PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Houston Dyno Day / Annual Tech

Crumpacker
12-01-2010, 01:38 PM
Details:

January 22nd, 8am-3pm

We only have the shop for this time frame so please show up early! I plan to be there by 7:30 so I can be unloaded and ready to go by 8. We will run this as first come - first served with race cars having priority over street cars. If you show up too late, you may miss out. Can I get 3 people commit to show up by 8am and another 3 by 9am? This should keep the ball rolling for the slackers that show up later.

$40/3 pulls w/ $15/ extra pull

Fastlane
Shop Address:
10541 FM 1960 Rd W #600
Houston, TX 77070
713-600-8600

I've been working with Nick Field, one of the owners of Fastlane, and he is excited to have us at his shop! He's a lemons/chumpcar racer and knows of AI/CMC well. He's as excited about shooting the shit with us as he is about the extra business.

Don't forget, there will be annual tech inspections being performed, so re-read the rulebook and make sure your ride is legal!

Dyno Day list:
1) Crumpacker
2) Brewer
3) Neary
4) Libbe (no car)
5) Covini
6) Francis running his "dyno-tune"
7)Fernandez
8 G Roberston (get yo sh*t together)
9-13) BCSStreet car club peeps
14)

Love(s)?
Other Houston area folks?

:wink: :wink:

kbrewmr2
12-01-2010, 02:07 PM
voted in case you'd let me tag along to your guys' event ;) :)

Rob Liebbe
12-01-2010, 02:12 PM
Thanks for taking the lead on this Sam! I will be there and everyone should also do everything possible to coerce our local tech inspector - Al Fernandez - to be there.

Crumpacker
12-01-2010, 05:41 PM
voted in case you'd let me tag along to your guys' event ;) :)

No prob Ken... as long as you bring the kolaches and mimosas. :wink:

Do you need a dyno cert for your Mister 2? We can probably find a Ford or chevy to help get the drum rolling.

Todd Covini
12-02-2010, 12:57 AM
I can be there if it's on the 22nd....8th would be iffy.

-=- Todd

GlennCMC70
12-02-2010, 09:45 AM
I can be there if it's on the 22nd....8th would be iffy.

-=- Todd

Thus the 8th.

kbrewmr2
12-02-2010, 11:55 AM
Do you need a dyno cert for your Mister 2? We can probably find a Ford or chevy to help get the drum rolling.

:lol: yeah it might need a bit of a bump to get all <125whp SAE going (130+wlbft though!!) and yeah its very similar procedures to the AI/CMC ruleset so 3 pulls and all that...

just want to have my Is dotted and Ts crossed even though I'll be on a very limited schedule next season.

And I'll bring the kolaches and mimmosas if I just haavvveee to :roll: :wink:

way2neary
12-02-2010, 01:58 PM
I can go either day.

Crumpacker
12-02-2010, 10:48 PM
I have a half dozen folks from a car club up here that want to come... that'll help us hit the 10 or 15 min. They understand we have first dibs on the dyno if any time issues arise.

It appears we're leaning more towards the 22nd, but I have a Q... those of you that voted "only 8th / only 22nd", are you bringing a car?

Fbody383
12-02-2010, 10:51 PM
Other Houston area folks? Whichever day it is I'll try to make it. Otherwise everybody will be crying foul after the Houston results.

Rob Liebbe
12-03-2010, 08:38 AM
Al Fernandez said he could make either date and can also do our annual tech inspections.

I have one buddy who may bring his twin turbo 90 5.0 LX.

Todd Covini
12-03-2010, 10:36 AM
I will have a car and I can do annual inspections.
The 22nd will really work better as I would like to open this up to the Houston NASA population.

-=- Todd

rleng1
12-03-2010, 10:52 AM
I can make the 8th.

Alien
12-03-2010, 12:48 PM
I'm hoping the car will be running by the 22nd. The 8th seems to be closing in awfully fast for comfort seeing as how my motor still isn't ready to be dropped in the car.

