PDA

View Full Version : Nationals - lets get organized!

GlennCMC70
07-10-2006, 10:15 AM
here is a chart of the contingency programs that CMC / AI / AIX qualify for. if there are errors, please let me know, and i'll correct them. many of these programs require you to fill out paperwork and send to the company prior to nationals. all the programs are listed @ the Nationals page.

Todd Covini
07-10-2006, 01:17 PM
Awesome work, Glenn!!! Thanks for getting this going.
I've asked Glenn to coordinate our Texas Team of AI/CMC travelers heading to the Nationals in September. Let's funnel all our resources and ideas to Glenn so he can coordinate our efforts and work with Adrian, myself and some of the National staff to make our effort a successful one!

Wouldn't it be nice to have a Texas 1-2-3 on podium?????

-=- Todd

AI#97
07-19-2006, 01:50 PM
Wouldn't it be nice to have a Texas 1-2-3 on podium?????

-=- Todd

I could see it in CMC maybe but AI would only be able to occupy one step....and I don't think he is going anymore??? Donovan talked about going and I need to speak with him about that as I am still trying to decide if I am going to go or not. Looking at the size of the entry list for AI as of last friday....I am thinking I like my body panels just the way they are!!! :wink:

Boudy
07-19-2006, 06:20 PM
:D :D :D Hallelujah! :D :D :D A different subject; well done Glen.

Boudy

dirwin
07-19-2006, 07:22 PM
The red striped 86 car will be there, not sure about me yet. Spencer has the 86 out on the west coast finishing getting the shake out done. With a now legal AI car, 368 hp 373 tq he took 1st Saturday, 2nd Sunday at Willow Springs. Would have run better Sunday, but he had the same set of tires that he left MSRH with.

AI#97
07-19-2006, 07:51 PM
The red striped 86 car will be there, not sure about me yet. Spencer has the 86 out on the west coast finishing getting the shake out done. With a now legal AI car, 368 hp 373 tq he took 1st Saturday, 2nd Sunday at Willow Springs. Would have run better Sunday, but he had the same set of tires that he left MSRH with.

Damn! That thing weighs 3500 lbs?! No wonder you need new tire after every event! :wink:

donovan
07-20-2006, 08:31 AM
It’s still on my schedule to attend Nationals, the question is with the car or not.

So, can I be competitive at Nationals with a car that is 250 lbs heavy… Not really, if I go to Nationals I would need a new engine to be competitive… I don’t have it in the budget to do that before September… So, I have a hard time thinking I will get a podium there.

I have some thinking to do before them…

Unless someone has a engine laying around they would be willing to loan me for the event.

David D.

GlennCMC70
07-20-2006, 08:53 AM
weather or not your going to win should not be a factor. i dont exspect to podium either.

donovan
07-20-2006, 09:26 AM
The key word in my message was 'competitive'...

I feel like I am competitive here in Texas, but unsure about a National event.

Either way you look at it, I'm down on power and/or over weight for the class rules, and I'm not talking 5HP, its more like 35HP 35TQ to be exact.

I don't feel like spending $ton$ for a lapping session in Ohio.
With that said, I'm still working the angles to see about gettng there.

David D.

AI#97
07-20-2006, 09:27 AM
weather or not your going to win should not be a factor. i dont exspect to podium either.

Yes, but with a 40+ car field of competitive AI cars, racing is going to be tight and furious with 3 qualifying races and the feature. They are still saying AI/CMC/AIX on course at the same time and that is over 60 cars to date, and many have yet to sign up. The car is going to take a toll and given that David is sitting pretty good in points, bringing back a wrecked car only not to finish the last race of the season in TX while vying for the championship here is a tough choice. That is the reason I am not going. I have just watched the SCCA run offs each of the last 5 years and by the end of the weekend, half the field leaves with bent or broken cars.....just too much at steak to risk it!

dirwin
07-20-2006, 09:35 AM
MW,

That thing ran the 40 minute at MSRH, 3 test days at Bondurant, 2 days at Firebird, 2 races and 2 qualifing sessions at Willow Springs, all on the same set of tires. Toyo's are a bit better than you seem to think. Poor balance kills tires faster than anything. Not to mention, all of its time spent running in Arizona have been in 100+ temps.

