PDA

View Full Version : Valve Springs

David Love AI27
01-04-2011, 01:56 PM
looking to replace the valve springs in a 305 TPI... any suggestions?

Alien
01-04-2011, 02:41 PM
Brand or how to?

I just used the stock replacement pioneers (I think that was the brand).

David Love AI27
01-04-2011, 03:06 PM
rotate motor till the exhaust valve is open for that cyl so you don't loose the valves????

Summit has sets from $60 to $200... The CMC rules state that they must be same materials and spec as OEM.... What are the OEM ones made of and are springs made of different materials?

marshall_mosty
01-04-2011, 03:39 PM
David,
I would recommend using either an air hold and a good old fashioned valve spring compressor. Michael and I replaced the springs on his car in about 30 minutes (actual spring replacement time and not prep work (removal of the valve covers, rocker arms, etc.).

I have the tools, if you want to borrow at Houston. Just don't know your time frame.

Alien
01-04-2011, 03:42 PM
I just tried that method this time on the LT1. The valve drops 1/4-1/2". Good that it doesn't fall, but, maybe it was the tool I used, I struggled for two hours to get just three valves done.

Last time on the TPI, I rented an air compressor, had no issues. Was feeling cheap this time and tried it without. I caved and finally bought an air compressor 'for my Christmas' this year. Hooked it up to the hose that came with my compression tester ( http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Actron-2-1-2-in-quick-release-compression-tester-kit/_/N-25j0Z1z141sn?counter=2&itemIdentifier=487835_0_0_ ) The valve doesn't drop at all, makes it 10x easier. Did all the other valves in the time it took me to do 3 the previous attempt.

My take on the springs is they just need to be steel. I'm sure there are more exotic materials out there. The grade of steel is open.

Maybe the brand I got was melling... I'll check when I get home tonight.

David Love AI27
01-04-2011, 04:18 PM
Just kidding about piston being up... I have compressor just need the tool... Think I'll look into getting a compressor tester and adapting...

not my first rodeo...

main concern is having a CMC legal spring... would hate for Jason to get DQed....

GlennCMC70
01-04-2011, 04:25 PM
Just kidding about piston being up... I have compressor just need the tool... Think I'll look into getting a compressor tester and adapting...

not my first rodeo...

main concern is having a CMC legal spring... would hate for Jason to get DQed....

All you need to know. Spend more than $50 on a set and your splurging.
8.5.11 Any valve springs, spring seats, retainers, keepers, shims, and locks may be used provided they are the same metal as OEM and are mounted to the OEM valves. Lash caps may only be used if present on the OEM setup.

edrock96GT
01-04-2011, 04:27 PM
I had an instructor in school that said to feed some yarn into the cylinder through the spark plug hole and then raise the piston. It's cheap, simple and wont leak. :lol:

Al Fernandez
01-04-2011, 05:23 PM
Wow, sounds a lot like using toilet paper for a pilot bearing remover Eddie :lol:

David Love AI27
01-04-2011, 05:36 PM

not my first rodeo...

8.5.11 Any valve springs, spring seats, retainers, keepers, shims, and locks may be used provided they are the same metal as OEM and are mounted to the OEM valves. Lash caps may only be used if present on the OEM setup.

I read the rules, for a change... Summit has a set with bonnet seals, springs and retainers for $69.95

GlennCMC70
01-04-2011, 06:48 PM

not my first rodeo...

I read the rules, for a change... Summit has a set with bonnet seals, springs and retainers for $69.95

If you know the OD of the spring, the seat preasure, and open preasure of the OEM springs, you can match it to a set of springs only. Will save a few bucks. Probably not worth it. That is what I'm gonna spend on a set of springs myself.

Casey_SS
01-04-2011, 07:53 PM
LT4 spring kits used to be available from Scoggin Dickey and many others for $34....IIRC they need a 1.8" install height and I had to shim a few to get there on my old stock LT1 heads - not sure what the TPI specs are but I'd think it'd be pretty close on both install height and open / closed pressures. Definitely check first though...

GlennCMC70
01-04-2011, 09:51 PM
They are $38 and change now.