HoustonNW
12-03-2010, 01:11 PM
I voted that I can only make the 8th and will be bringing the Chebbie.

edison_GTI
12-06-2010, 07:41 PM
Hey guys, I'd like to join you again. I have the green VW that was at the dyno day last year.

Edison

HoustonNW
12-06-2010, 10:28 PM
I voted that I can only make the 8th and will be bringing the Chebbie.

Hi Sam, I don't think you noticed my post.

Since I found out at Eagle's Canyon that "loose is fast", or at least "tight is not very fast", I'm hooking up the rear sway bar and getting some CBP on the 22nd and 23rd. The group will probably appreciate my goal of learning to keep the car from spinning on corner entry.

Tobey
12-06-2010, 11:01 PM
I'm going to try and make it with the car I'm selling (either day). A recent dyno should help it sell, right???

GlennCMC70
12-06-2010, 11:14 PM
I'm going to try and make it with the car I'm selling (either day). A recent dyno should help it sell, right???

That and race it a time or two would help. At the least, DE it at a NASA event w/ a "For Sale" sign on it. MSR-H is right around the corner.

Tobey
12-07-2010, 10:00 PM

That and race it a time or two would help. At the least, DE it at a NASA event w/ a "For Sale" sign on it. MSR-H is right around the corner.

Good call. I'll probably see you guys there.

Todd Covini
12-08-2010, 10:25 AM
Here's another thought for the 22nd.

My son's Pinewood Derby Race is on that day in Spring, TX from 10AM-12.
I would like to bring my new racecar to that event with over 50 Pinewood Derby Dads. If anyone else wants to trailer their racecars to this Pinewood Derby and display their cars for the Boy Scouts before the dyno that would be great!

I did this in California a few times and got few dads to join NASA and come racing after they knew it was a dream within reach. It's a lot of fun.

Just a thought...

-=- Todd

David Love AI27
12-08-2010, 01:07 PM

Bring it to TWS this weekend... You might find a buyer if you let Jason take a few laps... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

ShadowBolt
12-08-2010, 04:27 PM
I would like to bring my new racecar to that event with over 50 Pinewood Derby Dads.
Todd

New race car? I missed a post somewhere.

JJ

Rob Liebbe
12-08-2010, 04:59 PM
Don't get excited Jerry - its not AI/CMC - hell it doesn't even have 8 cylinders - hell its not even American, or even Japanese - Todd is now a cake eater in a 944. So's Al. :roll:

ShadowBolt
12-08-2010, 05:40 PM
Don't get excited Jerry - its not AI/CMC - hell it doesn't even have 8 cylinders - hell its not even American, or even Japanese - Todd is now a cake eater in a 944. So's Al. :roll:

Ever since I showed up in NASA Texas Todd has avoided racing CMC. I want a piece of his ass on the track but he stays away.

I'm sure I'm the reason he quit CMC racing.
JJ

mitchntx
12-08-2010, 05:41 PM
[
I'm sure I'm the reason he quit CMC racing.
JJ

You need to take a number and wait in the lobby for that honor ...

Tobey
12-08-2010, 07:25 PM

Bring it to TWS this weekend... You might find a buyer if you let Jason take a few laps... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I was originally going to make that event this weekend. But I'm heading to Chicago for the Bears/Patriots game instead. It will be a new experience; attending an NFL game that matters...

Crumpacker
12-08-2010, 08:08 PM
As it stands, the dyno day will be on the 22nd. sorry Wayne

Still talking with 2 different shops trying to get decent rates with plenty of time to get all our cars through. I'll post up the "winner" asap.

rleng1
12-09-2010, 01:35 PM
1 week before MSRH seems tight.

Fbody383
12-09-2010, 04:59 PM
1 week before MSRH seems tight. Only for HP mongers like you.

Wade
12-12-2010, 11:06 PM
Josh Hough, Owner of Hough Racecraft announced that he has a DynoJet 224x coming to his shop at Texas World Speedway.

http://www.tamscc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=11270

Josh is a nice guy, and I'll be dynoing there _if_ the new machine is up and running in time.

Now with MSR-H possible being run twice, and with TWS being run twice, four of the 6 races will have a dyno on site...

GlennCMC70
12-12-2010, 11:54 PM
Josh Hough, Owner of Hough Racecraft announced that he has a DynoJet 224x coming to his shop at Texas World Speedway.

Josh is a nice guy, and I'll be dynoing there _if_ the new machine is up and running in time.

Now with MSR-H possible being run twice, and with TWS being run twice, four of the 6 races will have a dyno on site...

And a thing to note, Texas is one of the few regions that in the past pretty much never had random dyno pulls made. I hope that changes.

Fbody383
12-13-2010, 01:32 PM
And a thing to note, Texas is one of the few regions that in the past pretty much never had random dyno pulls made. I hope that changes. Hear that English...

You hope it changes because you have a concern of people cheating OR if a dyno is available it's low cost rules enforcement?

HoustonNW
12-13-2010, 01:54 PM

Is there a dyno at MSR-H? Do you know the name and/or how to contact them?

nasa-rm
12-13-2010, 02:10 PM

And a thing to note, Texas is one of the few regions that in the past pretty much never had random dyno pulls made. I hope that changes.

The class leaders just need to add it to the list of tech items such as weight, measure wheels, track, ride height, etc. If it's on the list of tech items wanted by the series leaders (and is reasonable - i.e. you can't dyno the entire field :lol:), we will get it done.

ShadowBolt
12-13-2010, 02:58 PM
I wish all the tracks had them. Getting the dyno done prior to the start of the season is a big pain in the ass. The big cost is half a day off work or a half of a weekend day. If you could just do it after unloading at the track that would take the BS out of it. I don't have to worry about my little 281 cu-in making over 260/310.

JJ

edison_GTI
12-13-2010, 03:58 PM
Have you guys decided on a date? I'd prefer as early as possible (Jan 8) because I got the feeling that I'm going to need more weight.

GlennCMC70
12-13-2010, 04:23 PM
And a thing to note, Texas is one of the few regions that in the past pretty much never had random dyno pulls made. I hope that changes. Hear that English...

You hope it changes because you have a concern of people cheating OR if a dyno is available it's low cost rules enforcement?

No to both. Its' good to slap the top dog's on there to prevent B/S drama coming from the rear of the field about being 2 seconds off top times. I did it, other did it, and future new guys will do it. Its the cycle we all go thru. It's also nice to hae it there just for the possibilty that it could happen. Keeps honest folks honest.

ShadowBolt
12-13-2010, 04:58 PM

No to both. Its' good to slap the top dog's on there to prevent B/S drama coming from the rear of the field about being 2 seconds off top times. I did it, other did it, and future new guys will do it. Its the cycle we all go thru. It's also nice to hae it there just for the possibilty that it could happen. Keeps honest folks honest.

All the guys that run up front are cheating. All us slow guys know it.

JJ

mitchntx
12-13-2010, 05:05 PM

JJ

And the dyno only confirms the conspiracy ..

Tobey
12-13-2010, 07:48 PM
Yes there is, but I can't remember the name of the shop. A friend of mine has been there with his D Sports Racer for some tuning. Probably just need to call the main number.

ShadowBolt
12-13-2010, 07:50 PM

JJ

And the dyno only confirms the conspiracy ..

That's what I was thinking. There has to be a reason they are faster than us and it can't be talent.

JJ

HoustonNW
12-13-2010, 10:31 PM
Yes there is, but I can't remember the name of the shop. A friend of mine has been there with his D Sports Racer for some tuning. Probably just need to call the main number.

Doh, and I just called the track with another question.

Crumpacker
12-14-2010, 05:00 PM
Ok, it's official! The dyno day will be on January 22nd at Fastlane in Northwest Houston (near Willowbrook). The first post will be revised with all the details and shop location.

I would definitely consider moving the dyno-day to Hough Racecraft IF the dyno was already up and running. Josh is an awesome guy and I plan on channeling as much business through him as possible, but if his 224x delivery and setup don't go as planned, we could be in a heap of trouble.

rleng1
12-14-2010, 06:11 PM
Looks like I will be in Scotland from Jan 10 -28th, so I will dyno at MSRH, if I make it back in time.
Anything wrong with dyno in Dec 2010?

GlennCMC70
12-14-2010, 06:13 PM
Looks like I will be in Scotland from Jan 10 -28th, so I will dyno at MSRH, if I make it back in time.
Anything wrong with dyno in Dec 2010?

You can dyno for the 2011 season anytime after the last race of 2010. It must be post season. Most guys do a spark plug and O2 change first.

Rob Liebbe
12-14-2010, 08:04 PM
Thanks to Sam Crumpacker for setting this up. I wlll be there at 8am.

edison_GTI
12-17-2010, 06:39 PM
Too late for me :cry:

Todd Covini
01-02-2011, 11:19 PM
Sam...is the roster of people attending on Page 1 up to date?
Please add me as dyno'ing....I will have a toy car to put on the rollers. Not sure which one just yet, but I will be on the rollers.

Also...can we merge this list with Dave B's list as I think we'll have some non-AI/CMC folks come as well.

If I remember the place, parking is going to be tight.

-=- Todd

Crumpacker
01-06-2011, 05:10 PM
Sam...is the roster of people attending on Page 1 up to date?

Also...can we merge this list with Dave B's list as I think we'll have some non-AI/CMC folks come as well.

-=- Todd

It is up to date now, thanks Todd.

Also, where is Dave B's list? I lazily searched nasaforums and "cmc.com" but didn't see it.

Alien
01-16-2011, 10:18 PM
I'll be there. :D :D :D

Wade
01-19-2011, 12:01 AM
I am coming to the Houston dyno day, without the car. Hough Racecraft @ TWS does have their dyno up and running. I am planning to dyno tomorrow evening there. Will see y'all Sat to hang out. I'd like to get the gf's 2010 v6 Camaro auto on the rollers at Houston though. We'll see if she is game. Probably makes more power than the racecar. Hah!

Todd Covini
01-20-2011, 04:05 PM
NASA Texas ManDate
Pre Dyno Day Breakfast!!!

"Racecars gotta have fuel before the race...I'm up for a stack of pancakes before the Dyno Day!!!)

Time: 0700 Saturday 22nd
Place: 59 Diner (Open 24/7)
(1.5 miles away from Fastlane...plenty of mall parking)

Have breakfast with the crew, whether you are dyno-ing or teching!
We can coordinate our arrival to Fastlane at 0800 this Saturday from this Breakfast pre-staging area!

See you there!

-=- Todd

Rob Liebbe
01-20-2011, 09:19 PM
Pancake-eater.

I'll be there Cupcake Covini.

Todd Covini
01-21-2011, 10:51 AM
We'll have to see if "Flan Fernandez" is coming to breakfast too! :lol:

Rob Liebbe
01-21-2011, 11:20 AM
We'll have to see if "Flan Fernandez" is coming to breakfast too! :lol:

The powers that be decided the "Fruit Cake" Fernandez is better after determining that flan is actually a custard type dessert and not a cake.

Tobey
01-22-2011, 12:19 AM
Argh! I'm a last-minute scratch. I went to load the car tonight, and the starter is kaput. I can't see getting it swapped in time to make it up there tomorrow.

Fbody383
01-22-2011, 02:40 PM
I'll be there Cupcake Covini. Uh, no... times two.

After this morning, The Deuce just got a little more interesting.

Oh no, not me. Car did 215ish I think in 1 trim (down 12 or 13 from last year) and a whopping 247 or so unrestricted, down about 7 year on year.

I'll let the other players spill their beans... see if you can spot which one is NOT like the others.

Alien
01-22-2011, 04:25 PM
271/314 :oops:

Interesting in that the battery wasn't getting recharged and had to jump it to get it started, so I'm guessing the computer was reset right before the pulls. :?

Now where's that thread about the dyno at MSR-H?

rleng1
01-23-2011, 08:37 AM
Where's Al's dyno when you need it?

GlennCMC70
01-23-2011, 08:55 PM
271/314 :oops:

Interesting in that the battery wasn't getting recharged and had to jump it to get it started, so I'm guessing the computer was reset right before the pulls. :?

Now where's that thread about the dyno at MSR-H?

So you are gonna re-dyno? Do you need a restrictor plate to use?

michaelmosty
01-23-2011, 09:20 PM
What are everyone else's numbers?
I know Gary and Dave were not the only two.

Fbody383
01-23-2011, 09:28 PM
I think the Poooooooorrrrrrrrrrshhhhuuuuuuuuhhhhh made 120/120ish.

Of course I could be remembering high.

I think Sam's V put down 330 or so, the Creamsicle did 253ish???

Neary's car sounded good but he dynoed with a hopped up borrowed plug wire.

BryanL
01-24-2011, 12:20 PM
I think the Poooooooorrrrrrrrrrshhhhuuuuuuuuhhhhh made 120/120ish.

Of course I could be remembering high.

I think Sam's V put down 330 or so, the Creamsicle did 253ish???

Neary's car sounded good but he dynoed with a hopped up borrowed plug wire.

Sounds like that dyno measures a little low to me based on the V.

Fbody383
01-24-2011, 01:54 PM
That's what Sam and I talked about, uncorked we were both down about 7hp from last year.

As long as I'm faster than Old English I'll be happy enough; if you have to use a cane to egress the car do you get extra time?

mitchntx
01-24-2011, 03:59 PM
That's what Sam and I talked about, uncorked we were both down about 7hp from last year.

I talked with Louis at GSSSpeed about CTS-Vs and what numbers they put down.

He told me that a stock Gen1a (LS6) put down about 330 and a Gen1b (LS2) about 20 more than that.

I would expect mine and Sam's V to be in the 350 range.

Mrs. Crumpacker
01-24-2011, 06:33 PM

I believe Sam said the V put down 344...

rleng1
01-25-2011, 05:01 AM

As long as I'm faster than Old English I'll be happy enough; if you have to use a cane to egress the car do you get extra time?

You wouldn't mind if I hooked by cane to your door handle, would you?

Alien
01-25-2011, 07:49 AM
So you are gonna re-dyno? Do you need a restrictor plate to use?
Plan to redyno at MSRH on Friday. DF has offered up the use of his plates, thanks.

Fbody383
01-25-2011, 12:05 PM
You wouldn't mind if I hooked by cane to your door handle, would you? Mr. English, I would consider it an honor to be able to race within a cane's reach of your mighty LS1.

Crumpacker
01-25-2011, 03:41 PM

I believe Sam said the V put down 344...

yup. something like 344/342

creamsicle was 253/295 iirc

I worry his dyno was off, Francis and I pulled 7hp short of last year's numbers with no changes to the cars. A friend of mine pulled his srt8 300 and came up with the same numbers he had on a Mustang dyno a few weeks prior. :? Mustang dynos generally show much lower numbers when compared to a dynojet right?

The dyno also broke during the last pull of our group, luckily it was just a friends truck and not a racecar looking for a dyno cert.

Suspicious.

GlennCMC70
01-25-2011, 04:37 PM
Broke how? Software issue or a mechanical failure?

There was some grumblings as well from the GSSpeed dyno along the same lines - low hp numbers. I plan to put my car on that dynoas well as the one I normally use. Should happen in early March.

Todd Covini
01-25-2011, 05:04 PM
Porsche Power apparently broke the speed sensor.

Fbody383
01-25-2011, 05:18 PM
There was some grumblings as well from the GSSpeed dyno along the same lines - low hp numbers. I only care about relative numbers, i.e. are we all the same from a competition perspective.

From the enforcement angle it's certainly a pain.