PDA

View Full Version : Dyno at MSRH

ShadowBolt
12-31-2010, 03:59 PM
I just talked to David Perkins at Spec Racer Sports and he is going to dyno my car on the Friday (1-28-11) of our race weekend at MSRH. He is a nice guy and said if anyone else needed to get a dyno done he would be glad to do it. Friday is the only day he has available right now but that will save me from half a day of BS in Austin. Call him if your interested.

http://www.specracersports.com/contact.htm

JJ

rleng1
01-02-2011, 02:59 PM
thanks JJ. I too will need a dyno on Friday.
I will be arriving back into the US from a business trip to Scotland on thursday, and will load out my car on Friday and travel to MSRH.
If you talk to him again, let him know I will need one as well.
thanks for checking this out.
Randy

Alien
01-02-2011, 04:04 PM
I will be arriving back into the US from a business trip to Scotland ...
Randy

Again? Are you guys hiring?

HoustonNW
01-07-2011, 10:29 PM
I contacted him and got this in the email:

I have a Mustang Gladiator dyno. It is an electro magnetic eddie current dyno. Does Nasa accept data from that that type of dyno?

That won't work, will it?

ShadowBolt
01-07-2011, 10:50 PM
Last year Boudy used someone at MSRH. I will call him and find out.

JJ

GlennCMC70
01-07-2011, 11:01 PM
I contacted him and got this in the email:

I have a Mustang Gladiator dyno. It is an electro magnetic eddie current dyno. Does Nasa accept data from that that type of dyno?

That won't work, will it?

Not a legal dyno. Must be a Dyno Jet brand dyno.

NickV
01-08-2011, 12:32 AM
Jerry, I have an appointment at Henderson Performance in New Braunfels on Saturday the 15th at 10am. If your Houston guy turns out to have the wrong kind of dyno you could call up Henderson and see if he'll dyno your car right after mine since he'll be open and set up for it. Figured I'd mention it since a Saturday might be easier for you than fooling with it during the week.

Afterwards I'll be headed to Harris hill for the annual tech since I'll be in the area. Food for thought :)

Wirtz
01-08-2011, 02:19 PM

JJ

I used a shop at MSR-H last year as well. Brass Monkey Racing is the header on the dyno sheet I have from them. It was the correct type of dyno in their shop.

It was very much worth it getting the dyno done at the track to save having to load and haul the car an extra time. I was happy with what they did for me.

Jeff

rleng1
01-08-2011, 09:29 PM
Al also dynoed at MSRH last year. If the dyno at MSRH is not acceptable, then i would have to request everyone for an exception to allow me to run until I have a chance to get to a dyno after MSRH and before Cresson.

ShadowBolt
01-08-2011, 09:42 PM

JJ

I used a shop at MSR-H last year as well. Brass Monkey Racing is the header on the dyno sheet I have from them. It was the correct type of dyno in their shop.

It was very much worth it getting the dyno done at the track to save having to load and haul the car an extra time. I was happy with what they did for me.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff.

JJ

Adam Ginsberg
01-09-2011, 11:52 AM
Randy

As cool as business travel may appear to be, eventually, it gets old. Trust me.

ShadowBolt
01-17-2011, 12:53 PM
Update:
Answer to an e-mail I sent this morning.

JJ

Jordan,
Our dyno will be open for the NASA event to do baseline runs. We are unable to take appointments for the event due to the amount of people that will need them. Therefor it will be first come first serve. If you have any questions feel free to give me a call (979)864-7003

-Dan Kleven
Brassmonkeyracing.com

rleng1
01-17-2011, 01:02 PM
Thanks JJ.
Did we ever decide if the dyno at MSRH was going to be acceptable?
If not, or if I can not get to the dyno on Friday, then i would need to ask the group if they would allow me to run the weekend, then assign points pending getting the dyno the following week.

ShadowBolt
01-17-2011, 01:08 PM
Thanks JJ.
Did we ever decide if the dyno at MSRH was going to be acceptable?
If not, or if I can not get to the dyno on Friday, then i would need to ask the group if they would allow me to run the weekend, then assign points pending getting the dyno the following week.

