PDA

View Full Version : Cage Builder - Houston

wgriffin4
07-26-2010, 02:04 PM
Looking for a recommendation on a cage builders in Houston. We need to have a custom cage built for our Lemons SN95 Mustang.

I have tried to contact Greg Lucas but have not been able to get a hold of him.

Thanks for the help.

Bill Griffin

kbrewmr2
07-27-2010, 09:00 AM
Lucas is the place to go - they're popular and very busy for a reason. Keep trying, worth being patient with :)

Fbody383
07-27-2010, 03:56 PM
If you can, drop by their shop during the day. See some of their work and talk to the folks.

cobra132
07-28-2010, 09:57 AM
You can always order one from Day Motorsports and do it yourself. Cost us about $300. FMR

Jrod
08-05-2010, 11:08 PM
You can always order one from Day Motorsports and do it yourself. Cost us about $300. FMR

That might not be the best route unless you're a very good welder. Putting in floor mounting plates is one thing, but welding the windshield bar overhead, sprawled across the steering column with the gun between glass and the A-pillar... not the place to hone your craft.

15.6.15 Welds
All welding must be of the highest quality with full penetration and shall conform to the American Welding Society D1.1, 1994 Edition, Structural Welding Code, Chapter 10, Tubular Structures and Standards for the material used. ... strongly recommended that the welder inspect all welds using Magnaflux™, x-ray, or other effective methods. All tubes must be welded 360-degrees around the circumference of the tube.

Lemons isn't exactly NASA, but you're just as likely (perhaps moreso) to actually use the cage.

I wonder how many cage builders actually read, understand, and conform to the D1.1 code specified in the CCR. That's a heck of a book (which is up to the 2010 version now, but I'm sure it's pretty much the same requirements).

/rant off

Having said all that, we bought a Jeg's rear drag kit, bent up some forward bars and burned it all in with a Lincoln promig 140. And certainly none of us are certified welders.

Rob Liebbe
08-05-2010, 11:22 PM
Safety gear including cages demand the right stuff. Don't skimp or take risks.

wgriffin4
08-06-2010, 06:34 PM
Thank you all for the input..... The car is over at Lucas' now. I have been racing for over 10 years and 1 thing I do not skimp on is safety. I have seen a few cars on their roof and others hit the wall hard....if it were not for an excellent cage and safety devices the drivers would not have made it out alive.

After the Lemons care is done, I plan on building a CMC2 or AI Mustang....just not enough time in the day to get it all done at the same time.

Again thank you for the help.

Bill Griffin