PDA

View Full Version : Austin's F1 track...

gt40
07-26-2010, 04:31 PM
Anyone down in Austin see signs of any progress? Lots of contruction trucks (concrete, gravel, etc...) driving around would be a good clue.

this just appeared on Corner Carvers:

A coworker of mine flew down to San Antonio this past weekend with his wife and saw something interesting on the way back north. He said that somewhere to the west of Austin was a giant development, clearly a motorsports road course, under construction but very far along. Along with the track itself there was a giant concrete apron poured, but no construction on it yet. I'm bugging him to tell me exactly where he saw it, but he said he was more concerned with dodging the giant thunderstorms popping up all around him then noting exactly where he was. All he can say for sure is west or northwest of Austin. He said he's going to go back to the plane this weekend and pull the data from his GPS to get a better idea.

The location's wrong, but Helmund might be blowing a lot of smoke to hide the actual location of the track. I don't think a pilot would be getting his compass orientation wrong.

Chuck
07-26-2010, 06:36 PM
There is a new facility under construction in the Austin area. I believe that is the new DPS Tactical Training Center under construction now in west Williamson county.

I hope this new F1 tracks does get built, but don't hold your breath yet.

Chuck
CMC#14

jeffburch
07-27-2010, 07:34 AM
News conference today. Location supposedly disclosed.

JB

Chuck
07-27-2010, 09:51 AM
After thinking this had no shot of working, things are looking up.

Claim is the money is Red McCombs. He has the money if that is real.

Build it!!!

On the google map, the lake in the center is in the center of the track.

Chuck
CMC#14

AUSTIN (KXAN) - KXAN is first to learn businessman Billy Joe “Red” McCombs is the principal investor in the new Formula 1 track to be built in Austin. Sources close to the project confirmed that news Tuesday.

The founder of the Red McCombs Automotive Groups and co-founder of Clear Channel Communications was set to join the man responsible for bringing the track to Austin, Tavo Hellmund, and various Formula 1 officials Tuesday morning at the AT&T Executive Education and Conference Center at the University of Texas.

The center is part of McCombs’ UT namesake, the McCombs School of Business. In addition to making Forbes magazine’s top 400 richest Americans in 2005, he was also a former owner of the San Antonio Spurs, Denver Nuggets, and the Minnesota Vikings.

The group plans to announce the exact site of the track, thought to be in the general area just to the east of the Austin-Bergstom International Airport near Elroy and McAngus Roads , north of FM 812 and east of State Highway 130.

The Grand Prix event will be held in Austin between 2012 and 2021. During that time, the event is expected to rake in anywhere from 90-200,000 people each year.

That could mean an economic impact somewhere between $200-400 million. On the low end alone, that's about the same amount brought in by the Austin City Limits Festival and all the University of Texas football home games for an entire season.

http://www.kxan.com/dpp/sports/mccombs-invests-f1-site-revealed

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=elroy,+tx&sll=37.641422,-122.23732&sspn=0.370271,0.583649&dirflg=b&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Elroy,+Texas&ll=30.135329,-97.634811&spn=0.050551,0.072956&t=h&z=14&lci=bike

RichardP
07-27-2010, 11:27 AM
http://www.formula1unitedstates.com/

Richard P.

AllZWay
07-27-2010, 02:08 PM
I signed up to receive information from Richard's link.

I sure would like to attend the first race there.

Fbody383
07-27-2010, 03:55 PM
When asked how he hoped the return would be, McCombs said "I hope it will be immense."

Nice.

Wirtz
07-28-2010, 09:27 AM
More of the same info here, but the photo shows the size / shape of the plot of land.

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/239862/us-grand-prix-reveals-site-for-race/

ShadowBolt
07-28-2010, 09:52 AM
Great place for NASA Nationals.

JJ

gt40
07-28-2010, 12:15 PM
Great place for NASA Nationals.

JJAbsolutely! (Regular NASA races too!) :DContractually, how long will be be at Miller, and is NASA obligated to rteturn to MidOhio afterwards? I'd love to see the Nats rotate between the three locations.

