Hellmund on this project. Their tradition of producing successful major events coupled with a thirty year relationship with Mr. Ecclestone has us looking forward to this worldwide event and the benefits it will bring, including local job creation, increased tourism and a significant economic impact added to our state economy. The visibility and prestige of this event will spotlight our state on an international stage.”

Texas Governor Rick Perry conveyed his enthusiasm for the project, explaining “Texas’ relatively strong economy continues to draw both national and international attention and I commend Comptroller Combs for her work in bringing this exciting event to the Lone Star State.”

City of Austin Mayor Lee Leffingwell continued the positive sentiments, adding "The City of Austin will be proud to host this magnificent event and I look forward to welcoming the participants and fans of Formula One to our City."

Full Throttle Productions, LP acknowledges with great appreciation the efforts of all parties involved including Bernie Ecclestone, President and CEO of the Formula One Group, and the local and state officials of Texas.

“It has been a shared vision and monumental task to reach this agreement. We realize that over the last 30 years there have been one or two missing pieces from the previous editions of the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix™. We have a tremendous opportunity at hand to do it right - to feature Austin as the backdrop and produce the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix™ as one of the great sporting events in the world,” stated Hellmund.

In addition to the State of Texas being the 11th strongest economy in the world, it has more Fortune 500 company headquarters than any other state. Key features of Austin include:
- State capital nicknamed ‘Silicon Hills’ for being one of the most important regions in the US for the Technology Industry;
- USA’s 15th largest city and is located 145 miles from Houston (4th largest US city), 70 miles from San Antonio (7th largest US city), and 180 miles from Dallas (8th largest US city), population in this triangle is over 22 million;
- perfectly located geographically for North, South and Central American visitors;
- over 130 daily departing international flights within 180 miles;
- over 250,000 hotel rooms within 180 miles;
- desirable year-round climate, with an average annual temperature of 68 degrees Fahrenheit (20 Celsius);
- geographically located in the Texas Hill Country, easily the most beautiful city in the State, and considered one of the most in the US;
- hotels/downtown/Formula 1 circuit/airport located within close proximity of each other, which is nearly impossible for any other large city in the US;
- world class night life entertainment along renowned ‘Sixth Street’; and
- large film industry presence - many movies filmed in the area.

Austin’s National Recognition
- Known as “The Live Music Capital of the World”
- Voted “Greenest City in America” (MSN)
- Voted “Least Stressful Large Metro” in the United States (Forbes)
- Voted Top Two “Best Cities” in the United States (Money Magazine)
- Voted Top Three “Hippest Cities” in the United States (Forbes)
- Voted Top Five “Safest Cities” in the United States (Forbes)
- Voted Top Ten “Sports & Fitness Cities” in the USA (Sports Business Journal)

Full Throttle Productions, LP is an Austin, Texas, special event and sports production company that provides event conception, event project management, day of event oversight, staffing and volunteer services, venue planning and logistics support.

More information on the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix™ will be forthcoming shortly. In the meantime, all queries should be directed to info@fullthrottleproductionslp.com.

Now, who besides me is thinking this would be a PERFECT place to hold NASA Nationals? It's in the center (more or less,) of the country, it has a nearby airport, its well-served by an Interstate highway, and it's in the middle of the best damned NASA region in the country! :D

(Is it wrong that I'm more excited about this than when I learned Amy was pregnant? I'm a bad father...)

Fbody383
05-25-2010, 03:08 PM
sure, at the race, and I will wear a giant chicken costume the whole time.That will be fun... count me in for a beer for the chicken-man if he's gonna wear the suit.

gt40
05-25-2010, 03:20 PM
sure, at the race, and I will wear a giant chicken costume the whole time.And I'll videotape the whole thing! :D

Waco Racer
05-25-2010, 04:00 PM
Has anyone here been invited to the groud-breaking ceremony?

mitchntx
05-25-2010, 04:02 PM
a world-class facility will be purpose-built to host the event

And it will be called "GunterRing" ... "Jeremy GunterRing"

gt40
05-25-2010, 04:26 PM
Has anyone here been invited to the groud-breaking ceremony?Has anyone talked to Sannon about getting this added to the schedule and lobbying NASA coprpoate to get the Nats held here after Miller?

Fbody383
05-25-2010, 04:56 PM
Has anyone here been invited to the groud-breaking ceremony? I'll call Governor Good Hair and Her Highness and get us some gold shovel duty.

donovan
05-25-2010, 05:20 PM
Chris you have a few months to save money for beer and get fitted for a chicken suit!!

