PDA

View Full Version : AI/CMC Texas Dyno Day for the 2011 Season

GlennCMC70
11-16-2010, 11:56 PM
Lets start talking about the 2011 season now. We have just over 2 months before we hit the track for the start of 2011.
Lets pick some target dates for the DFW area and then we can narrow it down to a particular shop after that.
At this point we basically have:
A) before Christmas.
B) after New Years.
Depending on the shop we use, we could also have our 2011 Annual Inspections done at the same time. Details to follow, but your Series Directors may or may not have the ability / privilege to do them going forward.

Feedback required guys.
Look for a similar post by Rob for the Houston guys. Austin / San Antonio, your on your own. I could attend (possibly) if you guys set one up.

Casey_SS
11-17-2010, 01:18 AM
For us Austin / SA guys, being on our own means missing the first session at MSR-H sitting in the tech line or something else? I got used to it in HPDE having to pass tech at every event so it's not a huge deal, just curious if that's what you meant....

GlennCMC70
11-17-2010, 08:23 AM
For us Austin / SA guys, being on our own means missing the first session at MSR-H sitting in the tech line or something else? I got used to it in HPDE having to pass tech at every event so it's not a huge deal, just curious if that's what you meant....

No. Tech should be set-up early enough that you shouldn't have to miss track time. Unless you don't show up to the track until Sat morning. Then your on your own. NASA is also working to set-up a list of shops who are authorized to perform this inspection for NASA Tx. This means you could, if it was set-up at this point, start getting this done today. For racecars, this is a once a year requirement, so once it is done, it is done for the year.

Rob and myself as well as Al have informed NASA Tx that we would like to retain the right to perform this function for our group. We are not sure that will happen though. I can tell you that if done by NASA Tx at the track, a fee will likely be attached. I am pushing for this to be a free service if performed by myself.

Anyways, we are getting too far off topic here. Lets start a new thread about Tech Inspections if you guys want to talk about that. My comment about you A/SA guys was to try and set-up your own date for a Dyno day. Someone there should take charge.

This is something we ALWAYS did as a group. We need to get back to that. It is very helpful to have everyone there and help the new guys, work together thru a problem someone may have, and things like that. If also puts everything out there for all to see. Invokes a sense of trust w/in the group.

AllZWay
11-17-2010, 08:49 AM
As long as it is not Jan. 15th... I am open for most dates. I definitely like to do a dyno day with others.

GlennCMC70
11-17-2010, 10:05 AM
Sorry, I forgot to add that.
Jan 15th is out for a couple reasons.
Its the NASA Tx Instrutor Clinic and NASA Tx key staff meeting (which I possibly may not be allowed to attend :roll: ) .
This will likely affect folks equally in DFW as well as Houston and A/SA.

Fbody383
11-17-2010, 11:54 AM
B), after new years.

I don't mind driving across Houston and have found the group dynos more fun than going alone.

Al Fernandez
11-18-2010, 09:08 AM
Glenn and Rob are both required to attend the NASA meeting on the 15th.

GlennCMC70
11-28-2010, 06:56 PM
So guys, anymore feedback on a date for the DFW area?

BlueFirePony
11-29-2010, 12:11 AM
Sometime in January is about as precise as I can be at the moment. December is going to be too busy.

AllZWay
11-29-2010, 08:57 AM
So guys, anymore feedback on a date for the DFW area?

How about Dec. 31, or Jan. 8th ?

I meant Jan.8th.

mitchntx
11-29-2010, 09:17 AM
I was thinking January 8th. Saturday would probably more accommodate the working class.

Louis said he would host a dyno cert day and was thinking in the $50 range for three pulls.

And if GSSpeed Shop can become a shop for Tech/Annuals, you can roll off the trailer at Houston ready to go.

nasa-rm
11-29-2010, 10:14 AM
There will be at least 1-2 people on site for the proposed dyno day that can do annuals, so yes - attend and you'll be ready to go for the season.

With that in mind, I would suggest early in January so you can make any tweaks as needed (either tech or dyno) without a complete scramble.

ShadowBolt
11-29-2010, 11:10 AM
Is the stock program up or down on the switch? I can never remember.

Just kidding Glenn. I know how much that pisses you off when I say anything about chips..........but really is stock up or down?
JJ

BryanL
11-29-2010, 05:17 PM
Is the stock program up or down on the switch? I can never remember.

