PDA

View Full Version : Rollbar padding rquirement - rules seem to have changed!

GlennCMC70
02-14-2011, 08:40 PM
While working the Tech Shed at MSR-H on Friday, I learned that just days before the first NASA TX race weekend of 2011, the interpretation of the CCR's rollbar padding had changed w/ regards to how its written. Notice that the wording has not changed since 2005 (oldest copy I have), but rather it's implied meaning.
Please read the below link and keep yourself informed as this plays out. Be prepaired to replace your rollbar padding if your found to be out of compliance.

http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=39567

jdlingle
02-14-2011, 09:56 PM
Thanks for posting. My car is going to the cage builder the Monday following MSRC and this will keep me from buying the wrong padding. I'm just gonna bite (more of) the bullet and get the SFI stuff.

michaelmosty
02-15-2011, 09:26 AM
It does seem silly to require the expensive stuff for even areas your hand might come in contact with. I'm cool with putting the expensive stuff around head impact areas but requiring on the door bars seems crazy.
Hopefully we'll get a final rules clarification soon so we are not scrambling around before Cresson.

GlennCMC70
02-15-2011, 09:47 AM
It does seem silly to require the expensive stuff for even areas your hand might come in contact with. I'm cool with putting the expensive stuff around head impact areas but requiring on the door bars seems crazy.
Hopefully we'll get a final rules clarification soon so we are not scrambling around before Cresson.

You would be better off buyingit now and bringing it to the track ready to install. If the rule ends up not requiring it, you can send it back.

michaelmosty
02-15-2011, 09:51 AM
Agreed, I will definitely buy the padding for the a-pillar, eyebrow bar, etc. but would rather hold off on the door bar padding until it officially says I need it.

AllZWay
02-15-2011, 10:28 AM
I want to know EXACTLY what to buy before I buy.

mitchntx
02-15-2011, 10:47 AM
Gosh, this whole thing sound vaguely familiar ... what was it?

Oh yes ... R888

edrock96GT
02-15-2011, 12:58 PM
Thankfully Cresson has the store at the track. I had to make several trips to it last year to pass tech for my first AI race but they were well supplied. I was able to get everything I need to get the car to pass. Just something to keep in mind for all the guys that don't want to order a bunch of stuff they might have to send back.

Alien
02-22-2011, 03:34 PM

Well, don't buy it if it conforms to the letter of the rules, cause that's illegal. :roll:

AllZWay
02-22-2011, 04:50 PM

Well, don't buy it if it conforms to the letter of the rules, cause that's illegal. :roll:

I still haven't seen anything in the rules that says mine is illegal...or what I am supposed to purchase to replace it with.

GlennCMC70
02-22-2011, 05:57 PM

I still haven't seen anything in the rules that says mine is illegal...or what I am supposed to purchase to replace it with.

Do you have your annual already? I'll not be looking at your car till 2012.

AllZWay
02-22-2011, 08:02 PM

Do you have your annual already? I'll not be looking at your car till 2012.

Cool.... :D

Rob Liebbe
02-22-2011, 08:37 PM
I agree - the response from up high/national was unclear and poor. The problem is that you may get varying interpretation from various inspectors. I am with Glenn on this one and will not turn away cars that meet the current wording. If upper management doesn't like it, they can "fire" me. If the rule is unclear, then so will the interpretation.

marshall_mosty
04-08-2011, 06:58 PM
Just re-did all my padding. Pool noodles are gone and SFI padding is now in-place. I was able to get by with 3+ sticks. Had about 2/3 of the 4th stick left over.

I have two full sticks of non-SFI "high density" moulded padding (Long Acre) that I will be bringing to the track. If anyone gets in a pinch, you are more than welcome to them.

I've padded everything that I did with the old stuff, so hopefully it will be good enough.

Good way to spend $100... :roll:

Hood
04-10-2011, 02:27 PM
If I make it to TWS I'll need to get the car annual'd as well. I have the high density SFI padding on the halo and upper cage members. The door bars all still have the softer 'high density' foam padding. Do I need to replace the door bar padding or what?

GlennCMC70
04-10-2011, 04:31 PM
You will need the high density stuff.

mitchntx
04-10-2011, 05:56 PM
I have the high density SFI padding on the halo and upper cage members.

The door bars all still have the softer 'high density' foam padding.

You will need the high density stuff.

Awesome! Totally awesome!

Hood
04-10-2011, 06:29 PM
Ok... clear as mud...

I'm going to interpret that as "you need to change out the padding".

Let me try to clarify this for myself. Please respond with an answer that isn't ambiguous.

The 'old' style roll cage padding fully encircles the cage bar and is considered 'high density'. The new 'high density' SFI rated padding is the stuff with peel and stick backing and only is applied on one side of the bar and is what we are supposed to use... correct?

I was under the impression that the high density foam was designed for areas that could be impacted by the helmeted head... quote from SFI supplier - "SFI-rated foam padding is designed to prevent a helmeted head from contacting a solid object. It is very stiff and does not give except in hard impacts."
I don't know about you but my arms and legs don't have a hard shell covering them and I would much rather have the softer "high density" foam near those appendages.

One more question. Will a 'high density' door bar mat (covers both bars) be allowed?

michaelmosty
04-10-2011, 07:41 PM
I was under the impression that the high density foam was designed for areas that could be impacted by the helmeted head... quote from SFI supplier - "SFI-rated foam padding is designed to prevent a helmeted head from contacting a solid object. It is very stiff and does not give except in hard impacts."
I don't know about you but my arms and legs don't have a hard shell covering them and I would much rather have the softer "high density" foam near those appendages.

I 100% agree. Gary gets the award for the most understandable reply to this horribly written rule!!

GlennCMC70
04-10-2011, 08:00 PM
How about you all go F yourself. I'm as pissed as anyone over this crappy written rule and its poor timing of the change. We have beaten this thing to death. I didn't go back and tell folks who had annuals before this change that they needed to switch it. I thought I was doing you guys a favor. This is the thanks I get. I could very easily determin your padding needs to be changed before taking the track at TWS. I myself followed the same expectations I explained above - if it needs an annual from the date clarification was made or later - you need the "legal" stuff.I will not give you a sticker if you have the "old" stuff and NASA Tech will not either. I spent my money on new padding. Padding I already had. I expect no different from you.
There have been numerous threads involving clarification from NASA HQ.
The short of it is this:
The soft stuff is not considered "high density" per NASA HQ and therefor does not meet the written rule of the CCR. NASA stated that you must use the SFI stuff or the stuff that resembles SFI stuff. This is the "half-round" padding. As for the mat, I would assume so since the bar would be covered w/ high denisty padding.

GlennCMC70
04-10-2011, 08:02 PM
Reposting the link -
http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=39567

mitchntx
04-10-2011, 08:41 PM
How about you all go F yourself

Lighten up, dood.

Gary asked do I use the High Density with SFI like around my head or the High density foam like around my legs.

Your response was ... use the High Density stuff.

That was funny ... I don;t car what make car you drive

Image Verification:
fm26rj