PDA

View Full Version : Teardown rule?

Mike Bell
07-11-2006, 07:08 AM
I was always under the impression there was no teardown rule in NASA regarding CMC. Given recent discussions, I found the following in the CCRs:

17.2 Post Race / Qualifying Legality Inspection
Tech Inspectors have the right to inspect anything in sight. If they choose to inspect an
exhaust manifold and they notice something suspicious with the exhaust port, they have
the right to ask the driver to take apart the motor.

Is there a provision for teardown?

chris-CMC#35
07-11-2006, 07:56 AM
This is from the CMC Rules of 2006:

7.7. NASA tech inspectors and CMC Officials have the right to inspect anything in sight. However no CMC competitor shall be subject to any form of engine tear down.

That's pretty darn clear to me: no tear down in CMC. I don't know about AI or AIX.

-chris

Lewis Tanner
07-11-2006, 08:19 AM

7.7. NASA tech inspectors and CMC Officials have the right to inspect anything in sight. However no CMC competitor shall be subject to any form of engine tear down.

That's pretty darn clear to me: no tear down in CMC. I don't know about AI or AIX.

-chris

There's no teardown in CMC. Anyone that thinks there is doesn't understand the rules.

AI#97
07-11-2006, 08:28 AM

-chris

There's no teardown in CMC. Anyone that thinks there is doesn't understand the rules.

without the rules in hand, I can't say for sure, but why would AI have a tear down rule when engine mods are open except for drysumps, nitrous and switchable computer chips? I might understand asking for an oil pan to be removed if it were oversized and hiding a sneaky pete bottle but seriously...?

Boudy
07-11-2006, 08:38 AM
My understanding:

The CCR gives the rules as to govern across the classes.

The class rules specify where there are exeptions to the CCR.

I would like to see someone employed at our events who knows the rules completely.

Boudy

Mike Bell
07-11-2006, 08:40 AM
I hadn't ever noticed that in the CCR's but I obviously don't know the CMC rules that well either! Now, back to reading that owners manual for my VCR.......... :lol:

TEXAST1
07-11-2006, 06:42 PM
This rule only exists for cost and expenses reasons. Tearing a motor down can get expensive and time consuming.

AI#97
07-11-2006, 07:41 PM
This rule only exists for cost and expenses reasons. Tearing a motor down can get expensive and time consuming.

Yes, and the question I would pose is that if the officials insist on a tear down and the motor is found to be compliant....how foots the bill? Thank god I run AI so I don't have to worry about that crap... :lol:

Todd Covini
07-12-2006, 12:57 AM

Those are good ones, but they aren't the only reasons for the rule.
We also created the rule because:
- it's demotivating to do round after round.
- CMC's founding philosophy of "turn-key" cars (oil change and go).
- minimize wrenching at the track.
- maximize fun and comeraderie at the track.
- attract new racers into a series who might not necessarily be mechanically inclined (who wouldn't otherwise enter racing.)
- and others.

(...but what do I know.) :wink:

-=- T

TEXAST1
07-14-2006, 09:00 PM
Again, all points made are majority cost control. :D

I am diggin' it. Nother better than being beatin' by wallet racing! 8)

Lewis Tanner
07-14-2006, 09:45 PM

Is that a hint about Mr. Mixon's future racing ambitions? Is CMC in the wind?

Mike Bell
08-18-2006, 08:47 AM

-chris

Apparently there's been a change or a possible change at the National event and someone is asking the hard questions:

http://www.camaromustangchallenge.com/cmcbb/viewtopic.php?t=1977&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

NASA13
08-20-2006, 03:54 PM

Is that a hint about Mr. Mixon's future racing ambitions? Is CMC in the wind?

Speaking of CMC ambitions, Lewis;When are we going to see the whites of your eyes again?