Fbody383
07-28-2010, 01:53 PM
(I)s NASA obligated to rteturn to MidOhio afterwards?

I understand it to be MO for '11 and '12. Who else is planning NOW to go next year?

GlennCMC70
07-28-2010, 05:36 PM
Originally Mid O was a 5 year deal. After 3 events, they moved it to Miller for 2. They will complete their 5 year obligation by running at Mid O for the next two. So 11 and 12 will be Mid O w/ anyone guess after that.

I do find it odd that you think club racing can afford an F1 quality track for a regional event. I would be shocked to see a NASA National event there too. I would love it, but I dont see it happening.

Geography wise, it makes sence. 3 in the north east, 2 in the north west, 2 more back in the north east and 3 in the south central.

Fbody383
07-28-2010, 06:14 PM
I do find it odd that you think club racing can afford an F1 quality track for a regional event. I would be shocked to see a NASA National event there too. I would love it, but I dont see it happening. That's what's unknown in the business model. But... if you have a track that can be run without using all the fancy garages and suites, why pass up a buck?

Ultimately you may be right but I think only one of the current F1 tracks has only the F1 event on its calendar, the rest run other stuff.

GlennCMC70
07-28-2010, 07:24 PM
I do find it odd that you think club racing can afford an F1 quality track for a regional event. I would be shocked to see a NASA National event there too. I would love it, but I dont see it happening. That's what's unknown in the business model. But... if you have a track that can be run without using all the fancy garages and suites, why pass up a buck?

Ultimately you may be right but I think only one of the current F1 tracks has only the F1 event on its calendar, the rest run other stuff.

Your right, and none of them are Club Racing. Pro level racing is a whole nother matter.

Fbody383
07-28-2010, 08:22 PM
I do find it odd that you think club racing can afford an F1 quality track for a regional event. I would be shocked to see a NASA National event there too. I would love it, but I dont see it happening. Ultimately you may be right but I think only one of the current F1 tracks has only the F1 event on its calendar, the rest run other stuff.

Your right, and none of them are Club Racing. Pro level racing is a whole nother matter.

But a quick search finds at least Silverstone, Hockenheim and Monza have either their own cars and/or open track events and track rental for testing.

I agree with you that is might be cost prohibitive. Make sure to tell all your friends that since Texas taxpayers are putting up some of the $$$ there should be some availability. Even the big pro stadiums host college/high school events at their facilities.

And I just don't want to you get in the last word.

GlennCMC70
07-28-2010, 10:10 PM
OK.

David Love AI27
07-28-2010, 10:19 PM
But a quick search finds at least Silverstone, have either their own cars and/or open track events and track rental for testing.

I was at Silverstone one sunday evening and they were wrapping up a weekend of NASA style racing... 2 day event with multiple groups...

kbrewmr2
07-29-2010, 08:52 AM
if it weren't in the middle of nowhere Miller would've already hosted F1...

Fbody383
07-29-2010, 10:18 AM
OK. If you weren't the 2X National Champ and 2010 runner-up (and my hero) I wouldn't give you so much respect.

Oh, for your birthday James and Mitch are sending you to do the Richard Petty thing. Just don't hit the pace car.

Who else is *really* interested in going to the F1 event should it happen? Are you going to sacrifice a race weekend in a schedule conflict?

AllZWay
07-29-2010, 11:12 AM
Who else is *really* interested in going to the F1 event should it happen? Are you going to sacrifice a race weekend in a schedule conflict?

I am not even a big F1 fan, but I would love to attend the inaugural event of F1 in Texas.

RichardP
07-29-2010, 12:17 PM
Who else is *really* interested in going to the F1 event should it happen?

I will be at the Austin F1 event.

Richard P.

Wirtz
07-29-2010, 01:32 PM
I'm planning on it.

GlennCMC70
07-29-2010, 03:51 PM
OK. If you weren't the 2X National Champ and 2010 runner-up (and my hero) I wouldn't give you so much respect.

Oh, for your birthday James and Mitch are sending you to do the Richard Petty thing. Just don't hit the pace car.

