PDA

View Full Version : Gotta install a new cam...

gt40
10-04-2010, 04:37 PM
Can anyone help me install and degree a new camshaft? I should be ready to put it in in 3-4 weeks. I think I can get the cam installed, but I've never degreed one before.

marshall_mosty
10-04-2010, 05:49 PM
AI car? Why do you need it degreed? Assuming it came from a reputible (sp?) place, just install it straight up and let the bumps fall where the machine put them...

Color me lazy.

GlennCMC70
10-04-2010, 06:20 PM
I've never degreed a cam before either. Dot to dot and let it rip.

RichardP
10-04-2010, 06:37 PM
It's easy to do once you have access to a degree wheel. Maybe not required with a factory cam, but very important with an aftermarket cam. They can be several degrees off. Make sure you check piston to valve clearance, also.

Richard P.

gt40
10-04-2010, 06:47 PM
Everything I've read, my cam guy, and my engine guy (Wayne Calvert,) all say to degree the cam, just to make sure someone somewhere didn't screw up.

Tolerances stack up the wrong way, someone has a bad day, etc... The actual phasing of the cam depends on:
- The relationship of the keyway in the crank to the crank throws
- The relationship of the keyway in the crank sprocket to the teeth
- The relationship of the teeth in the cam sprocket to the locating dowel on the cam
- The relationship of the dowel to the cam lobes.

That's four things that could be off.

Here's what Crane has to say about it. (http://cranecams.com/?show=article&id=3)

AND I need to check P/V clearance too, which can be one at the same time.

You guys are the first ones who've said to line up the dots and go...

The engine will come out over the fall/winter any way to get some much needed cleanup and niggling stuff done. As long as it is out of the car, I'm going to do the cam right.

Crumpacker
10-04-2010, 07:33 PM
line up the dots and go.

:wink:

gt40
10-04-2010, 07:42 PM
line up the dots and go.

:wink:Dude! You're not even in AI! Don't you want me to make more power so I can stay out of your hair?

Crumpacker
10-04-2010, 07:52 PM
Don't you want me to make more power so I can stay out of your hair?

yes.

Adam Ginsberg
10-07-2010, 10:08 AM
Robert - you need to focus on getting to the track more often instead of making more power.

gt40
10-07-2010, 12:38 PM
Robert - you need to focus on getting to the track more often instead of making more power.Tell me something I don't know. :roll:

I do what I can when I can.

RichardP
10-07-2010, 01:12 PM
I do what I can when I can.

Have you completely stripped it of unnecessary weight? Last time I worked on it, not only was there room for a lot of small changes, there was a lot of low hanging fruit. Removing weight will be more effective than adding power. Don't make the engine go boom. That will slow you down more than anything...

Richard P.

gt40
10-07-2010, 01:21 PM
Have you completely stripped it of unnecessary weight?Pretty much with the exception of going to fiberglass or carbon body panels. That's on the list, too. I need to get the glass out of the car and put in Lexan.

All in due time. Money and time are limited, especially with the new kid, so my upgrade path probably won't be the same as yours. The engine will get refreshed over the winter so I decided as long as I'm in the engine, I'll do the cam now rather than later.

Don't make the engine go boom. That will slow you down more than anything...I couldn't be much slower than I am now. :roll:

The new combo will still be fairly tame. I won't be spinning it much past 6000.

michaelmosty
10-07-2010, 03:59 PM
The new combo will still be fairly tame. I won't be spinning it much past 6000.
Heck, I think Marshall shifts his at 5,800 RPM and it makes around 315 hp.

marshall_mosty
10-07-2010, 04:29 PM
I have an "off the shelf" Comp Cam and "lined up the dots". 312HP/314TQ IIRC. Shift at 5800. Now this is with GT-40X heads with "small" 1.90/1.54 valves and smaller intake runners (174cc). Robert has a set of AFR-185's that are going to need some Rev's to breathe properly. Hopefully the intake and exhaust are matched to the heads.

I've neve degreed a cam, so call me lazy.

I guess I would be pissed to put something together and check it just to find out it's off.

Since I'm running stock pistons, P/V clearance isn't as big of a deal for me, as it would have to go "boom" for them to say "hi" to one another.

donovan
10-08-2010, 09:25 PM
I have degree'd all my cams.

The only thing I get out of it is being able to set my timing pointer to exactly TDC 0

That's it.

...and if you are planning on spinning past 6k, good luck with keeping it together.

My very well built 331 (330HP/350TQ) shifts at 5600-5700, my past 306 (315HP/315TQ) shifted at 5500-5600, going past that did no good. Your dyno will determine your shift points.