PDA

View Full Version : Harris Hill this weekend

mitchntx
06-19-2010, 08:52 PM
I'm taking the Caddy to H2R this coming weekend with the Driver's Edge to have a little bit of casual ... fun.

Did brakes, power steering and an oil/filter change yesterday and today.

Steve is planning on bringing out his Vette if the knee will hold up.

Any one around the greater San Marcos area want to get together for dinner Saturday night?

Or come out to the track and visit for a while ...

On a side note ... after changing brake rotors, pads and fluid, I took the beast out on the hiway and was doing "laps" between a pair of cross-overs on a divided hiway. Run it up to 70 and brake hard to 30 several times.

I really started smelling the brake pads ... sorta like smelling a new motor fire for the first time, I love that smell. What was even more awesome was the thick, billowing smoke coming off the rotors from the fender wells. Turned a few heads ... :D

I cleaned the rotor surface good, but didn't clean the veins at all.

Awesome!

Fbody383
06-19-2010, 09:21 PM
I'm taking the Caddy to H2R this coming weekend u suxor.

Awesome! see above.

RichardP
06-19-2010, 10:00 PM
I'm taking the Caddy to H2R this coming weekend with the Driver's Edge to have a little bit of casual ... fun.

Great. I'll be out there with my blue car. See you there...

Richard P.

mitchntx
06-19-2010, 10:30 PM

Great. I'll be out there with my blue car. See you there...

Richard P.

Blue car?

That's a Yaris, right?

cjlmlml
06-21-2010, 11:30 AM
Mitch, you are really really awesome.

ShadowBolt
06-21-2010, 12:20 PM
Please report back on the condition of the track surface. My brother does track days on a Motorcycle and he did a Doug Polen school there a few months back and said the track was great. He was told that Doug has since done another event at H2R a few weeks ago and said he will not return until the track has been resurfaced. What could have happened in the three or four months between events? The word washboard was used. I do not know if any of this is true but it's the word going around.

I found this on a recent M/C forum.

But here's the downside: That mother fucker is B U M P Y. So bumpy my entire body hurts. Imagine someone paving the woops of a motorcross course! Seriously, I've never seen pavement so bumpy in my life. The surface itself is grippy and smooth at a detail level, but on a 3-4ft level, it's full of bumps everywhere. Street suspension setups would be best here -- it is so seriously unimaginably bumpy. Bumpy. Bumpy. I can not describe how rough and how badly this track beats you up.

JJ

Crumpacker
06-21-2010, 12:29 PM
Damn it Mitch... i already committed to the TWS event! We could have had a V fast-lap challenge.. or driven by each other while on 2 wheels or something.

Summertime Harris Hill sound fun and all, but you have to take it out in some winter rain to impress me.

Nov '09

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af110/samcrumpacker/pds%2011%2009/caddyrain1.jpg

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af110/samcrumpacker/pds%2011%2009/caddyrain4.jpg

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af110/samcrumpacker/pds%2011%2009/caddyrain6.jpg

There's nothing like the feeling of heated seats on your a$$ while passing c6 z's in the rain. :wink:

Have a blast Man!!

mitchntx
06-21-2010, 02:47 PM
Mitch, you are really really awesome.

Don't forget humble as well.

Will do, Jerry ... last out there is was glass smooth ...

Damn it Mitch... i already committed to the TWS event! We could have had a V fast-lap challenge.. or driven by each other while on 2 wheels or something.

That's OK ... I had enough of you last weekend ...

mirror, windshield, mirror, windshield, mirror, windshield ...

David Love AI27
06-21-2010, 04:04 PM
I was just hired by TDE to run grid.... Sheri and I will be there and would love to join you for dinner....

mitchntx
06-21-2010, 05:32 PM
I was just hired by TDE to run grid.... Sheri and I will be there and would love to join you for dinner....

Just to be 100% clear ... I ain't buyin' your dinner ... 'cept maybe for Sheri. :wink:

David Love AI27
06-21-2010, 09:23 PM

Just to be 100% clear ... I ain't buyin' your dinner ... 'cept maybe for Sheri. :wink:

got the message... crystal...

donovan
06-25-2010, 09:28 AM
But here's the downside: That mother fucker is B U M P Y. So bumpy my entire body hurts. Imagine someone paving the woops of a motorcross course! Seriously, I've never seen pavement so bumpy in my life. The surface itself is grippy and smooth at a detail level, but on a 3-4ft level, it's full of bumps everywhere. Street suspension setups would be best here -- it is so seriously unimaginably bumpy. Bumpy. Bumpy. I can not describe how rough and how badly this track beats you up.

I run my track prepared Miata there a lot, and it’s not a problem. I have a stiffer suspension than spec Miata and have an aluminum seat fixed mounted to the frame. My body never gets hurt like the person above described. I do alter my line in one section of the track to avoid a bump, but its not a problem. (Jerry, I know that was quoted from your post, but not your explanation)

Oh, the track is bumpy! But only in three places, and one can’t hide or tone down how bumpy it is, it’s pretty harsh in two of those places. The track is not bumpy everywhere! It does have some bumpy spots, but not everywhere.

