PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Bike

BryanL
07-23-2010, 01:38 PM
Looking for something comfortable to ride around the neighborhood and get some exercise. Figure a mountain bike would be the way to go over a 10 speed but any with experience chime in. I know Francis claims to be an ex racer and Mosty probably should be on America's Funniest Home Videos.

michaelmosty
07-23-2010, 01:56 PM
I have one I'll sell ya. Has a bent front wheel but they aren't that expensive. :lol:

BryanL
07-23-2010, 02:09 PM
This is a mountain bike and not your paperboy pit bike right?

Fbody383
07-23-2010, 02:20 PM
I have one I'll sell ya. Has a bent front wheel but they aren't that expensive. :lol:

Al hit you on the trail? I keed, I keed...

BL ~ do you really just want to cruise the neighborhood? Seriously, look at a decent beach cruiser: single speed, coaster brake, big soft tires and seat. You'll even have room for a basket.

If you want to do something semi-mountain bike-ish, that's a different story. I ended up buying a Klein over a Trek for feel. I would stay away from full suspension and expect to spend around $600-750 for something worthwhile; i.e. durable, comfortable, decent handling and performance.

If it makes you feel better my current bike stable goes:

1984 GT BMX Bike
1988ish Cannondale road bike - unridden; may become the boy's ride
200X (I forget) Klein MTB
2002 Airborne Ti road bike (not quite 1/2 a CMC car... but it's SO sweet)

Let me know if you want more.

I really think you should look at a cruiser. (http://bikebarn.com/product/trek-cruiser-classic-steel-deluxe-59779-1.htm) or this. (http://www.sevencycles.com/road/axiom_slx.php) 8)

michaelmosty
07-23-2010, 02:55 PM
Bryan, not really looking to sell it, I'll get her fixed and ride again.

To add to what Dave said, depending on when you need it, I'd buy a bike at the end of the year and you'll save a ton with all the end of season specials. A decent front suspension bike will be around $700 like Dave said where a full suspension bike will be $1,200 and up.
Mine is an 09 GT 1.0, front suspension, front and rear hydraulic disc setup that was originally $800 and I got it for $430. Look for a bike with a lock out on the front suspension for riding on the street.

We can talk more at TWS.

BryanL
07-23-2010, 03:08 PM
I'm not spending a set of Toyo's on a bike and have no interest in trying to look like Steroid Armstrong. Part of me was just messing with Michael "Nitro Circus" Mosty. But I want to give a bike a try at getting some exercise with something thats easy on my knees. So having something that comfortable is key. I don't want a seat like Mosty has that probably resembles Misty's fuel filter.
My Dad has a reproduction Schwinn beach cruiser but it doesn't have a good feel at all.
Is a mountain bike the way to go if I want to go out for a 30 minute bike ride? I think I would be on pavement most of the time but who knows. Shouldn't I get something with gears? Is a mtn bike more comfortable because of the tires than a road bike?

Rob Liebbe
07-23-2010, 03:58 PM
I have a mountain bike - its old school with no suspension and cable brakes. The advantage that mountain bikes have is that you sit more upright and not on your nuts, more comfortable in my opinion. Michael or Francis might like their nuts crushed, but I don't. For what you describe, get something basic and relatively cheap (not Wal-Mart cheap) or even used. I'll have mine at TWS - I'll even lower the seat so you can try it out.

BryanL
07-23-2010, 04:17 PM
I have a mountain bike - its old school with no suspension and cable brakes. The advantage that mountain bikes have is that you sit more upright and not on your nuts, more comfortable in my opinion. Michael or Francis might like their nuts crushed, but I don't. For what you describe, get something basic and relatively cheap (not Wal-Mart cheap) or even used. I'll have mine at TWS - I'll even lower the seat so you can try it out.

Now thats some good info. Even though I am likely through making baby's I don't want my nuts to go numb. I have been told that you have to have the bike perfect for your height but I think that was for a high mileage bike racer type. But lowering the seat would help and might give me some confidence to do something stupid. Though I doubt I come to TWS to lose 10 lbs in 2 days of heat.

ShadowBolt
07-23-2010, 04:57 PM
Here you go BL.
Cool retro bike for you.

http://www.ioffer.com/i/sky-king-tricycle-pink-princess-retro-biker-new-136761655?source=eiesi

JJ

way2neary
07-23-2010, 06:20 PM
Hey Bryan

I was able to pick up a Mongoose mountain bike with all Shimano parts for $300 at Wal Mart. They are not always in stock, but come through every now and again. The bike has all the features of an $800 bike, and its both comfortable and durable.

GlennCMC70
07-23-2010, 07:50 PM
Hey Bryan

I was able to pick up a Mongoose mountain bike with all Shimano parts for $300 at Wal Mart. They are not always in stock, but come through every now and again. The bike has all the features of an $800 bike, and its both comfortable and durable.

Similar to what I have now.

BryanL
07-26-2010, 12:34 PM
Looks like lots of good deals on craigslist in DFW. I don't have a clue what size bike I need or what brands styles are good. I'll be looking to ride any bikes I see in the pits at TWS.

michaelmosty
07-26-2010, 03:39 PM
Bryan, I know some manufacturers measure the bike height in inches and some do it in small, medium, large, etc.
My bike is a medium and I was told you want about a 1-2" gap from the center bar to your balls.

Rob Liebbe
07-26-2010, 07:14 PM
Bryan,

You can go to any of the ture bike shops and they will fit you for a bike. They are also glad to help with any questions.