PDA

View Full Version : Publicity / recruitment idea

Casey_SS
06-28-2010, 12:34 PM
Seen several posts and great ideas on ways to get more exposure for the series and build car count. I'll offer up yet another...

Not sure if this has been discussed before or not but what if those of us who live in the same area pick a day or two a year to all go out to our local dragstrip / autocross and make an appearance? It'd be fun #1 (provided nobody grenades a rear end) and #2 it could go a long way in driving exposure with the crowd most likely to take a real interest in what we're doing. Just a thought....talk amongst yourselves :)

Fbody383
06-28-2010, 12:52 PM
I'm thinking about dragging mine to the Texas Mile ~ pull the mirrors, tape the seams and let it rip.

GlennCMC70
06-28-2010, 02:39 PM
The big stopper for me is a CMC car is classed as a CP car in Autocross.
I would need different tires.

Drag racing, Thjats more interesting. Stock 10 bolt??? Good luck. I've done 1.8 60's on one w/ a 3600 lb car making 200+ more HP. I guess it would hold up fine. Drop a pair of OEM rear springs in it and let her rip.

Texas Mile!!! Yes, I really want to see what a CMC car can do.

Alien
06-28-2010, 03:00 PM
Actually, For Autocross, I'm sure you could get classed in BSP as that is where ASedan cars are placed (since we're sooooo close to an ASedan level of prep)

Problem with drag racing I see is people who drag race would be discouraged at racing such 'slow' cars. Drag racers don't like stock engines. :)

mitchntx
06-29-2010, 10:10 AM
Actually, For Autocross, I'm sure you could get classed in BSP as that is where ASedan cars are placed (since we're sooooo close to an ASedan level of prep)

Problem with drag racing I see is people who drag race would be discouraged at racing such 'slow' cars. Drag racers don't like stock engines. :)

They prefer to spend thousands on driveline because they're $100 brake rotors are "too expensive".

BryanL
06-29-2010, 01:46 PM
Drag Racing-Don't think you will pass tech without side windows. Also, with the battery in the back you are suppossed to have an external on/off switch sticking out the rear of the car.
The way to recruit I think is through the HPDE ranks. Which around here means going to the groups other than NASA to find people actually interested in going wheel to wheel.

gt40
06-29-2010, 08:17 PM
The way to recruit I think is through the HPDE ranks. Which around here means going to the groups other than NASA to find people actually interested in going wheel to wheel.Love, Crumpacker and I got TWS PDS covered!

HoustonNW
06-29-2010, 11:30 PM
The way to recruit I think is through the HPDE ranks. Which around here means going to the groups other than NASA to find people actually interested in going wheel to wheel.Love, Crumpacker and I got TWS PDS covered!

Well maybe, I did about 20 track days at TWS over two years with TWS Motorsports Club and The Driver's Edge and didn't have any desire to do W2W.

I got interested in competition and found NASA time trials though talking to a TT'er at one of the above events.

It was probably this forum that convinced me to buy a race car.

Soooooo, "we" could probably do a better job at the HPDEs. But it needs to be a soft sell because a most of the track day guys that I knew when I started are still doing track days.

way2neary
06-30-2010, 05:56 AM
For what its worth, you guys found me on Rookie Day when I was attending a normal HPDE session. That event went a long way toward convincing me to run with you guys.

I recall that the Mustang Club of Houston has an annual track day at TWS. That may be a good place to recruit too. I would assume their is a Camaro Club that does the same.

kbrewmr2
06-30-2010, 10:41 AM
DE -> TT is an easy sell

once they're in TT, racing is an easier sell ;)

gt40
06-30-2010, 03:17 PM
IMHO -- one of the biggest obstacles to racing is the perceived danger.

Racing IS dangerous, but the general public has been trained to think if you race your car, you'll wreck it in almost every race. All the racing highlight shows concentrate on the accidents (among other things.) and rereally lurid ones make it to the opening graphics for the races (remember Joey Hand's big end-over-end crash at Mid Ohio? You see it at the start of every ALMS broadcast now.)

