PDA

View Full Version : TWS Comp School

GlennCMC70
04-08-2011, 08:51 AM
I know alot of folks who have not attanded this type of thing. Now is the chance to do so.

http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=41436

edrock96GT
04-08-2011, 12:16 PM
I'd still like to get in on this even though I have my license. Is there any way to be able to sit in on the classroom portion without registering for the entire $325 comp school?

GlennCMC70
04-08-2011, 12:34 PM
I'd still like to get in on this even though I have my license. Is there any way to be able to sit in on the classroom portion without registering for the entire $325 comp school?

You will have to ping Dave B on that one. It is a good question.

Perhaps we could set-up an AI/CMC classroom and have Mike Patterson give us his world famous "The chess game of road racing!" lesson. We have talked about this year after year and it never happens. I credit this "talk" Mike gave me back in 2005 when I started for my quick success.

Fbody383
04-08-2011, 01:25 PM
Is there any way to be able to sit in on the classroom portion I was just gonna crash it and sit quietly in the back of the room.

I'd consider myself a "teaching assistant" in that case; even if for examples of what not to do in some cases. I figure if I hear what the next influx is learning, I'll better know what to expect from them on track.

mitchntx
04-08-2011, 01:26 PM

You will have to ping Dave B on that one. It is a good question.

Perhaps we could set-up an AI/CMC classroom and have Mike Patterson give us his world famous "The chess game of road racing!" lesson. We have talked about this year after year and it never happens. I credit this "talk" Mike gave me back in 2005 when I started for my quick success.

I've certainly carried that evening's happenings with me.

JasonLiiR
04-08-2011, 03:38 PM
Id be interested in trying to get in on this also. I signed up for the enduro but it got cancelled...is there only the classroom session on friday or is there track time also?

Fbody383
04-08-2011, 04:14 PM
Perhaps we could set-up an AI/CMC classroom and have Mike Patterson give us his world famous "The chess game of road racing!" lesson.

PATTERSON!
Dinner on me if you're game to hold court... even post class libations of your, ahem, reasonable choice.

GlennCMC70
04-08-2011, 04:17 PM
I've sent Dave B an email pointing him to this thread.

Casey_SS
04-08-2011, 04:21 PM
I'm in for this as well - was already planning to hide in the back of the comp school class but certainly won't miss the Patterson lesson if it happens.

ShadowBolt
04-08-2011, 04:32 PM
If Mike is going to teach I want to go.

Jerry

nasa-rm
04-09-2011, 09:24 AM
Anyone can sit in. $$ depends if we buy dinner or not. Biggest issue is we've had 10 people, their kids, 3 crew members each, their dog and mother in law crash it and eat all the pizza that was supposed to be for the comp school guys.....

If you want to sit in, just bring your own food and drinks or let me know Friday afternoon so we can get enough to cover you as well.

JasonLiiR
04-09-2011, 10:34 AM
I never realized how true the saying "everyone wants to be like Mike" until this thread started.

mitchntx
04-09-2011, 11:08 AM
Note the subtle difference ...

- be like Mike
- race like Mike

Both are scarey at times.

David Love AI27
04-11-2011, 08:46 PM
SO... does this include "in car" instruction???

nasa-rm
04-12-2011, 11:30 AM
SO... does this include "in car" instruction???

Nope. There is nothing we want to teach about racing from the passenger seat.

Or at least, I don't want to teach it from the passenger seat. "See the green flag? Go Go Go!!!" "See how you left your nose in there and the other guy chopped it off? If you hadn't done that, we wouldn't be sitting upside down now." Or my favorite - "Why yes, going through there four wide can be done on the first lap. You can go fix your door while I change my shorts."

But our presentation does have in-car video. Helps show when you do, do not have right to the line. Taking advantage of someone leaving a hole open, etc.

kbrewmr2
04-12-2011, 11:39 AM
with other NASA regions I've done Comp Schools with the idea is that going in you know how to drive fast by yourself (ie you've learned all you can be taught by someone sitting beside you in the car) and that what you need to learn is how to race, pass, etc safely and proficiently. Thus in-car instruction would be pointless, but some instructor cars are out there testing you, setting up passes on you and setting up to be passed by you to see how you respond and how well you're getting what the school is teaching you.

YMMV with this one, but I expect it would be the same / similar, right Dave?

BlueFirePony
04-12-2011, 01:11 PM
I'd like to make this but doubt I'll be there...Dave is piloting that weekend.
I did my comp with SCCA at Houston with Beaux Barfield and an assortment of Porche (mostly Valkryie cars) and Mercedes 32xs. Beaux is a great instructor but I know I've forgotten half of what he told me and replaced it with what Mike, Daron, Glenn, Mitch, Michael, Frank, JP, Dave, Clifton (you get the idea) have told me..probably why my racing style is so bi-polar ;)

MikeP99Z
04-12-2011, 07:24 PM
Welcome to Fight Club. The first rule of Fight Club is: you do not talk about Fight Club. The second rule of Fight Club is: you DO NOT talk about Fight Club! Third rule of Fight Club: if someone yells "stop!", goes limp, or taps out, the fight is over.

You sure you want this discussion? I'd prefer to not lose my RD position over it. So, with that said, it would be a non-NASA sanctioned "discussion" because Dave, Todd, and Al might get a bit "upset" over some of it, even though it is all "legal" per the CCR. Presented by one racer to the others. When my helmet is on, I am not a nice person...

mitchntx
04-13-2011, 02:25 AM
As one of the original darn drivers I'd prefer Mike maintain his status in N-TX.

So I think leave well enough alone.

Fbody383
04-13-2011, 10:47 AM
So, with that said, it would be a non-NASA sanctioned "discussion" because Dave, Todd, and Al might get a bit "upset" over some of it, even though it is all "legal" per the CCR. Presented by one racer to the others.I'll pay for your dinner; we can even go "off campus" if we need to ~ everybody's welcome. But not if you have a real concern about RD status.

When my helmet is on, I am not a nice person... I'll take some of that too. I don't have any philosophical issues with aggressive but clean.

ShadowBolt
04-13-2011, 03:17 PM
All I know is the guys like Mitch that got to learn from Mike are better at Racecraft than the rest of us. I don't mean they are faster, hell all of us can beat Mitch but you better not have to pass his wide ass! Just kidding for sure but I have noticed that the guys Mike did classroom with are crafty. While I'm just trying to keep up Mikes students are planning a few turns ahead.

JJ

AllZWay
04-14-2011, 09:38 AM
I would prefer that none of you learn anything more than you already know. :D

Fbody383
04-14-2011, 12:01 PM
I would prefer that none of you learn anything more than you already know. :D PPSSShhhaaaa... James Edward, your mother would tell you to play nice with the other kids. And I don't see no winner's stickers on MY car.

mitchntx
04-14-2011, 12:25 PM
I would prefer that none of you learn anything more than you already know. :D

Mike and I were conspiring ... I mean chatting ... you were there that night weren't you?

Me, Glenn, Mike S, Chris B, Nick R, Chuck B and you. Right?

AllZWay
04-14-2011, 02:42 PM
Mike and I were conspiring ... I mean chatting ... you were there that night weren't you?

Me, Glenn, Mike S, Chris B, Nick R, Chuck B and you. Right?

No..I actually missed it because I was out of town or something, but I have gotten a few of his lesson at other times.