DI

AI#97
07-20-2006, 10:15 AM
MW,

That thing ran the 40 minute at MSRH, 3 test days at Bondurant, 2 days at Firebird, 2 races and 2 qualifing sessions at Willow Springs, all on the same set of tires. Toyo's are a bit better than you seem to think. Poor balance kills tires faster than anything. Not to mention, all of its time spent running in Arizona have been in 100+ temps.

DI

I I know how good they are....If I wanted to, I would have run the same 4 I started this season with for the next two events!!! I just want fresh sticky rubber to do well till the end. My point was for the same tire to take the abuse of a 3500 lb car with 40 more rwhp than my 3100 lb car is a lot to ask of the tire and driver to not get them greasy toward the end of the race. I know mine are about done after 40 minutes and the rears get really greasy and loose. I am working on that problem though! :wink: Just thinking about the laws of physics... and how I can use it as a competition advantage for the next few races!! :P

dirwin
07-20-2006, 10:56 AM
The tires went away on the Sunday race at Willow Springs, I just didn't send him with another set of tires or he would have had new skins :roll: .

We have found that when we overdrive with the 3500 pound car the tires will go away fast. We also don't run the same pressures you guys run. These Toyo's are worse than Hoosiers as far as being tempermental with pressure.

jeffburch
07-20-2006, 07:13 PM
I dunno.
Still on the fence.
Just don't know.
http://www.texicanracing.com/nasatx/JeffBurch/Burch%20Graphics%209sm.jpg

marshall_mosty
07-20-2006, 08:37 PM
Jeff,
I like it, but I would go with a darker shade of blue.

mitchntx
07-20-2006, 10:25 PM
Nice, Jeff. Very, very nice.

I assume this is the much anticipated official anouncement?

GlennCMC70
07-20-2006, 10:45 PM
here are a few thought i put on paper last week. i havent had much time to add to the list of things we should bring up and talk about. feel free to add to it.

who's going?

route

communication during travel
FRS?

Motorhomes?

enclosed trailers?

grills?

generators?

spares?
who needs what
fox
SN95
3rd gen
4th gen
Co-ordinate local non-participants bring/provide spares?

pit arrangement
pit all CMC together grouped by region?
pit all TX together grouped by class?

tools
air tools
Compressor
nitrogen bottles to run tools

National CMC Dinner?
at the track or local restaurant
What night?

Contingency programs
who's eligible for what and are we qualified?

Pre-tech?
Check all cars prior to trip
all cars run through tech @ Nationals?
CMC/AI knowledgeable rep?

GlennCMC70
07-20-2006, 10:49 PM
yep, i'm trying to get this back on topic. :P

macstang
07-21-2006, 12:38 PM
Micah and I will be there the week prior. He is registered for the Mid Ohio school on Friday. We will be an advance party to do the recon and report any intelligence that we observe. I dont think we can mark off areas for us to camp or paddock, but we will be able to get info to yall before yall leave Texas.

We prolly need Glenn's number or any one else that can pass the info on.

GlennCMC70
07-21-2006, 08:14 PM
guys, i would like to get a contact data sheet going for our locals racers. this could be as simple a someone starting a thread and each person making a post w/ any al all contact methods they would like to have available to other racers.
the reason this is comming up now, is we want to make a contact sheet to hand out to all the racers going to Nationals just in case one needs to contact the other or someone back home to have something shipped, or whatever.

if you want your info available to the racers @ National but not posted here in a public forum, email it to me @ Glenn_Landrum @ msn dot com and i'll keep it where you want it.

Nick
07-23-2006, 11:37 AM
here are a few thought i put on paper last week. i havent had much time to add to the list of things we should bring up and talk about. feel free to add to it.

communication during travel
FRS?
FRS works as long as people aren't far apart.
Emergency CB's in a box (http://cgi.ebay.com/GE-HELP-CB-2-WAY-RADIO-40-CHANNEL-EMERGENCY-INFO-NR_W0QQitemZ260010284195QQihZ016QQcategoryZ1501QQs sPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) don't cost much, but would add to total expense of the trip. Not sure of distance on these though.

pit arrangement
pit all CMC together grouped by region?
pit all TX together grouped by class?
Is National assigning this? If not, I prefer to pit with TX guys, but near everyone else.

tools
air tools
Compressor
nitrogen bottles to run tools
I'll have enough room to bring my small compressor if needed.

National CMC Dinner?
at the track or local restaurant
What night?
A mandatory driver meeting is Wed night at 8.
Restaurant is easier (but costs more) if we can get a local racer suggestion. What time is the track closing the gates each night?

Contingency programs
who's eligible for what and are we qualified?
I've got the new Carbotech stickers.. and Toyo. That's it for me.

Pre-tech?
Check all cars prior to trip
all cars run through tech @ Nationals?
CMC/AI knowledgeable rep?
Having someone else look over the cars is a good idea. TWS is a perfect opportunity and gives enough time to correct potential issues. Then maybe again a couple weeks before.

GlennCMC70
07-25-2006, 01:17 PM
guys and gals that are planning on going, i would like to add your names and contact info to a list i'm compiling. this will be handed out to all TX CMC/AI racers prior to Nationals. things like cell#, home #, home address, email addy are things i'm looking for.
email me @ Glenn_Landrum @ msn dot com .

this will come in handy in case of emergencys durring travel to and from and while @ the track in Ohio. we all need to be able to reach each other to offer and ask for assistance if needed.

GlennCMC70
07-25-2006, 01:18 PM
also, cell #'s of crew persons attending w/ you would be helpfull.

Racebrat
07-25-2006, 05:47 PM
Hey Guys!

I'm trying to put together a DVD of various racing footage to play at the Nationals at the memerbship booth. Of course, when I was asked to head up this project, I immediately thought of the awesome AI/CMC Texas DVD I have in my living room. Who would I contact to get permission to use that at the Nationals? David Donovan? Also, anyone else want to donate any footage to be used? We will give you credit with your name, car number and class on the bottom of the shot.

Thanks!

Todd Covini
07-27-2006, 10:24 PM
Hi Adrian,
Credit goes to Eric Varner for producing the short version and David Donovan for producing the long version of the video.

We've already obtained permission from National Hdqtrs to produce and distribute the video for entertainment purposes. (It's literally been seen by over 8,000 internet viewers to date.) hahahaha

From where I sit, go ahead and use it.

-=- Todd

Todd Covini
07-27-2006, 11:35 PM
From Glenn's original questionaire....

1) WHO? I'm firming up my plans to go.

2) ROUTE? No idea yet. Mapquest takes a pretty po-dunk route from Houston to West of Dallas and goes mainstream after that (~1200 miles)

3) COMMS DURING TRAVEL? I'll have my cell phone and I've got a bunch of old Nextel radios (seems like the evolution collection of Nextel phones since Day 1) if we only knew of someone who could activate them for a week or so. :wink:

4) MOTORHOMES?- I've reserved a 36' Monaco Class A diesel pusher from the 9th to the 19th. I'm willing to use it as the "TEXAS AI/CMC CENTRAL COMMAND".

5) GRILLS? probably not me. If someone else could, that'd be great.

6) GENERATOR? Yep...I'll have one, maybe 2 depending on capacity of the rental unit.

7) SPARES? I've got to check. I've got a spare rearend, tranny and clutch for a Mustang but will have to assess their "readiness" before loading 'em up.

8 NEEDS? Engine parts...I really don't have too many spare engine parts for 5.0. (and hopefully don't need any) Popular Mustang items in need are all the accessories (alternator, PS pump, water pump, radiator, PS rack, etc.)

9) PIT ARRANGEMENT? Adrian...I'll call you and/or Glenn this weekend to discuss this and any other Nationals info before our TWS banquet so as to put together my presentation for sharing info.

10) TOOLS? I'm planning on bringing my air compressor and air tools.

11) NATIONAL AI/CMC DINNER? I'll take the lead on this one, Glenn. I'm sure I'll be talking with Tony G. and JWL as we get closer. I'd like to make it an AI/CMC deal and not just CMC. We'll see...

12) CONTINGENCY PROGRAMS? Looks like Glenn's matrix has got it all covered. See Glenn for details...nice work!

