PDA

View Full Version : Driver Exiting Vehicle

Fbody383
08-01-2010, 10:21 PM
25.10 Crashes
If a driver is involved in a major crash or roll-over, the driver may exit the vehicle if it is safe to do so. The driver is responsible for determining if and when he/she should exit the vehicle. Once clear of the vehicle the driver will wait in a safe area away from the track surface and impact zones until the Emergency Response Team arrives. A driver that has exited the car may walk back to the paddock by a safe route away from the racing surface and impact areas. Also see CCR section #25.7.

25.7 Post Accident Reporting
All persons involved in any “Significant Accidents” are REQUIRED to report to the medical staff immediately. Failure to do so WILL result in suspension. “SignificantAccidents are:
1. All vehicle roll-overs, regardless of damage.
2. Heavy impact rendering the vehicle inoperable.

After seeing the Liebbe-Landrum incident I had to look it up to make sure; In my mind the default was to stay in the car.

I understand potential fire risk and told the corner guy at Hallett last year that if he's coming to the car with a fire extinguisher I'm getting out.

I'll take any wisdom you guys have on when/why you're going to get out of the car unassisted during a hot session.

Rob Liebbe
08-01-2010, 10:32 PM
If you watch my in-car video you will see flames coming out of the hood for a split second. That was enough for me. I had pulled the car to a safe location behind the concrete wall on the NASCAR back straight. My only mistake was that when the door did not open right away I tried a couple of times to try figure it out before deciding to go out the window. This cost me 4 or 5 seconds. I actually left that on the video on purpose as I thought it was a good lesson for me and everyone else. Practice doing this. Also, don't forget to pull the safety pin on your fire system BEFORE the session as it may not be easily acessible when you need to pull it. Mine was pulled and armed. I also carry a small portable bottle in the car for any external needs.

BlueFirePony
08-02-2010, 06:48 AM
When I finally settled on the wall at Hallet my left hand hit the kill switch and my right went to the fire pull. I though I might roll over so I kept my belt on and was thinking through a passenger side exit. When I determined I was stable and did not see fire or smoke I made the decision to wait for safety crew. That took about 20 seconds ...maybe less? The car fired right up after they got all wheels on the ground and I drove the car back. Had the car not been stable I might have had a tough decision in the heat of the moment.

Fbody383
08-02-2010, 08:36 AM
If you watch my in-car video you will see flames coming out of the hood for a split second. That was enough for me. I did NOT notice that in the umpteen times I've watched it; I'll look again and that's a good reminder on the fire system safety.

My only mistake was that when the door did not open right away I tried a couple of times to try figure it out before deciding to go out the window. This cost me 4 or 5 seconds. I wouldn't wish it on anybody, but sometimes the actual emergency gets the rest of us thinking.

Ultimately, I'm glad both of you guys are as physically sound as you were when you took the green.

AllZWay
08-02-2010, 08:44 AM
When I hit the wall.... I sat for just a second or two to make sure I was okay and nothing was broken.

Then I checked to see that the car was not on fire and everything appeared okay....so I waited for Safety to arrive and I asked them if I could get out.

Oh... and I did the nascar trick of dropping my window net to let everyone know I was okay.

kbrewmr2
08-02-2010, 09:37 AM
Was anyone on here around when the Porsche caught fire on grid at about 3pm or so on Sunday? :shock:

Practice your exits in as close to realistic conditions as you can. Have your gear on at the very least, but I've heard of some people going as far as to blindfold themselves after they had it down to simulate blinding smoke and such.

As far as when to exit I'm only coming out of the car if its on fire. It may be hotter, but, you're in your own safety cell that way should anything go T.U. in your direction. If you ended up there, someone else could end up there too.

GlennCMC70
08-02-2010, 10:02 AM
Rob and myself were in a very safe location - the back straight between T10 and T4. We moved to the wall and waited for the safety crew. We had already let the crew and NASA know we were OK by dropping the window nets, and by us talking and shaking hands. In fact, the safety crew was OK w/ us sitting there till the race was over untill I asked to talk w/ the medics.

I dont think I did anything wrong. I talked w/ Clifton after and he said he had no issues w/ anything.

Fbody383
08-02-2010, 10:19 AM
I dont think I did anything wrong. I talked w/ Clifton after and he said he had no issues w/ anything. Yeah, not knowing TWS well, it did look like you guys were in a safe place.

And "trouble," suspension, whatever... if the hooptie is on fire, I'm getting out of it.

Thanks for the feeback guys.

rpoz27
08-02-2010, 03:07 PM
Rob did exactly as he should. He pulled into a safe location (at the T4 end of the oval barrier) where he was reasonably protected from vehicles coming toward him by a large concrete barrier and exited his vehicle. His car could still have been smoldering even though there were no longer visible flames.

Glenn pulled to the opposite end of that barrier (toward the T10 side) and exited the vehicle. For future reference, going CW, that area is an impact zone if someone carries to much speed through 10. Have had several cars hit there for that reason. One driver almost tagged a corner worker's car when he made the mistake of parking there thinking it would be out of the way. Missed the CW's car by a foot. Personally, I would have preferred that you stayed in the car where we know that you would be safe until rescue arrived.

gt40
08-02-2010, 07:47 PM
Personally, I would have preferred that you stayed in the car where we know that you would be safe until rescue arrived.Hard to armchair-quarterback this, but I'm stayin' in the car, UNLESS there's fire. The flash of fire Rob reported would have been enough to push me out of the car in that location. If I were in a more exposed spot, it probably would have taken a bit more.

MikeP99Z
08-02-2010, 08:02 PM
If it's on fire, I'm getting the F#$% out of it. They can red flag it.

gt40
08-02-2010, 09:23 PM
If it's on fire, I'm getting the F#$% out of it. They can red flag it.

Help me Tom Cruise! Tom Cruise, use your witchcraft on me to get the fire off me!

It had to be said.

David Love AI27
08-02-2010, 10:58 PM
From over 10 years of cornerworking, both did a perfect job considering the situation. A few issues standout. Have a complete understanding of the track and "safe areas", NASA and TWS had the track very well covered and Rob and Glenn found areas off of the grass. Fire is a major issue. It is very important to signal a corner station. The workers at T4 could not see the cars behind the wall but T3 and T10 could. Anytime you exit a car, make sure you signal a corner worker so the know how to respond. What if we made a contest for exiting a car?... more later, time for a beer..

Rob Liebbe
08-03-2010, 07:44 AM
We did have a "contest" in post-race tech back in April - I won. :D

I will try to remember to signal the corner workers next time.

MikeP99Z
08-03-2010, 08:09 AM

I'll contest that.

cobra132
08-03-2010, 11:13 AM
Lets make it interesting. A video recorded re-test late sat night at ECR. FMR

Fbody383
08-03-2010, 12:55 PM
Lets make it interesting. A video recorded re-test late sat night at ECR. FMR

Now you're talking; and the video will prove we do more than just drive fast. It's up to you to determine the "preparation" for such test. Just make sure it's mass adjusted or consistent BAL.

gt40
08-03-2010, 02:26 PM

I will try to remember to signal the corner workers next time.That brings up a good question. What is the signal for "I'm OK." I usually don't carry a sign saying that in the race car. Is it exiting the vehicle and:

- not being on fire.
- having 4 working limbs (Martin may have an issue with that.)
- kissing the ground.
- not collapsing?
- not punching anything within reach.
- not running in terror, screaming and ripping off your firesuit?

I just wanna know.

michaelmosty
08-03-2010, 02:41 PM
A "thumbs up" sounds good to me.