:wink:

mitchntx
05-25-2010, 06:31 PM
Ah .... Formula 1 ...

http://www.derapate.it/wp-galleryo/paddock-girls/09_paddock_girls.jpg

http://www.derapate.it/wp-galleryo/paddock-girls-gran-bretagna-f1-2008/paddock-girls-inghilterra-4.jpg

http://www.derapate.it/img/pagelle-turchia-formula1.jpg

And then Chris ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUcTvhyof8I

chris-CMC#35
05-25-2010, 06:52 PM
in Austin??!! this will never happen. but it's fun press.

-chris

AllZWay
05-25-2010, 09:33 PM
It sure would be cool. There has been many F1 style track supposed to built over the past 10 years......but I guess we will see if this pans out.

michaelmosty
05-25-2010, 10:05 PM
Mmmmmm, makes me want to start smoking Marlboro. I hope they don't mind me drinking Keystone Light. 8)

Al Fernandez
05-26-2010, 07:14 AM
I dont know what Abbey is, but whenever I find out what they sell they'll get my money. Same goes for whoever lined up that grid! :lol:

Chris, cant wait to see you walking around in a chicken suit! With enough money anything can be accomplished. Building an F1 quality facility in two years is a hell of a lot less difficult than putting together an F1 team IMHO, so its completely feasible...if someone has brought enough money to the party.

I think AICMC would make for a hell of an opening show! Hell, we have more overtaking in one lap than in an entire grand prix!

Waco Racer
05-26-2010, 07:51 AM
Has anyone here been invited to the groud-breaking ceremony?Has anyone talked to Sannon about getting this added to the schedule and lobbying NASA coprpoate to get the Nats held here after Miller?

The 2011 & 2012 NASA Nationals will be at Mid-Ohio. This new track, if it really gets built, will have to submit a proposal to the National office.

FWIW, Jerry K. said that he would like to have the Nats at TWS. However, the track doesn't meet the standards.

ShadowBolt
05-26-2010, 08:22 AM

The 2011 & 2012 NASA Nationals will be at Mid-Ohio. This new track, if it really gets built, will have to submit a proposal to the National office.

FWIW, Jerry K. said that he would like to have the Nats at TWS. However, the track doesn't meet the standards.

What is TWS short on? Just pit room? Just wondering. A nationals at TWS would be a CMC Texas show for sure.

JJ

Waco Racer
05-26-2010, 08:54 AM
TWS lacks prestige, paddock space, cleanliness, viewing areas, garages, just to name a few items.

GlennCMC70
05-26-2010, 09:00 AM
Its short on facilities in general. Parking, bathrooms, food courts, spectator seating. Not to mention staff facilities for T/S results, tech, impound, and the list goes on.

JasonLiiR
05-26-2010, 11:13 AM
Excuses excuses. Your all just scared if it was at TWS I would take home the trophy. Since I do work up there now and all.

mitchntx
05-26-2010, 11:37 AM
Excuses excuses. Your all just scared if it was at TWS I would take home the trophy. Since I do work up there now and all.

Oh man ... that post is a target rich environment. :wink:

I refrain due to glass houses and all.

ShadowBolt
05-26-2010, 01:10 PM
TWS lacks prestige, paddock space, cleanliness, viewing areas, garages, just to name a few items.

I know Miller is great but is is Mid-Ohio all that?

I would think it would be easy to fix TWS for little money except for the viewing area and garages. Do you have to have garage space for everyone?
I think I remember that the grandstands were condemed many years ago.

JJ

GlennCMC70
05-26-2010, 01:16 PM
Mid Ohio is much much nicer than TWS. My first trip, I felt as though I had finally made it to Mecca.

Waco Racer
05-26-2010, 01:45 PM
Plus, in September, in Texas, it is frikin' HOT!

GlennCMC70
05-26-2010, 01:49 PM
Did you guys see that Salt Lake got snow this week!
Crazy!

kbrewmr2
05-26-2010, 02:09 PM
it wouldn't kill them to repave the road course areas as well

and where are you going to do standing starts for the classes that want standing starts?

David Love AI27
05-26-2010, 02:29 PM
and where are you going to do standing starts for the classes that want standing starts?

2-3 or 6-7 or 11-12

mitchntx
05-26-2010, 02:29 PM

Pit road ...

David Love AI27
05-26-2010, 02:30 PM

Pit road ...

OH H3LL YES!!!! like your thinking!!!

gt40
05-26-2010, 03:46 PM
Mid Ohio is much much nicer than TWS. My first trip, I felt as though I had finally made it to Mecca.Think of Mid Ohio as Hallet, only bigger with MUCH nicer facilities -- not Miller-nice, but pretty darned nice.

gt40
05-26-2010, 03:50 PM

Pit road ...You know, that stretch of road through the MIDDLE of the infield is techinically part of the infield course, right? If you go straight instead of turning for T3 (and if you manage to jump the tires, concrete wall and fencing,) you're on it. It rejoins at T14.

