PDA

View Full Version : plugging AIR injection holes

Wirtz
03-22-2006, 12:00 PM
Hey all,

What have people been doing to plug the AIR injeciton holes in the exhaust manifolds. In my case for a 3rd gen GM. Do the threads match to a common bolt that can be put in their place or do people weld up the manifolds?

Thanks,
Jeff

CMC17
03-22-2006, 12:05 PM
Hey all,

What have people been doing to plug the AIR injeciton holes in the exhaust manifolds. In my case for a 3rd gen GM. Do the threads match to a common bolt that can be put in their place or do people weld up the manifolds?

Thanks,
Jeff

I'm not sure about the GM's, but on a Mustang I used a welder to seal it off. Worked great and no ill-effects many moons later.

Might want to wait to see what the GM fanbois have to say though. :D

GlennCMC70
03-22-2006, 12:22 PM
i used the stock fittings and cut the tubes flush, then weld as needed. this was on the car we are currently building. as for my 95, it had pluds in it when i got it. mitch's car got plugs located @ O'rylies. look in the drain plug repair/replacement isle. they could be metric on your, they were on ours.

AllZWay
03-22-2006, 12:45 PM
mitch's car got plugs located @ O'rylies. look in the drain plug repair/replacement isle. they could be metric on your, they were on ours.

Same here.... as directed by Mitch and Glenn, but be prepared for sticker shock. :shock: The plugs are 22M I believe.

y5e06
03-22-2006, 01:49 PM
22x1.5mm for '95 & earlier LT1 manifolds, not sure about TPI's.

Wirtz
03-22-2006, 03:03 PM
Good info, thanks guys. I was thinking of welding them closed but was worried the manifold might crack. Sounds like I will check the price of the plugs and then make a decision.

Jeff

jeffburch
03-24-2006, 08:04 AM
Mine are smaller, and plugged.
Maybe 1/4 NPT (or so).
Dunno origin of manifolds.

jb

michaelmosty
03-24-2006, 10:49 AM
Mine are smaller, and plugged.
Maybe 1/4 NPT (or so).
Dunno origin of manifolds.