PDA

View Full Version : Need a new helmet. Tell me what you have, like, dislike.

GlennCMC70
11-24-2010, 08:31 PM
I have only ever had 1 SA rated helmet, and it is the one that I've had for over 10 years. I waited for the SA-2000's to be released (1999) and got a Simpson. I have been very pleased w/ how it has held up durring the insane use it has seen in those 10 years. I'm looking at replacing it w/ a Simpson Voyager. My old helmet had no face shield provisions (originaly got it for auto-x use), so the new one must have a shield.
Since I've not had to deal w/ shields w/ this helmet, I do not know what to lookout for w/ helmets that do. Are any universal? By that I mean, does Simpson helemts only accept Simpson shields? Bell only Bell shields, so on and so on?
HANS ready? I would figure most would come pre-drilled now for HANS anchors. Is that what you guys are finding?
If you havea brand you do not like, I would like to know and know why. Have you used more than one brand? If so, which did you like better? The old saying "What's your head worth?" comes to mind. Money = mo betta?

Feedback please.

Fbody383
11-24-2010, 09:29 PM
i want to say mine is a Simpson as well and I usually run with the face shield up since I wear glasses anyway and we're not open cockpit.

Need Team Mosty to chime in on the Bells.

mitchntx
11-24-2010, 09:47 PM
I had a Simpson M3 or something like that that was in my gear bag that was stolen.

I replaced it with the Impact I got at the auction at Cresson. PST donated it to help raise money for the school's restoration.

The Simpson fit really well, but the Impact felt really tight across the temples. So, I peeled back the padding and shaved the liner a small amount for a better fit.

I have a Simpson open face that I use while instructing. And it fits really nice as well.

The most comfortable helmet I own is my Shoei MC helmet. It's like wearing a ball cap.

Casey_SS
11-24-2010, 11:21 PM
I started running out of money finishing the car and getting all my gear before ECR and bought the cheapest SA helmet I could find - GForce something or other for ~$250. Surprisingly, I LOVE it! Fits perfect, comes pre-drilled for HANS, has tear off posts & a "sun strip" on the visor, removable / washable padding, and noticeably lighter than the mid-range HJC it replaced. I would've had to spend at least $100 more to get all this from a higher end brand. I used to ride sport bikes and have owned several helmets over the years - Arai, Shoei, HJC, and a couple others I've forgotten. Always switched brands for one reason or another - this is the first one I'd buy again.
My only complaint with the GForce is the strap adjuster didn't have the tab I'm used to for separating the D-rings when threading the strap. 1 piece of tape & 5 seconds later it became my favorite helmet :)

rleng1
11-24-2010, 11:33 PM
I ride with the Bell BR-1. It fits great and is comfortable. almost all helmets that I have seen come with Hans pre-drilled holes. I also put on a tinted shield, which is helps with the sun glare.

Al Fernandez
11-25-2010, 09:03 AM
I just bought a pyrotect pro airflow. SA2010, removeable liner, and its very light. Pyrotect is owned by Bell, their low cost line. Its much more comfortable than my old Simpson was.

Different helmets have different size and curvature to their shields so they are certainly not universal. They arent difficult to find though.

Soloracer has a pretty decent guide at http://www.racinghelmetguide.com/

AllZWay
11-25-2010, 10:07 PM
I am really partial to Bell helmets. I started using Bell helmets as a young teenager racing motocross and I have just continued to use them.

I just ordered a replacement one yesterday.

Saferacer has a black friday deal... 15% off with this code. BF152010

15% Off Early Shopping Savings
Charlie asked "Why wait until Black Friday to start saving? Let's start it up right now!" 15% discount starts now, ends on Sunday and is limited to the first 100 people who use the following code at checkout, BF152010. Better Hurry, these will go quickly!!! Due to manufacturer restrictions, Hans devices and a handful of other items are excluded.

jdlingle
11-25-2010, 11:04 PM
I've got a Bell K1 Sport and although it only has 4 days on track to its credit so far it is extremely comfortable and it was reasonably priced. I tried on Simpson and Impact helmets when buying as well. The K1 Sport is pre drilled for HANS device.

AJ@PST
11-26-2010, 04:39 PM
Just try on as many different types that you believe you are interested in. Most manufacturers helmets fit differently and you will never know until you try it on.

cobra132
11-27-2010, 10:37 AM
Swing into the Simson plant in New Braunfels. They will measure your head and set you up. Its just off 35. FMR

kbrewmr2
11-28-2010, 01:34 PM
I'm a Bell and Pyrotect fan - made by the same company ala Chevy/GMC. That said if Simpson stuff fits your big fat head the best then stick with them :wink:

Shields is something else to consider - IIRC the shields I have for my current Bell do fit a few models made by other MFGs but not enough to call them universal in the least. So keep that in mind as well.

GlennCMC70
02-02-2012, 08:58 PM
Never bought a new helmet since NASA allowed the SA-2000's to run to the end of 2011. I need one now if I plan to run the MSR-C event.
Anyone have any updates?
I want HANS ready and SA-2010. Other than that, I'm not too set on anything. Deals are good as I'm a broke ass right now. G-Force is a good price, but I haven't seen any that are HANS ready.
Anyone here get good deals? Donavan? Mosty boys?

michaelmosty
02-02-2012, 09:53 PM
I don't have any hook-ups but I just got Raegan a Bell M4 helmet. It looked like a great intro helmet w/ a large eye opening. You are welcome to borrow it if you can fit into an X-Small helmet. Look for it to debut at MSR-C in March for HPDE. :^)

ShadowBolt
02-02-2012, 09:55 PM
Never bought a new helmet since NASA allowed the SA-2000's to run to the end of 2011. I need one now if I plan to run the MSR-C event.
Anyone have any updates?
I want HANS ready and SA-2010. Other than that, I'm not too set on anything. Deals are good as I'm a broke ass right now. G-Force is a good price, but I haven't seen any that are HANS ready.