Just kidding Glenn. I know how much that pisses you off when I say anything about chips..........but really is stock up or down?
JJ

I thought your "timing switch" was legal now?

Adam Ginsberg
11-29-2010, 06:19 PM
For racecars, this is a once a year requirement, so once it is done, it is done for the year.

Glenn is correct - the racecar tech inspection is once a year. However, Jerry Kunzman and Ryan Flaherty reminded me that drivers are still required to fill out the logbook for each event attended. According to them, failing to do so can subject the driver to penalties....but I don't recall what those penalties are.

mitchntx
11-29-2010, 08:02 PM
For racecars, this is a once a year requirement, so once it is done, it is done for the year.

Glenn is correct - the racecar tech inspection is once a year. However, Jerry Kunzman and Ryan Flaherty reminded me that drivers are still required to fill out the logbook for each event attended. According to them, failing to do so can subject the driver to penalties....but I don't recall what those penalties are.

Adam is correct in that Jerry Kunzman and Ryan Flaherty have to remind him about things.

GlennCMC70
11-29-2010, 08:09 PM

That is not the info that was passed down thru NASA Tx. It would be a good idea if they made that public knowlege.

HoustonNW
11-29-2010, 09:32 PM
Will we schedule a Houston day also?

Do you need a new dyno every year if you don't make any changes to the car?

GlennCMC70
11-29-2010, 10:09 PM
New dyno every year no matter what. It's clearly stated in the CMC rules.

I will not be setting up a Houston date. You guys can do this on your own or wait for Rob to do it.

kbrewmr2
11-30-2010, 10:14 AM
why wouldn't you fill out the logbook for each event?

Rob Liebbe
11-30-2010, 11:25 AM
I'm working on a dyno day. I should be posting a dedicated thread today or tomorrow.

Louis
11-30-2010, 11:57 AM
I have enough square footage inside, I could fit 30+ cars to do tech ( if you opted to) and dyno day all at once. My shop is in a pretty industrial area, and its an absolute ghost town on the weekends. Even during the week, you can park and unload 10 trailers with out issue, on the weekend as many as you wanted to.

Louis

mitchntx
11-30-2010, 12:08 PM
why wouldn't you fill out the logbook for each event?

And I'm trying to figure out why you would ... what is the point?

Only 2 reasons I can think of is a tech issue or lineage ... showing the car's history is easily faked.

mitchntx
11-30-2010, 12:11 PM
I have enough square footage inside, I could fit 30+ cars to do tech ( if you opted to) and dyno day all at once. My shop is in a pretty industrial area, and its an absolute ghost town on the weekends. Even during the week, you can park and unload 10 trailers with out issue, on the weekend as many as you wanted to.

Louis

There is a lot of room. Maybe we could set up some sort of gymkhana course.

AllZWay
11-30-2010, 03:35 PM
So is it Louis' place on Jan. 8th?

GlennCMC70
11-30-2010, 03:38 PM

From NASA National HQ today:

- Drivers need to fill out the annual race car tech form and bring it, the car, their gear, and their log book to get an annual
- NASA or a NASA authorized shop performs the annual inspection, signs/stamps the log book and form, issues the tech sticker, submits the form to National.

- Drivers are not required to fill out a sheet nor are they required to fill out their log book for each event

- NASA will annotate required fix items in log books as necessary. This can include items that must be repaired before the track goes back on track, at which point they will yank the car's annual sticker.
- Drivers will present proof of compliance/repair to NASA along with their log book to have the entry closed out and obtain a new annual sticker (if that was required)

GlennCMC70
11-30-2010, 03:40 PM
So is it Louis' place on Jan. 8th?

Sounds more and more like a plan.
The 8th is good for me (w/out a car of course).

ShadowBolt
11-30-2010, 05:39 PM
Pay someone to tech a car you build yourself and repair yourself? I still have the fake invoices from the fictious shop that did Jay's Mach One and my Vette tech work for the Drivers Edge events. Can we still get it done at the first event for free by a NASA person?

JJ

GlennCMC70
11-30-2010, 06:11 PM
Can we still get it done at the first event for free by a NASA person?

