PDA

View Full Version : XP10 vs XP12, Carbotech

y5e06
06-16-2011, 09:32 AM
For many years I've only run Carbotech XP10 on the front of my red car( LS1 calipers, 12" brakes, CMCx). It is now time to stock back up on pads, in doing so I am wondering if there is any benefit to trying a new compound, specifically the XP12's.
Has anyone tried these out somewhat recently in comparison to the XP10's? Any notable comparisons between the two? perhaps longer pad life (reduced rotor life)? better modulation? etc.?
If I were to follow the mantra "Go with what works" I'd stay w/ the XP10s, which I may do, but I'm considering the 12's never the less.
Even when punishing the brakes at Hallett and running the pads down to near the rivets I saw no brake issues related to the pads themselves (the lines however, are a different story...), they performed wonderfully.

Carbotech™ XP10™ (1110™)

When Carbotech unleashed the XP10™ to the general public, and it was an instant success, gathering multiple regional, divisional, and national championships. The XP10™ is a very high initial bite friction material, with a coefficient of friction and rotor friendliness unmatched in the industry. Fade resistance is in excess of 1650°F. Due to the high level of friction and bite, this material is recommended for cars weighing around 2,000lbs or more, not including formula cars and cars with brake bias bars weighing less than 2,000lbs. This is the preferred compound for the front of Spec Miata racers, SSC,SSB, T3, SRF, ITS, ITE, H1,H2, H3, H4, 944 Cup, ST, GS, Factory Five Cobra’s and many more Grand-Am/ALMS/SCCA/NASA classes. XP10™ is also ideal for advanced/instructor level HPDE drivers. XP10™ still maintains the highly praised release and excellent modulation, rotor friendliness, and 100% non-corrosive dust that have made all Carbotech compounds so successful. XP10™ is not recommended as a daily-driven street pad due to possible elevated levels of dust and noise.

Carbotech™ XP12™ (1112™)

The latest iteration of the highly successful XP™ series of compounds with an extremely high initial bite, torque and fade resistance than compound XP10™. XP12™ is a world leading friction compound that is unmatched as a Ceramic racing compound, with a temperature range of 250°F to 2000°F+. The XP12™ still has that excellent Carbotech release and modulation that has made all other Carbotech compounds so successful. The XP12™ is the most rotor aggressive compound Carbotech offers, but compared to the competition the XP12™ is still very rotor friendly and contains 100% non-corrosive dust. XP12™ is recommended only for expert/very advanced drivers. XP12™ is found to be most affective on race cars weighing 2,400lbs or more using R-Compound tires; or street cars weighing 3,200lbs or more for track use only. Ideal for LMP1, LMP2, DP, T1, T2, T3, H1, H2, GT1, GT2, GT3, TC, GT, ST, GS, MX-5 Cup, etc… XP12™ is NOT recommended for use as a daily driven street pad due to possible elevated levels of dust and noise.

Oh, I'll be ordering mine from our good friend at http://donovanracing.com/

mitchntx
06-16-2011, 11:28 AM
I ran one set of XP12s a few years ago.

They are a lot harder on rotors than 10s.
They have a tremendous initial bite, causing lock up in non-ABS cars.
Not as easy to modulate on an OEM pedal, booster and MC setup.
They were more expensive and lasted about third less than 10s.

YVMV

y5e06
06-16-2011, 12:12 PM
quite a few negative aspects there. thanks for the feedback.

Casey_SS
06-16-2011, 01:19 PM
I ran several sets of XP12s before finally trying the 10s. My experience was consistent with everything Mitch said above, except the locking up. I don't have ABS and never had problems locking 'em up with warm tires on a dry track. Cold tires and/or wet track is a different story :) Regardless, the 10s are the clear winner in every category for me.