I just bought this one and used it in R1. I really like the large open area.

http://www.saferacer.com/g-force-modified-sa2010-helmet.html?productid=2420

Just snap your Hans on it.
JJ

BlueFirePony
02-02-2012, 11:35 PM
Kyri and I both like our GForces.

MikeP99Z
02-02-2012, 11:37 PM
I' have a Bell, G-Force and a Simpson. I wore the Bell for a lot of years and was very happy with it - expired now. The G-Force was ok, it just fell apart on the inside after a season. My black/red one that I wear now is a Simpson, which I'm also happy with and it had the HANS anchor provision.

Most importantly - it's gotta be comfortable, and have a good vision range. Since I wear glasses under my helmet, I have to be able to put the glasses on while the helmet is on. Some models I tried proved to be difficult to do that. It's like trying on shoes, although some brands are the correct size, they just don't feel right for the shape of your foot. In this case, the shape of your head. I'd rather pay a few bucks more for something I'm going to wear for the next 5+ years.

Alien
02-03-2012, 09:19 AM
I have a Bell Vortex something or another. It does not have the large eye port like my last one, BUT since I don't wear sunglasses, it wasn't as big a deal as I thought it might be. This one cost more than my last one (Pyrotech), but one thing I REALLY like is the smaller increment in sizes. Last one was S M L XL etc, this one was 52 54 56 58 etc. Makes for a more comfortable fit.

Also, something I was unaware of til this year, for the SAH helmets with the predrilled/installed THREADED nutserts, you really should use the new style of HANS anchors.

ShadowBolt
02-03-2012, 10:17 AM
My new G-Force has grooves in the padding for sunglasses to slide into. Other than the large opening this is the best thing about the helmet.

JJ

mitchntx
02-03-2012, 12:00 PM
Couldn't be happier with my Impact ... helluva name, though.

Tilton
02-03-2012, 12:05 PM
I bought a Bell M4 which was pre-drilled for hans anchors. It has worked out well so far.

BlueFirePony
02-03-2012, 01:18 PM
Couldn't be happier with my Impact ... helluva name, though.Did Impact ever get their issue resolved with the certification labels? Have not looked in a while...

Adam Ginsberg
02-03-2012, 01:55 PM
FWIW, I was in the same boat for the start of this year - having to replace an SA2000 helmet. Late last year, after much searching, I got lucky in finding a local racer who bought a Bell that was too large for him, couldn't return it, and had to sell it (only tried on for fitment, never worn for racing, but the online retailer wouldn't take it back).

It's a Bell Sport SA2010, with a new set of FIA Hubbard and Dowing HANS posts already installed. Some features this helmet has that are improved vs. my Simpson - larger eye opening (great for those who wear corrective glasses, or sunglasses), and more frontal area (more room from the helmet to your nose/mouth) that has eliminated the fogging problem I had before.

Bell has some close-out specials on SA2005 models that might help you save a few bucks, but, IMO, getting an SA2010 model makes more sense, and they are nearly the same price (for the Sport model via SafeRacer.com (http://www.saferacer.com/bell-sport-sa2010-auto-racing-helmet.html?productid=2210)) as the SA2005 close outs.

Regarding the SAH helmets - I've found units with that designation start out as higher end models to begin with.

AllZWay
02-03-2012, 02:05 PM
I also have the Bell Sport... second one actually and it is a great helmet and especially for the money.

Tobey
02-03-2012, 03:04 PM
Anyone have any updates?

Glenn:
I just bought a GForce Sidedraft. It's SA2010 with pre-installed HANS anchors. From their website, it looks like most of the SA2010 helmets have anchors.

marshall_mosty
02-05-2012, 02:16 PM
I have a bell S2R SA2005. They didn't have top mount for cooling back in 2004, so when I bought this, it was my only option to run the helmet blower. However, I"m not a big fan of a helmet blower (didn't work very well) so I will go back to a standard type Bell for the next (SA2015) cert that I will need in the net 5 years or so.

The large was just a tick too large for me, so wearing a balaclava works to close the gap.

GlennCMC70
02-12-2012, 01:26 AM
Ordered a Bell today. Should be in by weeks end. I've only had Simpsons before now. Pickedit up from PST at MSR-C.
Thanks for all the input. I hated the G-Force. I liked the Simpson Voyager Evolution, Impact's fit nice as well and obviously the Bell's. It all came down to price between those.

So I need a dyno, hubs, new pads and a set of tires that will make the weekend and I'll be all set for MSR-C.
Oh, and I gotta finish the trailer - been "remodeling" since Oct or so.

GlennCMC70
03-20-2012, 03:57 PM
Post weekend update.
I love this Bell M4! My old helmet was some odd form of torcher compaired to the Bell M4. I am speachless over the difference.
It is very comfortable, light, and doesn't peal my ears off taking it on and off. I've never had a visor before, so that was odd at first. I don't like having the visor adjusted where the bottom edge is in my field of vision. So I either have it almost closed or open all the way. I did get a bit warmer w/ it closed. Took a couple sessions to get used to needing to raise the shield if I wanted any air that I deflected to my face for cooling to do any good.
Best $400 I spent in a very long time.

I highly recommend this helmet! Thanks to all those who offered input about what they liked and had good luck with.