JJ

I'm trying to keep that in place for at least our group. I have not gotten an answer from NASA Tx yet on that.

mitchntx
11-30-2010, 07:40 PM
Pay someone to tech a car you build yourself and repair yourself? I still have the fake invoices from the fictious shop that did Jay's Mach One and my Vette tech work for the Drivers Edge events. Can we still get it done at the first event for free by a NASA person?

JJ

The exact reason why I'm thinking if we can get it all done (dyno and tech) done at once, it would save folks like you and I a full day's transport and a couple hundred bucks in fuel and expenses.

GlennCMC70
11-30-2010, 09:14 PM
Getting it done at the dyno or at the track is pretty much the same hassle wise. Your gonna be at both places. Getting it done at the dyno is better if you cant get to the track early Friday. There is a chance you will still have to pay to get it done no matter who does it or where it gets done.

AllZWay
11-30-2010, 09:26 PM
Did I miss something? Where does is it say we are going to have to pay to get our car teched?

GlennCMC70
11-30-2010, 11:13 PM
I said a chance. No word on how this is changing.

ShadowBolt
12-01-2010, 08:07 AM
Did I miss something? Where does is it say we are going to have to pay to get our car teched?

If a shop does it your damn sure going to pay for it.

JJ

mitchntx
12-01-2010, 09:11 AM

If a shop does it your damn sure going to pay for it.

JJ

I hope alternatives can be found.

But I'd certainly pay $20 for an annual tech if entry fees are again below $300.

Jeremy Gunter
12-01-2010, 11:19 PM
if we pay for tech, DQ's are going to get really REALLY interesting!

GlennCMC70
12-01-2010, 11:27 PM
The tech you pay for is CCR tech. I cannot recall a single DQ over CCR related infractions.

donovan
12-03-2010, 12:02 AM
Why are you considering a payment for Tech?

My tech in the past was a tug of the belts and testing of the kill switch!

That's worth about $1

DD

GlennCMC70
12-03-2010, 12:10 AM
Why are you considering a payment for Tech?

My tech in the past was a tug of the belts and testing of the kill switch!

That's worth about $1

DD

Not sure who your asking here.
There is a possibility that NASA Annuals will have to be paid for.

donovan
12-03-2010, 08:28 AM
I'm asking anyone who might have an answer. It seems a bit of a Nickle & Dime tactic for something that NASA has not taken serious in the past. If the tech took 30 minutes in the past I might be able to agree, but it's taken 5 minutes maximum.

I realize we now have new management, and things can only get better from a big picture stand point.

There are other ways they need to look at generating revenue than forcing us pay for a annual tech that's mandatory. If I was taking my racecar to a shop I would expect to pay a fee, but not when being preformed by NASA staff.

Is there more to the story?

DD

GlennCMC70
12-03-2010, 09:23 AM
Not that I can tell. I guess this is not uncommon in other regions. I'm still working to be allowed to do this task for our group for free.

mitchntx
12-03-2010, 09:55 AM
I'm asking anyone who might have an answer. It seems a bit of a Nickle & Dime tactic for something that NASA has not taken serious in the past. If the tech took 30 minutes in the past I might be able to agree, but it's taken 5 minutes maximum.

I realize we now have new management, and things can only get better from a big picture stand point.

There are other ways they need to look at generating revenue than forcing us pay for a annual tech that's mandatory. If I was taking my racecar to a shop I would expect to pay a fee, but not when being preformed by NASA staff.

Is there more to the story?

DD

My guess is that a fee for tech the day of the event is an incentive for a driver/owner to do a little work prior to arriving. Eliminates the long lines Saturday morning and the mad scrambling by both NASA and Driver when they should be concentrating on the race.

My guess is that an approved shop will do the 10 minute tech for free in exchange for the foot traffic and advertising. That's cheap advertising in today's world. Would Donanvon racing not be willing to spend 10 minutes for a racer knowing the exposure would probably yield a sale?

My guess is this will be one of the "changes" we've all heard about. Again, if I can give NASA $20 or $50 in January for an annual tech and then have entry fees reduced by $100 for the entire season, I don't see a down side.

What I'm NOT gonna do is load all my crap and drive 2 hours for a dyno cert and then load all my crap a different day and drive 2 hours for a tech.

Do it all at once or forget about it.

donovan
12-03-2010, 10:50 AM
I agree with you Mitch, I have been complaining for years that NASATX should have approved shops in each city that is able to perform Annual Tech Inspection.