This is a different dyno than the one I posed about last time and it's the one Jeff Wirtz and Boudy used last year.

JJ

rleng1
01-17-2011, 01:26 PM
Cool. maybe we can get in line early Friday.
thanks

nasa-rm
01-18-2011, 11:30 AM
"1. Only dyno runs on DynoJet brand dynamometers are acceptable"

If it's a dynojet brand, it is ok. We only specify the brand, not the shop.

If anyone is interested, you can always fire this up

http://www.dynojet.com/dyno_centers/dynocenters1_output.aspx?state=TX

Dang... There's a few in Texas :shock: .

ShadowBolt
01-18-2011, 01:27 PM

The one at Brass Monkey Racing is a Dynojet

JJ

edrock96GT
01-18-2011, 03:18 PM
Randy

Yes, business travel does get old...

nasa-rm
01-18-2011, 06:02 PM

JJ

In like Flynn.... (whatever that means).

I also noticed that the two WC team drivers at Brassmonkey are my buddies from CO. Just shared a car at the 25 Hour with Ott.

JasonLiiR
01-18-2011, 06:09 PM
Hey all you CS guys. I think the dyno at Hough Race Craft at TWS is a dynojet....may save you some time. Not sure about cost or if it is for sure a Dynojet though. I just know they got one not too long ago.

AllZWay
01-18-2011, 08:01 PM
Randy

Especially your type of business. :shock:

marshall_mosty
01-18-2011, 08:55 PM
Randy

Eddie,
Are you calling Randy old??

edrock96GT
01-18-2011, 09:22 PM
Randy

Eddie,
Are you calling Randy old??

Haha!

Randy "Old" English....I like it. :D

rleng1
01-19-2011, 03:21 AM
I resemble that remark 8)

ShadowBolt
01-19-2011, 09:10 AM
[/quote]

In like Flynn.... (whatever that means).

[/quote]

You ask.....

Origin
This phrase is commonly said to be a reference to Errol Flynn, the Australian film actor. Flynn was famous for his romantic swashbuckler roles in Hollywood films and for his flamboyant private life. His reputation as a hard-drinking, hell-raising ladies' man was apparently well justified, although it has doubtless been enhanced by his delight in playing up to his image. For instance, he entitled his autobiography - My Wicked, Wicked Ways and also did nothing to dispel the incredible but nonetheless widespread rumours as to the the size of his penis and the number of women who had shared his bed. Flynn was acquitted in February 1943 for the statutory rape of a teenage girl.

The word in had been used with regard to success, good fortune or sexual conquest for some years prior to the 1940s. For example:

John Mills' Life Race-Horse, 1854: "The handicapper ... considerately classed me among the middle ones, and awarded 6 st. 12 lb. as my burthen. 'He's vell in,' said my owner, 'very vell in.'"

Alfred Mason's Clementina, 1901: "His luck for the moment was altogether in."

E. Wilson's Twenties, 1923: "Well, did Mr. Wilson get it in tonight?"

All of the above might lead us to believe that origin of the phrase 'in like Flynn' is clear. As so often though, things aren't quite as tidy as they might first seem. The earliest recorded use of the phrase is in a December 1946 edition of American Speech:

"In like Flynn, everything is O.K. In other words, the pilot is having no more trouble than Errol Flynn has in his cinematic feats."

That doesn't have the sexual connotations that the phrase acquired later. There's also an earlier, albeit oblique, reference from 1942 - in The San Francisco Examiner (Sports section):

"Answer these questions correctly and your name is Flynn, meaning you're in, provided you have two left feet and the written consent of your parents."

Errol Flynn's particular notoriety as someone especially likely to be 'in' in a sexual sense came about after his trial in 1943, although he was already known as a screen romantic lead. If the phrase does derive from his name then it appears to have been coined in regard to his all-round flamboyance and fame - which were both considerable by 1942 - rather than specifically his sexual success.

