PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust flange nut

HoustonNW
06-06-2011, 10:25 AM
I finally got around to looking for my exhaust leak, assuming that I would just need to tighten one of the flanges.

Turns out one of the nuts is actually missing. Is there anything special about the nuts, maybe stainless so they don't rust so quickly? Where is the best place to get them?

Alien
06-06-2011, 10:49 AM
AFAIK, the stock nuts are just flanged 10x1.5 nuts.

If I had the choice, I'd use brass ones.

y5e06
06-06-2011, 10:52 AM
they aren't stainless. OE ones do have a 'crimp' to them so it is a tight fit and they won't back off... except for yours. dunno if the parts store has them or not, so can't help you there.
side tip: i use anti-seize on my exhaust bolts/nuts as it aids in removal once heavy rust starts in.

Hood
06-06-2011, 01:09 PM
Be especially careful to use anti-seize if you install stainless nuts/bolts. They will gall and become more of a problem if you just used steel hardware. Also avoid over-torquing as they are considerably weaker than a grade 8 fastener. Brass is a good choice for the nut too. It won't gall but do not over-torque.

BryanL
06-07-2011, 04:43 PM
I probably have an extra in the garage if you want an old rusty original. Let me know. Or call up a performance shop that works on LS cars in your area. I bet they have an old manifold laying around or some old bolts somewhere.

GlennCMC70
06-07-2011, 05:43 PM
The correct term is not "crimped" but rather "interference" fit.
If you look at the flats on the nut you will see some "dimples". This is to keep it from backing off. A normal metric nut will work fine.