PDA

View Full Version : WTF I thought this was a done deal?

ShadowBolt
06-21-2011, 10:58 AM
Just received this e-mail.

Dear NASA Member / Former Member,

Please forgive me for this unsolicited email. This really isn’t about NASA either. It’s about a brand new, state of the art, racing facility here in the USA; Austin Texas to be exact. They are trying to lock in a Formula One race, and without all of the state and local authorities fully onboard, it might not happen. If it doesn’t happen, the track project might fail. Please spare just a few seconds to sign the petition referenced below. I am including the original letter from the track below.

Thank you for your help,

Jerry Kunzman
Executive Director
PS: The meeting is June 23. Please spread this through all social media.

If this is not a done deal it's on the schedule for next year and they have spent a ton of money already.

JJ

Crumpacker
06-21-2011, 11:10 AM
I signed the petition using my 'spam email address'.

BryanL
06-21-2011, 11:13 AM
Typical of Austin. I signed it as well with Sam's work email.

Casey_SS
06-21-2011, 12:41 PM
Welcome to Texas politics. This is largely being led by a city council woman who is running for higher office on a platform primarily based on fighting the F1 deal. Apparently that appeals to some voters who are pissed about recent cuts in education funding even though the two are mutually exclusive. It'll go through in the end but not without sufficient political grandstanding along the way.

AllZWay
06-21-2011, 01:17 PM
Welcome to Texas politics. This is largely being led by a city council woman who is running for higher office on a platform primarily based on fighting the F1 deal. Apparently that appeals to some voters who are pissed about recent cuts in education funding even though the two are mutually exclusive. It'll go through in the end but not without sufficient political grandstanding along the way.

This... I have been following this on LinkedIn. I think it still happens, but there are big city council meeting today.

mitchntx
06-21-2011, 01:30 PM
Similar grandstanding took place in the mid 90s when Texas Motor Speedway was on the drawing board.

I recall many commissioners and council folks saying that this area wouldn't support such a facility and that the promoters were inflating the projected numbers of folks attending and economic impact.

Crumpacker
06-21-2011, 01:35 PM
Typical of Austin. I signed it as well with Sam's work email.

Ironically, that's my 'spam email address'.

If you got an Aflac card on your car, that was a clever retaliation prank by a friend (NASA in April, I parked his car sideways in the TWS garages, blocking some of his GTS buddies' spots). He found a box of my old Aflac cards while staying at the house that weekend then distributed them on windshields Sat night at Hallett. Well played Jake.

ShadowBolt
06-21-2011, 01:53 PM
You have to remember Austin has more Hippie tree huggers than about anyplace on earth except San Fran. Austin had a sidewalk flower vendor as mayor for a few years.

JJ

nasa-rm
06-23-2011, 10:45 AM
Ahhh.... hence the suggestion by the one council member that the COTA facility incorporate a community garden.

kbrewmr2
06-23-2011, 10:56 AM
Ahhh.... hence the suggestion by the one council member that the COTA facility incorporate a community garden.

hell we'll let them hold some hippie festivals there if they want - just let 'em finish building it already!

jdlingle
06-24-2011, 08:01 AM
They postponed the vote yesterday. Will now decide on it next week. ALmost 300 people at the meeting both for and against the track. It just irks me that they told the promoters to do it this way and the promoters have done what they said they would and now ACC is refusing to do the same.

mitchntx
06-24-2011, 08:40 AM
They postponed the vote yesterday. Will now decide on it next week. ALmost 300 people at the meeting both for and against the track. It just irks me that they told the promoters to do it this way and the promoters have done what they said they would and now ACC is refusing to do the same.

It irks you that politicians lie? Really?

jdlingle
06-24-2011, 12:05 PM
Yep. Just old fashioned I guess. All I ask of people is to do the things they say they will. Apparently that is just too much trouble for politicians.

nasa-rm
06-24-2011, 12:07 PM
hell we'll let them hold some hippie festivals there if they want - just let 'em finish building it already!

That was in my email that I sent to the city council reminding them of what could be done at the facility for the other 360 days per year. I tried to list out all the benefits that would outweigh the obvious negatives of holding an event of this size. And yes, that included all the smaller event organizations (oh say NASA) that would be interested in using the facility throughout the year.

