PDA

View Full Version : How much crunch is too much crunch?

Fbody383
06-06-2011, 08:55 AM
So now the car crunches going into 3rd.:(

I still speculate that I mounted the clutch master a little too low on the firewall but with brand new hydraulics it would go into every gear cleanly when running. It hasn't liked going into reverse when running for a while now but doesn't creep in gear with the engine running and clutch in.

I changed the clutch fluid and bled it but there is still some crunch going into third with the engine running. Engine off, it will shift into every gear cleanly.

How much abuse will this thing take?

I have a spare trans (that i've never run) and clutch (that i've never run) to bring to Hallett just in case.

ShadowBolt
06-06-2011, 09:30 AM
So now the car crunches going into 3rd.:(

I still speculate that I mounted the clutch master a little too low on the firewall but with brand new hydraulics it would go into every gear cleanly when running. It hasn't liked going into reverse when running for a while now but doesn't creep in gear with the engine running and clutch in.

I changed the clutch fluid and bled it but there is still some crunch going into third with the engine running. Engine off, it will shift into every gear cleanly.

How much abuse will this thing take?

I have a spare trans (that i've never run) and clutch (that i've never run) to bring to Hallett just in case.

I drove a 1967 VW for three years grinding going into second gear. It was still doing it when I sold it in 1976. Of course it was not a racecar and only made 53 h/p.

JJ

AllZWay
06-06-2011, 10:13 AM
The gears themselves are pretty strong....the syncros are not. Sounds like the syncros are worn bad on reverse and third.

I have flipped the reverse syncro before and isn't that big of a deal work with, but the farther you get down in the transmission the more difficult I could see it is to fix and I just had Texas Drivetrain repair it when I lost 4th and 5th.

Download the T-56 re-build manual.

http://shbox.com/1/t56_service_manual.pdf

kbrewmr2
06-06-2011, 10:36 AM
if you want to rebuild it without it costing alot more than it should, swap it now. If you don't care, run it till it won't go in anymore.

y5e06
06-06-2011, 10:38 AM
i've rebuilt half a dozen T56's. they aren't too bad if you take your time.
its worth it to try it out.
I've had good luck using royal purple synchromax in bandaid'ing a crunch syncro.

Fbody383
06-06-2011, 11:54 AM
Instructions ~ I don't need no stinkin' instructions!Thanks, James; never hurts to have that link floating around. What did your work cost you? Anybody got a Houston shop they trust if I don't dive in it myself?

If you don't care, run it till it won't go in anymore. Ken, tell me again why you don't race with us... you fit right in.

I've had good luck using royal purple synchromax in bandaid'ing a crunch syncro. I may try that... and bring the spare to Hallett. I guess I have another project now. Good excuse to buy a press now.

Hood
06-06-2011, 01:03 PM
David,
It still sounds like you may have a little clutch dragging while it is supposed to be disengaged. Jack up the rear wheels. Start the car with it in gear (doesn't matter what gear) and the clutch depressed and foot on the brake. Release the brake (while still holding the clutch pedal down) and observe the rear wheels. If they move then you still have a clutch problem.

AllZWay
06-06-2011, 01:04 PM
What did your work cost you?

I can't really remember, but I think it was less than $500 including parts. Mitch has also used them to rebuild a transmission and he might remember what his cost.

kbrewmr2
06-06-2011, 01:08 PM
Ken, tell me again why you don't race with us... you fit right in.

haha I know - when I've got enough racing budget to field two cars... :)

btw - pretty sure my parent's neighbor that does alot of the Mustang guys' T5s also can do misc other Tremec stuff. That'd be my first call anyway...

Rob Liebbe
06-07-2011, 09:56 AM
Houston T-56 repair. Look up Rosehill Performance http://www.rosehillperformanceparts.com/ NW area off of 290 and Mueschke Rd. Keeps a lot of parts in stock and is very reasonab le on the labor rates.