PDA

View Full Version : Rear Wing Widths..what is allowed?

chicane23
07-09-2006, 02:07 PM
What is the official verdict on the wing widths?
Where are you allowed to measure from? Can the wing be as wide as the widest part of the car?

The latest GRM shows a picture of Bryan Shugg’s Mustang on pg. 159 and that is one very wide wing! It seems to stick out from the body a large amount, but I can be wrong! ;-)

Todd Covini
07-09-2006, 08:15 PM
Tech Bulletin on wing width measurements will be issued later this week on the AI forum by JWL.

-=- Todd

AI#97
07-13-2006, 04:45 PM
Tech Bulletin on wing width measurements will be issued later this week on the AI forum by JWL.

-=- Todd

Any updates...? Haven't seen anything on Nasaforums yet...

Todd Covini
07-13-2006, 11:34 PM
Coming tomorrow and I think you'll be happy.

-=- T

AI#97
07-14-2006, 06:44 PM
Coming tomorrow and I think you'll be happy.

-=- T

Max width of 72" not including end plates or bolts.....That's a lot of wing! I am going to have to go measure what will fit in the trailer!!! :lol:

chicane23
07-15-2006, 05:58 PM
This is so funny as I asked for this exact same thing Feb. 19th. To have a set number for all cars to adhere to and it was 72".

I would bet that there were a few car that were not compliant. ;-)

This is a great new rule!

AI#97
07-15-2006, 07:19 PM
This is so funny as I asked for this exact same thing Feb. 19th. To have a set number for all cars to adhere to and it was 72".

I would bet that there were a few car that were not compliant. ;-)

This is a great new rule!

So does this mean you are going to come back to play...?

Or are you just poking sarcastic fun at the fact they just re-wrote the rule to "umbrella" all the non-compliant cars?!! :lol:

chicane23
07-16-2006, 09:12 AM
:-)

No comment!

JWL
07-17-2006, 11:24 AM
Gentlemen-

Just to be abundantly clear, I measured both "fingered" West Coast cars and both were completely in compliance with the old rule which looked to the overall width of the car to set the wing width. The new limit was set in the interest of simplifying the compliance process and not to cover up any non-compliant cars.

Thanks.

-JWL

mitchntx
07-17-2006, 12:40 PM
Gentlemen-

Just to be abundantly clear, I measured both "fingered" West Coast cars and both were completely in compliance with the old rule which looked to the overall width of the car to set the wing width. The new limit was set in the interest of simplifying the compliance process and not to cover up any non-compliant cars.

Thanks.

-JWL

Wow ... specific examples of what was done and the reasons behind issue.

Leaves no wiggle room, made the point and did it so that no one was alienated.

I believe that is a new lap record!

:twisted:

AI#97
07-17-2006, 01:45 PM
Gentlemen-

Thanks.

-JWL

JWL, we completely understand and agree...the miscommunication was the wing could only be 1.5" wider than the body DIRECTLY BENEATH the wing....our cars get considerably narrower at the rear. Yes, my car is overall 74" wide at the rear fender flares....but would only be about 64" wide beneath where the wing would have been mounted....either way, I think I don't have a probem with the interpretation! :lol: