PDA

View Full Version : For those that missed Joey Hand's wreck at Mid-Ohio

mitchntx
06-26-2006, 01:37 PM
http://matt.nfscheats.com/videos/sportscars/Handcrash.wmv

:shock:

Hand was released from the hospital a few hours after the race with only minor injuries and soreness.

You guys watch out for that grassy ramp at MO, Okay?

michaelmosty
06-26-2006, 02:00 PM
Wow, not a good place for a "launch ramp"!! Glad to hear he is ok, do you think the damage to the car will buff out? :shock:

AllZWay
06-26-2006, 02:12 PM
That was an incredible wreck. Seems like a really bad place for a jump.

mitchntx
06-26-2006, 02:15 PM
Not trying to make light of a very bad wreck, but one of the first things I thought about were those Carftsman Tool commercial where the maintenance guy, with a tool box, is watching some sort of sports activity (bowling and gymnastics vault come to mind) when the aparatus goes hatwire.

That immediately came to mind as a great way to get Hand's team to snag Craftman Lawn and Garden line as a sponsor.

Make the best of a bad, right?

TEXAST1
06-26-2006, 02:33 PM
Holy Shit!

Incase anyone is going to MId-Ohio for the Nationals. Not a Good Place to Go OFF! :!: :!: :!:

Lewis Tanner
06-26-2006, 02:40 PM
Well, the Texas CMC/AI gang apparently has a long way to go if it wants to regain the coveted hangtime award. Wasn't the flying Aston Martin from a few weeks back at Mid Ohio as well?

gt40
06-26-2006, 03:26 PM
What the Hell is a berm like that doing on a race course? If you wanted to launch a car, that'd be the perfect way to do it.

BTW -- Kudos to the BMW engineers who designed that roll cage!

Boudy
06-26-2006, 03:33 PM
Holy shoo-diddley-diddley!

Ditto! Glad to hear that he's OK.

Boudy

oz98cobra
06-26-2006, 05:11 PM
Wow, Liebbe's got nothing on this guy!

I sure hope that wreck prompts some obviously needed modifications to the track before the nationals - because our cage just isn't that strong!

AI#97
06-26-2006, 06:02 PM
What the Hell is a berm like that doing on a race course? If you wanted to launch a car, that'd be the perfect way to do it.

I need some more bars in the cage!!! :shock:

Todd Covini
06-26-2006, 09:46 PM

I need a roof!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

-=- T

AI#97
06-26-2006, 10:04 PM

I need a roof!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

-=- T

yeah, no kidding...you got arm restraints in the ranchero?! :lol:

Todd Covini
06-26-2006, 10:11 PM
yeah, no kidding...you got arm restraints in the ranchero?! :lol:

Never drive without 'em.
Used my new HANS and my old arm restraints this weekend at SVTOA.

...and it's a Ranchero GT...not just any Ranchero!

-=- T

David Love AI27
06-28-2006, 05:38 PM

GOT CAGE?!?!

I DO!!! never gonna bitch about my excessive cage ever again.

Todd Covini
07-16-2006, 03:14 PM
...and his first hand account of the rollercoaster ride!

http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=222897&FS=GRANDAM-GRANDCUP

Make sure all your safety gear is the best it can be!

-=- T

oz98cobra
07-17-2006, 11:35 AM
Interesting point re the Hans snagging in the window net - it's not the first time I've read that this has happened and impeded a speedy exit from the car. The value of the HANS or similar device is indisputable, as indeed this accident shows, but I wonder if our choice of window nets should not be considered when we drive with a HANS? I'm thinking that the fine mesh window nets might be far less likely to snag up the HANS than the course webbing style ones? Could be better for visibility also?

Mesh style:
http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/saferacer_1902_11611389

Webbing style:
http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/saferacer_1902_10069071

Anyone have input on experience with either style of window net?

Waco Racer
07-17-2006, 12:15 PM
FYI - NASA & MO are aware of this and are moving to correct the problem.

http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=10016&sid=0e60bd1fc100449d64b0bc30a02a5678

AI#97
07-17-2006, 01:49 PM
Anyone have input on experience with either style of window net?

I have a mesh style on my car and it is SO much easier to see through and I would imagine that with the smallish holes in it, that it would be much more difficult to get "hung up" in.

I read Joey's account a couple weeks ago and was surprised of his account of his thoughts while airborne regarding how bad his injuries would be before he hit the first time...several broken bones and all. Then his surprise of no injury and liquid running down on him and then getting caught in the car..... :shock: