PDA

View Full Version : StopTech releases a new, CMC2 specific kit!

Adam Ginsberg
12-14-2010, 01:30 PM
StopTech listened to the CMC racers, and created a CMC2 specific kit, with spares availability, and it's own part numbers for SN95/Fox3/Cam-birds:

http://www.centricparts.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=232%3Astoptech-introduces-nasa-camaro-mustang-big-brake-kits-&Itemid=66

Ryan Kim w/StopTech met with CMC racers at the MMP Nationals in September, and worked with his engineering team to create a kit that meets the CMC2 requirements.

At this time, they do not have a 13" kit for the S197's (they make a 14" kit). However, StopTech is looking for S197 drivers that are interested in purchasing a 13" kit - if they can get 3 or more orders, they will make a CMC2 legal S197 13" kit.

Although the kit does NOT appear on their website, it is available via StopTech's distribution channel. If your StopTech dealer does not have the part number for the CMC2 kit, it's likely they haven't received the updated parts listings.

Driver's requiring more information can contact Ryan Kim directly (info below), or myself.

Ryan Kim
STOPTECH | Motorsports Sales Engineer
rkim@stoptech.com
Mobile: 310.901.5779
Direct: 310.933.1146
Fax: 310.933.1109

donovan
12-16-2010, 01:01 AM
I have the part numbers...

I have been working on getting a few kits in stock.
I can always get them quick if needed as well.

Contact me for pricing.

DD

Chuck
12-16-2010, 01:55 PM
David,

What are the diferences between this kit and the regular 13" Mustang brake kit the ST40 Brake Kit, 332mm Diameter 83.328.4600.71? I see the CMC2 kit has plain rotors instead of the slotted ones, is that the only difference? Same calipers and brackets? Do folks buy the replacement rotors from Stoptech, or are there any other suppliers? The rotors are priced at about $250/each on the MM site, is there anything that works good cheaper?

Thanks,
Chuck
CMC#14

RichardP
12-16-2010, 03:28 PM
What are the diferences between this kit and the regular 13" Mustang brake kit

Chuck
CMC#14

Hard to say. When I discussed the details with the Stoptech guy at nationals, he promised the CMC kit would have the looser rotor attachment hardware to help with pad knockback. All the normally available kits come with streetable attachment hardware that is nice and quiet.

The street hardware does a good job of allowing the rotor to grow radially when it gets hot so you don't get coning. It does a lousy job of allowing lateral float so you don't get pad knockback when the spindle and hub flexes.

Pad knockback is a common complaint with Stoptech stuff. It shouldn't be there with the proper hardware. The race hardware might be noisy, though. Some good rotor setups sound like something is broken when you are driving around the paddock.

The kit might also come with a different/more track ready pad compound???

Richard P.

donovan
12-16-2010, 03:29 PM
What are the diferences between this kit and the regular 13" Mustang brake kit the ST40 Brake Kit, 332mm Diameter 83.328.4600.71? I see the CMC2 kit has plain rotors instead of the slotted ones, is that the only difference?

I do need to ask Ryan again, but my understanding was the Kits for CMC2 were going to have Non-Slotted Rotors and they were going to delete the Street pads from the kit. Oh, and as RP just stated, they were going to include the Race Hardware to help reduce knockback. I have installed the hardware on mine, but have not tracked it yet.

Same calipers and brackets?

Yes

Do folks buy the replacement rotors from Stoptech, or are there any other suppliers? The rotors are priced at about $250/each on the MM site, is there anything that works good cheaper?

Coleman might have something that you could make work, or some of the custom brake suppliers like TCE could come up with something, but why?

I don't see a need to try another brand or supplier.

Mike Patterson got ~3 seasons out of his set on a heavy American Iron Camaro. I have 8 race weekends and 7 practice weekends with my American Iron Mustang, and they look great, should be able to get another season or more out of them.

The way to get them cheaper is to get them from Donovan Racing! :P

Also, don't let the cost of the ST40 pads scare you! The will love you long time! They last me 4 race weekend (PF01's), and still have material left for my practice days! I'm not known for being easy on brakes either, I use my brakes!! They don't call it throwing out the anchor for nothing!!

DD

michaelmosty
12-16-2010, 03:33 PM
Get the "race hardware" definitely. I was very upset with the service I received from Stoptech when I bought my kit. I talked to Ryan about it numerous times and though he is a nice guy he didn't help my pocket book at all. I ended up being out almost an extra $100 for the race hardware.

donovan
12-16-2010, 03:53 PM
Get the "race hardware" definitely. I was very upset with the service I received from Stoptech when I bought my kit. I talked to Ryan about it numerous times and though he is a nice guy he didn't help my pocket book at all. I ended up being out almost an extra $100 for the race hardware.

Yes, I remember that! Uhg! Some of us had flipped the washers around to help with the issue, I'm very happy they now have the race hardware avaliable and its included.

The difference is a flat washer vs a cone washer.

Adam Ginsberg
12-17-2010, 03:46 AM
The CMC2 StopTech kit includes the following equipment:

1. ST40 calipers
2. 13"x1.25" full floating PLAIN FACE rotors, with the "Max float" hardware
3. Caliper brackets and required mounting hardware
4. StopTech brake lines

The kit does not include brake pads, allowing each competitor to source their own preferred pad. No slotted or drilled rotors, no street rotor/hat mounting hardware, and no street pads - that is the "street" ST40 kit.

FWIW, I bought PF01 pads from David for my ST40 kit. Additionally, all distributors/dealers will have access to proper spares (calipers, piston kits, rotors, etc). This was a huge sticking point with many of the CMC racers (for example, calipers were not available for separate purchase prior to the involvement of the CMC group), and StopTech listened.

As noted, the "Max float" hardware will provide more noise, but that should be of little consequence for a full race car. The StopTech replacement rotors include replacement mounting hardware for the hats, as StopTech recommends replacing the mounting hardware. The rotors are unique to the kit - read the StopTech PDF (http://www.stoptech.com/products/img/0605AeroRotorDataSheet.pdf) for more information.

It's unfortunate Michael had to live through the issues, but the flip side is StopTech learned from that experience. The "Street Kit" does not include the "Max float" hardware, and that's why he had pad knockback problems. The CMC2 kits will ONLY come with the Max float hardware, at no additional cost.

donovan
12-17-2010, 08:38 AM
Thanks for the follow up Adam! Good info and feedback.

DD