PDA

View Full Version : How do I remove Mustang steering wheel lock?

jdlingle
03-20-2011, 06:25 PM
Talked to a few different people and haven't got a concrete answer on this one yet. My car is at the cage builder and when it comes back I will probably have one maybe two weeks to finish up a few last things to get it comp legal before comp school. (Wont race CMC that weekend but still need to get logbook issued)

How do I remove or disable the steering lock on a 96 Mustang? Pictures or a link would be hepful. I cant find any useful info on this and my steering lock is still operational. Want to get this done but dont wanna f the car up right before comp school. Thanks as always.

cobra132
03-21-2011, 04:10 PM
Removing the steering wheel lock on a 96 mustang is a real pain in the ars. I did it many years ago and wanted to kill myself. A year later during the first enduro the column gave out and at the end of the race I could move the wheel about 5 inches in any direction. I would advise trashing the whole steering column and installing a solid race type set-up. It takes a little fabrication but is a ton easier than messing with the stock unit and in the end you have something that is solid and trouble free. Take a look at my set-up or any of the other guys at TWS. FMR

GlennCMC70
03-21-2011, 04:18 PM
Removing the steering wheel lock on a 96 mustang is a real pain in the ars. I did it many years ago and wanted to kill myself. A year later during the first enduro the column gave out and at the end of the race I could move the wheel about 5 inches in any direction. I would advise trashing the whole steering column and installing a solid race type set-up. It takes a little fabrication but is a ton easier than messing with the stock unit and in the end you have something that is solid and trouble free. Take a look at my set-up or any of the other guys at TWS. FMR

Not CMC legal.

Jeremy Gunter
03-21-2011, 06:36 PM
on the 99-04s there is a white plastic lever on the ignition somewhere, I can't remember where exactly. You just need to remove this lever and spring. I know yours is a 96-98 and could be different. Hope that helps!

jdlingle
03-21-2011, 10:12 PM
This?
http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/yy149/jdlingle/IMG_9072EDIT.jpg[/img]

jeremiahkellam
03-21-2011, 11:03 PM
Nah, Jeremy is refering to the plastic slide the ignition switch fits into.