PDA

View Full Version : Once again thinking about a tuner for my 6L PSD

mitchntx
03-27-2011, 11:38 AM
Just too much information, each manufacturer is obviously "the best".

So from what I've been able to weed through via the boards is an SCT Tuner has the most options and ability to DL and install custom tunes.
There is also a Livewire version which is bluetooth capable and has a "real-time" display of engine parameters. That's a plus instead of relying on the lie-o-meters in the cluster.

What's your experience?

Adam Ginsberg
03-27-2011, 08:17 PM
Tread carefully, Mitch. Ford has an excellent capability to verify if you've "flashed" the ECU. A "go-between" unit is harder, near impossible, for them to verify.

If they figure out you've tuned the engine, the warranty is gone. $14,000 for a new 6.0L PSD, not installed.

mitchntx
03-28-2011, 07:42 AM
Mid 06s and 07s aren't the albatross the early year 6Ls were.

The transition to the new design was incorporated. Better (and more) clamping force was factored into the head design.

And with a 6L, Ford will do anything to void the warranty. On FTE, some have reported the warranty voided for pulling a trailer, citing "abuse". I'm sure there is more to the story, but still ...

I'm not looking to build monster power and go to the drag strip. I would like this deisel to perform close to what my GM gas engine did, however.

Adam Ginsberg
03-28-2011, 03:33 PM
Some of the early 6.0L PSD problems, particularly with cooling, had to do with folks flushing or adding regular green coolant to the system when Ford required the gold stuff. There were other issues as well (EGR coolers failing, wiring harnesses too short, failed head bolts/head gaskets, etc).

Have you spent any time on www.powerstrokehelp.com? Besides Bill being a bit of a character, he's a wealth of information on the 7.3L, 6.0L and 6.4L PSDs.

He's got a rather ingenious device called the EDAS that I plan to purchase and install to help avoid a large repair bill later on down the road.

Regarding the Ford warranty - so far, I've been very fortunate to have any issues the have popped up covered under warranty. It helps that I have EVERY service record for the truck, and it's 100% completely stock (something they ask every time I bring it in). As for the guy who had his warranty denied for "towing a trailer as abuse" - there HAS to be much more to that story. (What's "FTE"?)

Several months ago, I had a Ford service manager riding along in my truck with my fully loaded trailer attached. He was diagnosing an issue that only appeared when it was fully loaded (enclosed trailer, race car, all gear, etc), and on a grade. He asked what the GVW was with the whole rig, and I had a weight slip showing that it was not overloaded. Fortunately, he datalogged EVERYTHING possible (all sensors reported normal, with normal temperatures), and found a warped exhaust manifold. My point is he was there when the trailer was attached, and that's a legitimate use of the truck. Hell, that's what it's designed to do!

NASA13
03-28-2011, 10:56 PM
I have broken my 6.0 many times.

Buy an Edge programmer with attitude.

Expect monster gains.

Before you install it, BYPASS THE EGR COOLER>!!!!!

This is not negotiable and it will leave you stranded (or worse) if you dont do it.

Even if you dont tune the truck bypass the EGR cooler. It is a terrible design and it cost me an engine and many tows.

Call me with any questions, I have a lot to share.
After bypassing the cooler, the biggest issue with tuning will be head gaskets, and if you dont run the crap out of it, it should be ok.

Adam Ginsberg
03-29-2011, 11:27 AM
Even if you dont tune the truck bypass the EGR cooler. It is a terrible design and it cost me an engine and many tows.

I've heard this same suggestion many times (powerstrokehelp.com mentions it, too). In TX, it likely won't be a problem. In CA, I can't get away with it.

NASA13
03-29-2011, 12:15 PM

I've heard this same suggestion many times (powerstrokehelp.com mentions it, too). In TX, it likely won't be a problem. In CA, I can't get away with it.

How would they know? Do they "sniff" diesels there?
In Austin and Dallas we sniff gas only.

Adam Ginsberg
03-29-2011, 01:51 PM

How would they know? Do they "sniff" diesels there?
In Austin and Dallas we sniff gas only.

Well, I'm sure you sniff all sorts of things, Corey. ;)

Eh, sort of. They plug into the service port under the dash, they do an underhood inspection, and, they now have the driver rev the truck up to, and past 2000 RPM to see if there's significant smoke....they are trying to crack down on chipped trucks.

I suppose if there wasn't anything overt, and it doesn't change the exhaust smoke, they probably couldn't tell.

cjlmlml
03-30-2011, 09:30 AM
they must pay you nuculeeear guys toooo much.

mitchntx
03-30-2011, 10:04 AM
they must pay you nuculeeear guys toooo much.

Did you post this using charged batteries or were you plugged into a wall socket?

Either way ... yer welcome.

cjlmlml
03-30-2011, 12:58 PM
http://www.ctsolar.com/economylaptopsolarpowersystempoweryourlaptopfromth esunguaranteed.aspx

mitchntx
03-30-2011, 02:24 PM
Cool stuff.

How does it do at night or just after a Texas hail storm?

Alien
03-30-2011, 02:27 PM
Cool stuff.

To find out, goto...
http://www.ctsolar.com/howdoesthiseconomylaptopsolarpowersystempoweryourl aptopfromthesunguaranteedatnightorjustafteraTexash ailstorm.aspx

cjlmlml
03-31-2011, 11:09 AM
Cool stuff.

To find out, goto...
http://www.ctsolar.com/howdoesthiseconomylaptopsolarpowersystempoweryourl aptopfromthesunguaranteedatnightorjustafteraTexash ailstorm.aspx

yeah Mitch.

mitchntx
03-31-2011, 06:38 PM
Cool stuff.

To find out, goto...

yeah Mitch.

So your laptop AND the server hosting this site is on solar power? Quite green of you.

HoustonNW
03-31-2011, 07:52 PM
Sooooo, back on topic. What exactly do you not like about your 6.0?

I've never towed with a big block gas engine, and my 6.4 might have a little more torque than your truck, but I love my Superduty.

Even with the 10K+ lb. trailer behind it, when I come to a hill the boost goes up and the truck and trailer simply keep going.

Are you looking for less downshifting, better mileage, more PAH?

Ford does seem to be on a mission to deny warranty coverage to every diesel with a tune. Now I can't blame them - I've edumacated myself a little about diesels. A pretty cool concept, if you want more power then you simply add more fuel.

Forget waiting for rpm so the computer can add more gasoline to keep you in the proper air/fuel ratio.

Forget improving the airflow in and out of the engine.

More power <--> more fuel!

So the end result is that it is really easy to make ridiculous power from a diesel and therefore overstress the motor.