PDA

View Full Version : Used Motor sources?

Mike Bell
03-21-2006, 08:15 AM
I need to start looking for a "spare" CMC motor since I used up my existing spare, what are good sources/places to start looking?

On the local Mustang boards is where I'm mainly digging on a weekly basis, but I've heard Glenn mention his junkyard finds - anyone know of a good place in the Houston area?? Any other places I'm missing?

BSharp
03-21-2006, 09:55 AM
Mike, it will hard to find any V8 mustangs in wrecking yards anymore, they will get picked over pretty fast. You can get an engine from a Lincoln MK VII LSC. They had HO's. Some stuff is different but the block and heads are the same. I am not sure about the cam though.

Bud

Mike Bell
03-21-2006, 10:33 AM
Thanks Bud, i got a good deal on the last one but that's in the car now, seems I need to keep digging or plunk down the money to rebuild one - so far none of my "cores" have been rebuildable lol.

mitchntx
03-21-2006, 10:40 AM
Mike, likewise, it is getting tough to find GM LT1 motors.

Glenn got his from a gent who abandoned his protouring project. The gent got the LT1 from a wrecking yard somewhere in Dallas.

In my car, it had a spun rod bearing. I began looking for a reman shortblock from all the major engine suppliers in the DFW area and noone had any. I was told they were getting scarce.

The current motor in #9 has a similar lineage to Glenn's ... an abandoned project.

The motor(s) Glenn and I have now have come from wrecked cars being parted out by individuals, found on the "kiddie" boards.

Example: the shortblock in CMC #8 was in the donor car. It had less than 1000 miles on it whenthe fule rails came loose and the engine bay burned. The top end of the motor was toast and the owner wanted to keep the ported heads but had stockers he gave us.

We found a 3000 mile motor that had "some noise" coming from the bottom end. Turned out, the builder never welded, splayed or bolted the oil pump pick-up tube onto the oil pump and the tube was laying in the bottom of the pan. So the bottom end was toast.

We maried the motors and have a great low mileage motor for under $1000, plus parts remaining to make a nice, rebuildable longblock.

Doing it this way just takes a lot of time, patience, space and creative thinking.

Mike Bell
03-21-2006, 10:51 AM
Kudos to you guys for finding a way to get an LT1, back when I blew up my LT1 in the Corvette I had to buy a crate motor from Scoggin-Dickey, cost me like $3000 at dealer cost.

I may just get one of those Summit $1299 new 5.0 shortblocks and get my spare E7s on it, put it on the engine stand for the next rainy day. Just wanted to ask about "sources" as I'm not finding much on the kiddie boards these days.

mitchntx
03-21-2006, 11:33 AM
I attribute the whole scenario to clean living, Sunday school and spending WAY too much time on the internet.

Mike Bell
03-21-2006, 11:36 AM
I got 1 out of 3 covered, what's that get me? ;)

See you in a month. You got that CMC #8 ready for MPatt? Looking forward to racing him again..............

BSharp
03-21-2006, 11:46 AM
The last short block I bought was $200. The walls looked good so I pulled the crank, turned it 10/10, put in new bearings, done.

mitchntx
03-21-2006, 11:49 AM
I think #8 will be ready. Mr. Patterson will be behind the wheel.

You should buy the car now. Once he podiums the car, the price goes up.

Mike Bell
03-21-2006, 12:16 PM
Huh? I've got too many cars right now lol. Besides, you better make sure he brings you back an entire car................. :shock:

Did I just say that? :oops:

cmarvel
03-21-2006, 12:27 PM
Summit still had 5 brand new Ford 5.0 short blocks left two weeks ago.

Ask me how I know.

MikeP99Z
03-21-2006, 12:35 PM
Huh? I've got too many cars right now lol. Besides, you better make sure he brings you back an entire car................. :shock:

Did I just say that? :oops:

Cold enough that the #18 may be inadvertantly mowing the grass... :lol:

mitchntx
03-21-2006, 01:10 PM
Donuts for everyone!

GlennCMC70
03-21-2006, 02:05 PM
here is where we are as of last sunday. the cage was not there sunday morning. the motor was in two piles and not in the car a week ago today.

http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/index.php?showtopic=7125

Mike Bell
03-21-2006, 07:06 PM
Cold enough that the #18 may be inadvertantly mowing the grass... :lol:

Rut-roh. :shock:

MikeP99Z
03-21-2006, 07:42 PM
The front bumper cover on this car isn't painted yet, so a bit o' black on it ain't gonna make a difference.

Actually, WTF am I talking about, take a look at photo #3 in Glenn's link - that's your view. Get used to it beotch.

Mike Bell
03-21-2006, 09:23 PM
Ah hell, what do I care. If I get to tell my grandchildren that I raced against the great Michael Patterson in both AI and CMC then I'm a happy man - win or lose.

Buy any of that?? :lol:

Todd Covini
03-21-2006, 10:14 PM
I've been looking at deals like this...but tough to tell what shows up on your doorstep.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8048591256&ssPageName=MERC_VIC_RSCC_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT

-= Todd

mitchntx
03-21-2006, 10:24 PM
Glenn said he would buy this one, but it would take 2 of them to equal 1 LT1.

Not sure what he meant by that ...

MikeP99Z
03-22-2006, 12:50 AM
Ah hell, what do I care. If I get to tell my grandchildren that I raced against the great Michael Patterson in both AI and CMC then I'm a happy man - win or lose.

Not a bit of it. I look forward to some entertainment.

CMC17
03-22-2006, 08:34 AM
I've been looking at deals like this...but tough to tell what shows up on your doorstep.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8048591256&ssPageName=MERC_VIC_RSCC_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT

-= Todd

Yikes!!! The $490 shipping cost. Oh the humanity! I agree though that you never know what you are going to wind up with and it's definitely a gamble.

CMC17
03-22-2006, 08:36 AM

Not a bit of it. I look forward to some entertainment.

You guys can play in the back and we won't mind one bit. Just make sure you give a point by when I come around again to your six o'clock. :D

CMC17
03-22-2006, 08:37 AM
Glenn said he would buy this one, but it would take 2 of them to equal 1 LT1.

Not sure what he meant by that ...

Oh, I agree that GM has the advantage by a wiiiiide margin. ;)

Mike Bell
06-21-2006, 10:44 AM
Update: Summit and Jegs no longer have the M-6009-B50 shortblocks.

Now I'm really scrounging for a new motor. Most folks I call want to sell their "super HP package" deal - get pretty confused when I throw the CMC ruleset at them lol.

Define "stock cam" was the latest response, d'oh!!

AI#97
07-20-2006, 09:29 AM
Update: Summit and Jegs no longer have the M-6009-B50 shortblocks.

Now I'm really scrounging for a new motor. Most folks I call want to sell their "super HP package" deal - get pretty confused when I throw the CMC ruleset at them lol.

Define "stock cam" was the latest response, d'oh!!

Yeah, Factory Stock Drag racers know how to REALLY get some power out of the "stock" cam!!! LOL! :P

I doubt it would be legal but you can get an all aluminum Explorer 2V mod motor for about $1500, brand new! would put you right on the hp/tq limits too!!! Figure another $1000 to get it running in the car with a used tranny and you would be one fast CMC'er!!! :D