Another possible figure who could plausibly have been the source of the phrase is the political organizer Edward J. Flynn. He was a campaign manager for the Democratic party during the 1930s and 40s and was well-known to be highly effective at arranging political successes. Such machiavellian organizers were known as bosses. Flynn, with some irony, called his autobiography 'You're the Boss', in a reference to the American voting public.

Edward J. Flynn had not been associated with the phrase 'in like Flynn' prior to the efforts by etymologists to explain it though and no records from the 1940s make any such link. It seems very much more likely that Errol Flynn is the Flynn in question and, although the phrase may have been used before he was at the peak of his celebrity, it became well-known by association with him.

The 1967 James Coburn starred in the film, In Like Flint. This was a sequel to the 1966 Our Man Flint and presumably the screenwriters, on the lookout for another 'Flint' phrase, opted for a play on 'In like Flynn'. There's now some confusion between the two phrases and some use 'In like Flint' as if it were synonymous with 'In like Flynn'.

nasa-rm
01-19-2011, 05:08 PM
Somebody move that man to the front of the line!

Alien
01-22-2011, 11:19 PM
Update:

JJ

Jordan,
Our dyno will be open for the NASA event to do baseline runs. We are unable to take appointments for the event due to the amount of people that will need them. Therefor it will be first come first serve. If you have any questions feel free to give me a call (979)864-7003

-Dan Kleven

Brassmonkeyracing.com

Jerry,
Was this in regard to Friday or for Sat/Sun?

Don't want to flood the poor guy with more unnecessary emails...

- G

ShadowBolt
01-23-2011, 11:13 AM
Update:

JJ

Jordan,

-Dan Kleven

Brassmonkeyracing.com

Jerry,
Was this in regard to Friday or for Sat/Sun?

Don't want to flood the poor guy with more unnecessary emails...

- G

I ask him about Friday. I hope he understood that.

JJ

rleng1
01-23-2011, 11:54 AM
JJ,
See you in line on Friday.

RichardP
01-23-2011, 06:59 PM

We got Dan Allford's CMC2 car on the dyno at Brass Monkey Racing this morning. No issues and he's ready to go...

Richard P.

mitchntx
01-23-2011, 07:35 PM
I forgot to post my CMC 2 numbers.

http://i940.photobucket.com/albums/ad242/CLehrlich/img017.jpg

marshall_mosty
01-23-2011, 07:41 PM
I forgot to post my CMC 2 numbers.

http://i940.photobucket.com/albums/ad242/CLehrlich/img017.jpg
Too bad it's not a nice flat torque curve... :?

mitchntx
01-23-2011, 08:00 PM
True ... but I'll take 600@3K FTW ...

ShadowBolt
01-04-2012, 03:33 PM
I just talked to Dan. He is on the way to test at Daytona. He is going to get back with me on if he can have someone do dyno runs for us on the Friday prior to the race (1-27-12). He thinks that is the race weekend but maybe someone will cover for him at MSRH on the dyno.

JJ

Mrs. Crumpacker
01-04-2012, 09:13 PM
Hey all you CS guys. I think the dyno at Hough Race Craft at TWS is a dynojet....may save you some time. Not sure about cost or if it is for sure a Dynojet though. I just know they got one not too long ago.

Josh moved last month to Florida. I heard he took his dyno with him...

kbrewmr2
01-09-2012, 11:21 AM
I just talked to Dan. He is on the way to test at Daytona. He is going to get back with me on if he can have someone do dyno runs for us on the Friday prior to the race (1-27-12). He thinks that is the race weekend but maybe someone will cover for him at MSRH on the dyno.

JJ
I'd love to get a dyno done Fri @ MSRH, so keep us posted :)

JasonLiiR
01-15-2012, 07:23 AM
Josh moved last month to Florida. I heard he took his dyno with him...
That post was from 2011. Its an old topic. I was confused for a minute to.

David Love AI27
01-16-2012, 10:53 PM
I'd love to get a dyno done Fri @ MSRH, so keep us posted :)

I should be at MSRH this weekend... if so I will go and check it out...