Donuts for Francis.

gt40
07-29-2010, 04:39 PM
Who else is *really* interested in going to the F1 event should it happen?
I will be at the Austin F1 event.Same here.

I've been thinking about a big, fancy track catering to club racers.

Why wouldn't they? I can't see a fancy track's expences being that much out of line compared to other, lesser, tracks. The mortgage is the same whether you run 1 or 100. Utility expenses will be minimal, and staffing will be pretty small (EMT crew, A couple of tow trucks, and a handfull of track personnell to keep an eye on things while Corn and Company run things. I just don't see it being all that different from TMS's or TWS's expenses.

Of course they may cop an attitude and raise the rates really, really high, an idle track be damned.

In the end, a wise company will adjust the rates so that all (or nearly all) the available time is booked. After all, and idle track doesn't earn anyone any money.

GlennCMC70
07-29-2010, 06:11 PM
As I said, I hope I'm wrong.
For those who have been to Miller - I'm sure your shocked NASA was able to get that one. The place is amazing.

Fbody383
07-29-2010, 06:48 PM
Donuts for Francis. Bear Claw for the former national champ.

Seeing F1 live will be cool. Racing there will be neat... any corner an F1 car can do above some speed we'll just be flat out for a lowly little CMC/2 car. Like a V8 Miata.

GlennCMC70
07-29-2010, 07:41 PM
mmmmmmmmm

kbrewmr2
07-30-2010, 08:43 AM
As I said, I hope I'm wrong.
For those who have been to Miller - I'm sure your shocked NASA was able to get that one. The place is amazing.

eh, I'm not. But I also "grew up" on Road Atl, VIR, etc... not MSR-C and MSR-H :P

Al Fernandez
07-30-2010, 09:14 AM
Some of the F1 tracks are in places that simply have no motorsports activity in the country other than the yearly F1 circus. Cal Speedway is one of the most modern, fanciest facilities in the US and they host everything under the sun. It pays the bills. I see no reason why this track wouldnt operate just like any other track. So in addition to F1, we'll be able to see Rolex, Grand Am and other top shelf events there. Its going to rock!

I cant wait to have a facility like what this will be on the NASA TX calendar. I think nationals there would be a given at some point.

I have no idea how expensive tickes for that first F1 race will be, but I'm going to do whatever I can to be there!! 8)

gt40
07-30-2010, 10:06 AM
I have no idea how expensive tickes for that first F1 race will be, but I'm going to do whatever I can to be there!! 8)Someone in a position of responsibility should look into a group purchase (hint-hint!)

I wonder of NASA would spring for a suite? (Yeah -- right!)

Wirtz
07-30-2010, 10:09 AM
I hope it ends up being a new place to play. It is always nice to have a big mix of events. Maybe it means the NASA schedule will grow? ;) First things first I guess...

But we will see, we still do not race at TMS. Thought I heard it was too expensive. Not that it is the best road course I have seen, but I've run it several times with SCCA and it is a fun track and cool to be there.

gt40
08-24-2010, 03:56 PM
Chris Taylor says a construction entrance set up for heavy equipment (think earth-movers,) has appeared at the track site. Signs of progress...

RichardP
09-01-2010, 09:53 AM
http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/f1-austin-texas-formula-one-us-grand-prix-track-borrows-classic-corners/

Richard P.

MikeP99Z
09-01-2010, 10:12 AM
http://jalopnik.com/5627066/this-is-austins-us-grand-prix-formula-1-track

BlueFirePony
09-01-2010, 01:58 PM
Stilll digesting - its obviously configured for CCW but running clockwise would be interesting as heck!

Rsmith350
09-02-2010, 08:07 PM
Stilll digesting - its obviously configured for CCW but running clockwise would be interesting as heck!

"Hey man....nice race car. Taken it off any sweet jumps lately?"

BlueFirePony
09-03-2010, 11:26 AM

"Hey man....nice race car. Taken it off any sweet jumps lately?"
"Just the one time...when I ran out of brakes..."