TT deals with that a bit, once you get through to them that time trials are fundamentally different from w2w, but even that can be difficult.

What we need is a way to demonstrate to the public that our kind of racing isn't as dangerous as they've been led to believe.

BryanL
06-30-2010, 03:40 PM

Racing IS dangerous, but the general public has been trained to think if you race your car, you'll wreck it in almost every race. All the racing highlight shows concentrate on the accidents (among other things.) and rereally lurid ones make it to the opening graphics for the races (remember Joey Hand's big end-over-end crash at Mid Ohio? You see it at the start of every ALMS broadcast now.)

TT deals with that a bit, once you get through to them that time trials are fundamentally different from w2w, but even that can be difficult.

What we need is a way to demonstrate to the public that our kind of racing isn't as dangerous as they've been led to believe.

Then you can't take Glenn's car out anywhere as an example! :lol:
Glenn you in town this weekend? I should be over at the house one day this weekend.

Alien
06-30-2010, 04:36 PM
The public? I wouldn't waste time trying to educate the public. First mention of road racing usually gets ugly stares. Then you spend a few minutes trying to explain that road racing != street racing as the back away from you, you evil person you.

AutoX and DE's are your fishing grounds

GlennCMC70
06-30-2010, 04:55 PM

Then you can't take Glenn's car out anywhere as an example! :lol:
Glenn you in town this weekend? I should be over at the house one day this weekend.

I should be some. Only plans I have is to go to Mitch's to bend some tube for a couple new cars.

gt40
07-01-2010, 09:29 AM
The public? I wouldn't waste time trying to educate the public. First mention of road racing usually gets ugly stares. Then you spend a few minutes trying to explain that road racing != street racing as the back away from you, you evil person you.

AutoX and DE's are your fishing groundsBy "public" I mean all non-racing folk, which happens to include AutoX and DE folks.

Instructing at TWS PDS, I talk to a LOT of folks about NASA and getting into competitive driving (TT and entry-level W2W.) By far, the most common concern is damage to the car.

AllZWay
07-01-2010, 01:11 PM
I wouldn't waste time trying to educate the public. First mention of road racing usually gets ugly stares. Then you spend a few minutes trying to explain that road racing != street racing as the back away from you, you evil person you.

This is usually the problem I always I get when mentioning road racing among the drag racing and dirt track guys.

They usually think "open road racing" if it even registers as what the heck it is. :roll:

jeffburch
07-01-2010, 02:56 PM
If I was running TWS, I would put in an 1/8mi drag strip, a 1/5mi dirt oval, a 1/3mi paved oval and maybe a motocross track. Maybe a kart track and a skateboard park.
I used to race motocross at a place in Corpus called Speedway park. On Saturday nite you paid one admission price and you got to see motocross,paved oval racing and.........wait for it.........mud drags.
Man, they had good hotdogs.

Jb

jeremiahkellam
07-02-2010, 08:21 AM
If I was running TWS, I would put in an 1/8mi drag strip, a 1/5mi dirt oval, a 1/3mi paved oval and maybe a motocross track. Maybe a kart track and a skateboard park.
I used to race motocross at a place in Corpus called Speedway park. On Saturday nite you paid one admission price and you got to see motocross,paved oval racing and.........wait for it.........mud drags.

Jb

No bumper cars???

rpoz27
07-06-2010, 01:11 PM

Jb

No bumper cars???

Isn't that AI/CMC?

I like Jeff's idea. I think the kart track should go in first. We already have a 1/4 mile strip and a paved 1 mile and 2 mile oval. Can do mud drags from turn 6-7 driver's left after a rain. As for motocross, we can get Glenn to consult, he's in the dirt a lot. :P

Rob Liebbe
07-06-2010, 03:50 PM
Who woke Grandpa Burch up?