13) PRE-TECH? I'd be happy to help and go over cars at TWS with a special eye toward Nationals. We can discuss possible areas of attention/disparity between regions for AI/CMC cars. The rules have gone thru many interations in the past 10 years and we can discuss them further at TWS.

14) BONUS- Jessica @ NASA TX is working on Texas region shirts, patches and car decals to represent the region at Nationals.

Basically, I'm treating the Nationals as a weeklong racing party. I'm going to give it my all, but won't be disappointed if I don't podium. There are going to be so many activities and great people there that my actual racing will just be icing on the cake.

Stay tuned...more details Saturday nite, August 5th!

-=- Todd

Racebrat
07-28-2006, 09:48 AM
I'll make the same offer to ya'll if you want my help that I made to the SM group for the Nationals.

I have offered to get with their Series Director at TWS and find out what contingency stickers are needed in order for everyone to have the proper stickers at the Nationals. If ya'll can get me a list together (or I can make it at TWS by walking through the paddocks) of what stickers ya'll will need from the contingency list, I can call all of the companies and gather up all of the stickers for ya'll. I am arriving in Ohio Sunday September 10th so I will be there plenty early. I will have all of the stickers with me when ya'll arrive.

As for route, KC (my hubby) and a friend of ours just got back last week from the 12 hours at Nelson Ledges. They had to drive right past M-O to get to NL. I can find out what their route was but I think it was pretty much a straight shot from Houston to Dallas and then up through Arkansas, Kentucky, etc. May be the same route Todd mentioned.

Paddock Space- we are working on trying to get enough space so that the entire Texas group can paddock somewhat together. Is anyone renting a garage? As soon as we have an approximate number of cars and how many BIG rigs (Todd's RV) are going to be there I can try to make the arrangements. Like I said, I'm flying in on Sunday afternoon so I'll have plenty of time to rope off an area for us I think.

Let me know if you need anything else or have any other question!

See ya'll soon!

A

Racebrat
07-28-2006, 09:52 AM
Hi Adrian,
Credit goes to Eric Varner for producing the short version and David Donovan for producing the long version of the video.

We've already obtained permission from National Hdqtrs to produce and distribute the video for entertainment purposes. (It's literally been seen by over 8,000 internet viewers to date.) hahahaha

From where I sit, go ahead and use it.

-=- Todd

I was more concerned about asking Eric and David if they minded than asking National HQ if they minded, remember, HQ asked me to do this! :-)

So, Eric and David- May I have permission to use all or part of the DVD ya'll produced at the Nationals?

Any other footage would be more than welcomed as well. With the "overwhelming" response I have gotten from everyone else, we may be playing ONLY Texas footage....AI/CMC, SRX7 and SM is all I have so far!

Thanks

donovan
07-28-2006, 10:52 AM
You have my permission to use it as needed.

I am also working on some footage from this year, that... Uhm... shows some improved driving skill...

David D.

Racebrat
07-28-2006, 01:18 PM
David- thank you so much!! You have no idea how much I appreciate it! I'd love to have some video of this year if that was an offer....

See ya'll at TWS!

Racebrat
07-28-2006, 01:26 PM
David- thank you so much!! You have no idea how much I appreciate it! I'd love to have some video of this year if that was an offer....I'd love to be able to tell the interested watchers "oh yeah, that guy? He's out there this weekend driving the #X car. You should go watch that race!" and get some people actually interested in knowing who the man (or woman) is behind the great machine. I thrive on the people side of this sport so any help you can give me to talk up my local heros is always welcome!

BTW- when you arrive at the track in Ohio and register, among the sheaf of papers will be a driver bio page. Please fill it out and turn it in ASAP since that is what the track announcer will be using during the events. Put as much detail in as you want. Remember to mention your sponsors, families and friends. We want everyone to know that TEXAS has invaded Mid Ohio!

See ya'll at TWS!

donovan
07-28-2006, 02:35 PM
I will put some of our races from this year on a DVD and make sure you have it before Nationals.

Racebrat
07-28-2006, 04:07 PM
I will put some of our races from this year on a DVD and make sure you have it before Nationals.

You Rock! ;-)

GlennCMC70
08-10-2006, 08:34 AM
i'll start a new thread. this is to long and off topic.