The head stuck in the sand issue is that Austin already fills all their hotel rooms to capacity every weekend and has no use for more tourism.....

marshall_mosty
06-24-2011, 01:02 PM
The head stuck in the sand issue is that Austin already fills all their hotel rooms to capacity every weekend and has no use for more tourism.....

Anyone have Jay Carley's contact information. I know he's in the hotel biz. Maybe he needs to get down to Austin and build some hotels to support the F1 efforts since they apparently are at capacity... :)

edrock96GT
06-24-2011, 02:07 PM

I wonder if they compare that year by year, being since 1st Cav will be pretty much all deployed for the rest of the year. I'm sure a good chunk of Austin's "tourism" is just us getting rooms for the weekend so we don't have to drive back that night.

AllZWay
06-28-2011, 04:34 PM
I received this note today.....

Dear Friends,
We are now truly coming around the last corner on the final lap of this race! Our opponents are playing downright dirty with funding assistance from several interest groups from inside and outside the State. They have resorted to filing frivolous lawsuits, spreading mis-truths to incite fear and we must not be deterred.

The Major Events Trust Fund is ALL performance based. Every other large city in Texas has benefited from it several times including Houston in April (Final Four) and Dallas in February (Super Bowl). Austin finally has an event hand delivered to them to be able to participate.

COTA has gone two steps further than any other event has ever gone. COTA is putting up all the risk for the city of Austin and has agreed to the “green” demands that no other sporting facility of any kind on the planet has ever even remotely had to consider. This Wednesday June 28th at 10:00am at City Hall is the MOMENT OF TRUTH!

The show of support last week was incredible but we need even more this Wednesday. If at all possible, please come show your support in person by signing up in favor of the F1 project and speaking if you so choose. 1,100 jobs and over $4 Billion dollars to the economy over the next 10 years are at risk…and it is at NO cost to the city.

Even if you do not reside in Austin or Texas, please take the time to show your support for the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix project.We have started Ã*our own petitionß to show the Austin City Council that there are lots of people supporting the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix project. Please take a couple of minutes to visit the link and sign the petition in favor of Austin Hosting the 2012 Formula 1 Grand Prix.

Your voice is powerful and you will be heard. Forward this message to your friends and family. Ask them to stand behind us and help bring F1 back to the United States of America. Also, please continue sending letters to council members at their addresses below.

Lee.Leffingwell@ci.austin.tx.us<mailto:Lee.Leffingwell@ci.austin.tx.us>; Chris.Riley@ci.austin.tx.us<mailto:Chris.Riley@ci.austin.tx.us>; Mike.Martinez@ci.austin.tx.us<mailto:Mike.Martinez@ci.austin.tx.us>; Laura.Morrison@ci.austin.tx.us<mailto:Laura.Morrison@ci.austin.tx.us>; Bill.Spelman@ci.austin.tx.us<mailto:Bill.Spelman@ci.austin.tx.us>; Sheryl.Cole@ci.austin.tx.us<mailto:Sheryl.Cole@ci.austin.tx.us>

Thank you,
Friends of Formula 1 Austin Texas
Posted By Vance Facundo

Papa Kellam
06-29-2011, 04:51 PM
I sent my 2 cents worth to the city council.

MPHoldway
06-29-2011, 05:41 PM
Approved! YAY!

jdlingle
06-29-2011, 06:35 PM
All right! Bout time politicians got something right.

kbrewmr2
06-30-2011, 09:50 AM
Passed 5 - 2, so you Austin people better vote those 2 bums out of office next election cycle...

BlueFirePony
06-30-2011, 11:09 AM
I sent my 2 cents worth to the city council.

I sent a "loony" worth...seems fitting as it is politicians and I just got back from Canada ;)

Papa Kellam
06-30-2011, 12:34 PM
Did you go to the "loony bar"?

Papa Kellam
06-30-2011, 12:37 PM
Someone probably 'bought' them. Don't give them that much credit about getting it right. Even City Council members are in it for their best interest.