PDA

View Full Version : Best brake pad choice for stock rotors- currently in HPDE3

jdlingle
02-06-2011, 11:54 AM
I know this one will probably comes down more to brand loyalty for some but I am wondering what pads to use on my DE 3 96 Mustang. I have been running the Hawk HP+ (glorified autocross) pads and they are obviously pretty overmatched for full on track days, but as a plus they need almost no warm up. I will end up changing rotors to Cobras or BB after I get my comp license, but for now I am still on the stock rotors and calipers and need to replace the pads as mine are getting thinner.

What is a good track day pad for my car? I want something much better than the HP+ pads but I don't know what temp range I need to be looking for in pads to make them effective for the short DE sessions that I am currently running.

Thanks as always for the suggestions.

GlennCMC70
02-06-2011, 11:59 AM
Carbotech XP8 or 10 for the front.
The 10's will require some warm-up. But that really only consists of dragging the brakes during the out lap. In HPDE, the first lap is under yellow, so that is the perfect time to do this.

cobra132
02-06-2011, 12:13 PM
I use carbotech XP12 on the fronts and XP10s on the back. I would start out with 10s and 8s and see how you like them. FMR

GlennCMC70
02-06-2011, 12:58 PM
I was thinking an XP8 in the front. It should be a huge jump from the HP+'s. If that does not work, then a XP10 will.
As an HPDE3 guy, your expiriance level may not allow you to modulate a XP10. You may still have ABS and then it will not be an issue. An XP 8 will heat up sooner and a 10.

Best bet, try them out and see what works for you. I think most of the AI guys run the 12's. Lots more speed to slow down. Most CMC cars run the 10's.

mitchntx
02-06-2011, 01:11 PM
I've run a couple events using Hawk HPS pads in my full trim CTS-V without an issue. Its weighs 2 tons.

Granted I haven't run it at a track I'd consider hard on brakes like ECR, But H2 is a short track, lots of speed and requires heavy braking in a couple places.

I'll have it at MSR-C on Friday.

ShadowBolt
02-06-2011, 02:26 PM
I've run a couple events using Hawk HPS pads in my full trim CTS-V without an issue. Its weighs 2 tons.

Granted I haven't run it at a track I'd consider hard on brakes like ECR, But H2 is a short track, lots of speed and requires heavy braking in a couple places.

I'll have it at MSR-C on Friday.

Can I rag....I mean drive it around a few laps?

JJ

BlueFirePony
02-06-2011, 03:30 PM
I have found the EBC line to be excellent.
I used their Green pads for street and then switched to Red for DE days initially but finally switched up to Yellow for TT events. That's as far as they went until last summer when they built a new plant and are now producing their Blue Stuff full race compound which supposedly requires no bedding.

Had a set on order for Houston but they arrive the day we left so I suspect I'll test them out at Cresson. We actually ran on Yellows at Houston.

edrock96GT
02-06-2011, 03:46 PM
I've got the 13" Brembo ('00 Cobra R) brakes on the front and I just put a set of DTC 170's on the front before ECR last year. They squeal a lot when cold but work great at operating temp.

Jeremy Gunter
02-06-2011, 09:33 PM
The more aggressive you go on pads, the more you will tear the rotors up. I would suggest something like EBC Yellow pads, of course this depends on how hard you are on your brakes, but you can run these on the street as well as the track, without any issues. They are inexpensive to at 80 a set... I raced with them for 3 events, before I upgraded.