That would be probably the longest straight section, and there's only a gate at T-14.

kbrewmr2
05-26-2010, 05:27 PM
I hear about pit road - I'd be tempted to try a standing start there if there wasn't walls on both sides pretty close

mitchntx
05-26-2010, 05:59 PM
I hear about pit road - I'd be tempted to try a standing start there if there wasn't walls on both sides pretty close

As opposed to other cars?

At least the wall isn't moving ....

David Love AI27
05-26-2010, 07:08 PM

The outside wall at Miller is just like the inside pit wall at TWS and at least at TWS there wouldnt be two walls perpendicular to the front straight walls at Miller... check vids from 2009 Nationals... I would like to see some gravel traps at TWS....

Fbody383
05-26-2010, 09:43 PM
The plot thickens... I was guessing close to 1,000 acres 15-18 months of serious construction. Donovan, how'd you miss out on this design work?

Story HERE (http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5hifaTxh6DZthj5gW2HO3k1iKsuLw)

Formula One race promoters acquire Austin-area track site
By Jim Vertuno (CP) – 1 hour ago

AUSTIN, Texas — Race promoters say they have secured a site and designer to build a track for the new Formula One United States Grand Prix to be run in Austin, beginning in 2012.

Tavo Hellmund, managing partner of Full Throttle Productions wouldn't disclose Wednesday the location of the Austin-area site nor its price, but said it's "more than 700 acres."

Hellmund also said the German firm Tilke GmbH firm had been hired to design the venue. Tilke has built racetracks in Abu Dhabi, Bahrain, Shanghai and Istanbul among other cities.

Formula One officials made the surprise announcement Tuesday of the revival of the United States Grand Prix, which hasn't been run since it was last held at Indianapolis Motor Speedway in 2007. The officials also announced the Austin track would be the first in the United States built specifically for a Grand Prix event.

So far, Hellmund has not released details on how much the Austin racetrack is expected to cost, other than to say it will be built with private money and not with any public funds.

In a statement from Full Throttle, promoters said the course would be "one of the finest permanent road course facilities in the world. Fans should expect the craftsmanship Tilke is famous for, with a priority placed on green building and a track similar to the great Grand Prix tracks of previous generations."

Formula One president Bernie Ecclestone said the race in the Texas capital would mark the first time a course would be built specifically for an F1 race in the United States.

Before its run in Indianapolis, Formula One had been hosted by Long Beach, Las Vegas, Detroit, Dallas and Phoenix and other cities on city street circuits. The race at Indianapolis Motor Speedway was run on a road course built inside the oval track. Watkins Glen, N.Y, hosted a Grand Prix from 1961-80.

Austin seemed an unlikely destination for a Grand Prix event on a circuit that includes stops in Monte Carlo, Sau Paulo and Singapore. But with a metro area population of about 1.7 million, Austin is a three-hour drive or less from Dallas, Houston and San Antonio.

Al Fernandez
05-27-2010, 08:44 AM
Does anyone remember what Miller cost to build? I remember they told us during the tour we did that one morning.

GlennCMC70
05-27-2010, 08:48 AM
21 million if I recall.

donovan
05-27-2010, 10:29 AM
Donovan, how'd you miss out on this design work?

They didn't want two tracks within 20 miles of each other designed by the same person. :P

DD

ShadowBolt
05-27-2010, 11:42 AM
Donovan, how'd you miss out on this design work?

They didn't want two tracks within 20 miles of each other designed by the same person. :P

DD

David,

Is that a joke or do you know where the site is for the new track?

JJ

donovan
05-27-2010, 12:11 PM
I have an idea where its located, there are not too many 700 acre plots of land east of the airport, within the target 10-15 mile range.

DD

mitchntx
05-27-2010, 05:23 PM
Rumor has it that F1 is attempting to get into off-road racing ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpgSuvzBJiw&feature=related

Maybe the Grand Prix of South Padre?

gt40
05-28-2010, 10:48 AM
Anyone catch F1 practice today? They talked about the USGP in Austin a bit. Nothing new other than they said the land had "rolling hills". :roll:

Interesting bit of trivia though. Karun Chandock's mother is from San Antonio and his grandparents still live there. The Speed guys have taken to calling him "Cowboy".

If you can, tune or record Formula One Debrief tonight at 11:00 on Speed. They'll be discussing the Audtin situation and will have an interview with Hellmund.

gt40
05-28-2010, 04:45 PM
More info: http://docs.google.com/fileview?id=1Smqh7eFKvlujWrgTpDYQOxuOHhfsj2kMBP-MQ1PNRSG_fBXfFRy-Inulk_DP&hl=en.

BlueFirePony
05-28-2010, 07:43 PM
"The way the track can be divided up, with different configurations, it's gonna be in use a helluva lot."

hmmm......

GlennCMC70
05-28-2010, 08:56 PM
I liked the ".. holy shit fast!" quote. 8)