In the past I have organized the Austin area dyno day and tried to get a Tech person from NASA there, it only happened once in five years.

I don't know about you guys but I budget every dollar of my racing budget, and even $10 changes the game for me. It starts with $10 here and $20 here and $50 for this, by the time you know it my budget is $500 over!

As the owner of multiple businesses I also understand the idea of charging for this service, it’s an easy way for NASA to collect some cash. From a business standpoint that makes complete sense! Although at this point in time, with the past reputation of NASA TX and the economy, I think they should be more concerned about helping the racers get to the track and not nickel and diming them on the way there!!!

-------
Mitch, Donovan Racing would be more than willing to get approved! As long as NASA can get organized enough to have a Complete Checklist and have paperwork that can be turned in when complete. I will not get involved with any half ass attempt. A proper checklist would take about 20-30 minutes to complete. If people can bring the car to H2R or my Shop I would be willing to perform this for free.

DD

GlennCMC70
12-03-2010, 10:55 AM
I agree with you Mitch, I have been complaining for years that NASATX should have approved shops in each city that is able to perform Annual Tech Inspection.

In the past I have organized the Austin area dyno day and tried to get a Tech person from NASA there, it only happened once in five years.

I don't know about you guys but I budget every dollar of my racing budget, and even $10 changes the game for me. It starts with $10 here and $20 here and $50 for this, by the time you know it my budget is $500 over!

As the owner of multiple businesses I also understand the idea of charging for this service, it’s an easy way for NASA to collect some cash. From a business standpoint that makes complete sense! Although at this point in time, with the past reputation of NASA TX and the economy, I think they should be more concerned about helping the racers get to the track and not nickel and diming them on the way there!!!

-------
Mitch, Donovan Racing would be more than willing to get approved! As long as NASA can get organized enough to have a Complete Checklist and have paperwork that can be turned in when complete. I will not get involved with any half ass attempt. A proper checklist would take about 20-30 minutes to complete. If people can bring the car to H2R or my Shop I would be willing to perform this for free.

DD

You should get in contact w/ Dave then.
From my understanding, NASA TX is changing in a major way. Tech inspectors are one of many aspects that are getting overhauled. Dave has made comments that lead me to believe he is very serious w/ regards to safety and the tech shed.

mitchntx
12-03-2010, 03:34 PM
David, while I have yet to suckle the new NASA-Tx Cool-aid, I don't see how it could be ANY worse than it was.

It's gotta be better.

But the fact that this simple attribute about tech inspections and who can do them does appear to be following old patterns.

Does someone need to point out to this guy from colorado that there are just 7 more weekends remaining between now and the green flag at MSR-H?

And two of those are holiday weekends?

GlennCMC70
12-03-2010, 05:24 PM
I've been given the nod for annuals. AI/CMC only. Still working on getting a NASA TX authorized Annual Inspector for the Dyno Day for anyone who may not be w/ AI/CMC.

ShadowBolt
12-03-2010, 09:20 PM
I've been given the nod for annuals. AI/CMC only. Still working on getting a NASA TX authorized Annual Inspector for the Dyno Day for anyone who may not be w/ AI/CMC.

Send me my sticker Glenn.

Thanks,

JJ

GlennCMC70
12-03-2010, 09:23 PM

Send me my sticker Glenn.

Thanks,

JJ

I mailed it yesterday.

MikeP99Z
12-03-2010, 10:53 PM
I can be there to cover tech of whatever.

GlennCMC70
12-03-2010, 11:10 PM
I can be there to cover tech of whatever.

That would be great Mike.

michaelmosty
12-04-2010, 04:15 PM
I don't understand why an elaborate tech procedure is needed. Isn't it just inspecting roll cage, seat, belts, nets, master disconnect, tow hooks, and maybe 1 or 2 other things?

Its not like they inspect suspension, brakes, exhaust, or anything of that nature. It is still on each driver to bring a properly nut and bolted car to each event, not NASA. Am I missing something?

Louis
12-04-2010, 07:46 PM
I take the well being of the car and driver gear very seriously. Ive had drivers not take it seriously in the past. One was killed, the other ( Boris said) was severely burned at the Long Beach GP in 09.

Its easy to replace cars and parts, its not easy to replace people.

Being a very fierce competitor/builder/*gasp*rule bender for YEARS, I can see both sides.

Louis