The three places where the track is bumpy is a result of not installing drainage to pipe under the track where runoff water from heavy rains travels though the property. Surface drainage is low cost and easy, but sometimes there is a side effect of sub-surface shifting in heavy clay soils. It was a lesson learned that now is better understood and they are working on a schedule to repair those sections and add some drainage to keep this from happening again.

For those that like to pull out there ‘Jump to Conclusion Mats’, I have also read in a couple forums people talking about how the track was made on the cheap or made substandard. Any normal person with a brain would notice that while entering the track the county roads near the track are having the same issues, but 2x worse or maybe more. This shows that the track was better built as its holding up better than the county roads around it.

Just wanted to give a better explanation.
DD

Fbody383
06-25-2010, 09:46 AM
For those that like to pull out there ‘Jump to Conclusion Mats’, I have also read in a couple forums people talking about how the track was made on the cheap or made substandard.

I'm guessing those folks have no scratch involved.

I just want to see you get in/out of a Miata. :shock:

mitchntx
06-25-2010, 10:12 AM

in 10 seconds ...

ShadowBolt
06-25-2010, 10:19 AM

I run my track prepared Miata there a lot, and it’s not a problem. I have a stiffer suspension than spec Miata and have an aluminum seat fixed mounted to the frame. My body never gets hurt like the person above described. I do alter my line in one section of the track to avoid a bump, but its not a problem. (Jerry, I know that was quoted from your post, but not your explanation)

Oh, the track is bumpy! But only in three places, and one can’t hide or tone down how bumpy it is, it’s pretty harsh in two of those places. The track is not bumpy everywhere! It does have some bumpy spots, but not everywhere.

The three places where the track is bumpy is a result of not installing drainage to pipe under the track where runoff water from heavy rains travels though the property. Surface drainage is low cost and easy, but sometimes there is a side effect of sub-surface shifting in heavy clay soils. It was a lesson learned that now is better understood and they are working on a schedule to repair those sections and add some drainage to keep this from happening again.

For those that like to pull out there ‘Jump to Conclusion Mats’, I have also read in a couple forums people talking about how the track was made on the cheap or made substandard. Any normal person with a brain would notice that while entering the track the county roads near the track are having the same issues, but 2x worse or maybe more. This shows that the track was better built as its holding up better than the county roads around it.

Just wanted to give a better explanation.
DD

David, did the big rain down that way do this all at once? As I said my brother went a few months ago and loved it!

JJ

donovan
06-25-2010, 12:05 PM
I'm guessing those folks have no scratch involved.

True.

The reality is some people don’t know the whole story or their explanation of what they experienced is much different than what someone else experiences. It’s along the same lines of “glass half empty” or “glass half full” type of person. I just wanted to give an explanation that in my opinion is not biased or exaggerated.

I do get some funny looks when get out, I guess seeing a 6’ 270 lbs man slide out of a lowered Miata looks strange. It doesn't help that my seat is mounted directly to the frame, flat on the floor of the car.

in 10 seconds ...

I can get out in 10 seconds no problem, if I can open the door. If for some reason I can’t open the door, I’m screwed! I have not bolted the hardtop on for a reason!

David, did the big rain down that way do this all at once? As I said my brother went a few months ago and loved it!

No, it started slow early last year; in two places where most of the drainage flow over the track. It has gotten worse in the last 6 months. I have not been involved with any of the design repairs or the drainage corrections, but I have talked directly with the owners and they are working on a plan to correct the bumps and correct the issue causing them.

Wirtz
06-25-2010, 04:28 PM
I hope they are able to get it fixed up. It was a fun little track and still a great option for a Rookie Day event I think.

My poor little weak-nut 305 ALMOST felt as fast as Robs 302 coming back down the hill :lol:
http://vimeo.com/3544417

ShadowBolt
06-25-2010, 06:58 PM
Mitch,

Are you going to be there both days or only one? I may drive the Lightning down and see you guys.
Maybe Rick will let me take a lap in the Lightning. It looks like a fun track.

JJ

mitchntx
06-26-2010, 04:22 PM
Mitch,

Are you going to be there both days or only one? I may drive the Lightning down and see you guys.

JJ

Good to see you today.

ShadowBolt
06-26-2010, 06:34 PM
Mitch,

JJ

Good to see you today.

Thanks Mitch, good to get to see you and Steve and the rest.

I drove the Lightning down to H2R and Rick was nice enough to let me take a few laps. Mitch and Steve were there in their street cars along with DL running grid for TDE, David D. hanging around and Chris M. and Richard P. instructing. Chris is getting around with a bit of a limp but he is getting around without any help. Went to lunch with Steve and Mitch and really enjoied myself. After only two laps (I only ran two with Yellow and then two with blue) when the top radiator hose popped off (with the clamp still in place). It was a little bit of a handfull when the antifreeze hit the rear tires. Put the hose back on, filled with water and all was okay. The track is a blast. A little bumpy but not a problem for track days. Sure would be fun to race there. David did a great job designing this track!

JJ

mitchntx
06-27-2010, 08:06 AM
I agree ... the track has a few bumps and has a few "ramps" if you hit them just right.

Consider it a wider, more humid version of Eagles Canyon

marshall_mosty
06-27-2010, 03:49 PM
"... for those that like to pull out there ‘Jump to Conclusion Mat(t)s’..."
Who mentioned MFW?? I didn't think he had an opinion on this matter... 8)