PDA

View Full Version : Aug 2011 TWS - What are we gonna do?

GlennCMC70
07-14-2011, 01:40 PM
I don't have a head count yet and I don't have a schedule. I've heard rumors that the track will be hot till 8pm Sat night, but I can't get that confirmed. Be prepaired for some deviations from the norm.

I figure we can do our normal Rudy's dinner Friday night around 7pm as always. I'm open for other ideas (and no Bryan, we don't want to go to Ozona's - j/k'ing).
Dave said he was going to get w/ the track snack shack and see if they will stay opem late Sat night and see if the main gate will stay open later as well. Not sure if we want to plan another dinner GTG Sat - schedule dependant.

I'll likely not be racing, so that should help car count.
Marshall will be absent from this event, so I'll be the Lone Ranger. Cut me some slack and please ask if you can help me w/ anything. I'm sure Al and Todd will lend a hand if needed.

Please please please start hydrating on Monday before the race weekend. You cannot wait until Sat morning to get fluids in your body. That just is not enough lead time. It is going to be stupid hot. Please come prepaired.

Check here often for updates over the next couple weeks.

AllZWay
07-14-2011, 03:41 PM
I plan to be there with a couple of fiiends coming along. I suspect the car count will down though because of the freaking heat.

Every year I seriously consider skipping this hotter than hell event.

Crumpacker
07-14-2011, 04:28 PM
I'll be there to help anyone that needs it, but I won't be driving.

Harman, my dog, was diagnosed with Osteosarcoma (bone cancer) in her lower jaw. It's very aggressive but tests (Monday) showed it had not yet metastasized. We opted for surgery (Tuesday) to remove the affected half of her mandible. Everything went well and her mouth looks amazingly normal... my racing budget is toast though.

Whoop for having one of the top vet schools in the nation within a few miles of my house!

ShadowBolt
07-14-2011, 04:30 PM
Have fun. I will be in Ouray, Colorado where the temps will be in the mid 40 in the AM and mid 70's in the afternoon. After blowing the engine last year at Hallett and missing my first race (TWS last August) I found I did not care to race in August anymore. I can skip it and not miss it at all. Hard on the car and really hard on an old man. You all watch out for Randy now okay.

JJ

marshall_mosty
07-14-2011, 05:22 PM
Marshall will be absent from this event, so I'll be the Lone Ranger.
I'll send pics from the Celine Dion concert... (kidding!!!)

BlueFirePony
07-14-2011, 06:23 PM
Whoop for having one of the top vet schools in the nation within a few miles of my house!
Hope things go well for your pal. My daughter is pre-vet currently and probably finish up her schooling at A&M - definately a good school.Anyway, I signed up already so I'll see the few of you there. Rudy's Friday night sounds good.

JasonLiiR
07-15-2011, 06:22 AM
I just got a new job working nights and am on call 7 days a week. As much as I would love to come play with you guys at my home track, unless I am off call that weekend and come somehow swing friday night off as well I will mostly likely be a no show all together. I dont see me getting off 6AM Saturday morning and trying to race with you guys that day a very safe thing from my perspective....of course I could always really on enery drinks, gatorade and adreneline but very doubtful. If the status changes I will let people know.

GlennCMC70
07-15-2011, 07:03 AM
I just got a new job working nights and am on call 7 days a week. As much as I would love to come play with you guys at my home track, unless I am off call that weekend and come somehow swing friday night off as well I will mostly likely be a no show all together. I dont see me getting off 6AM Saturday morning and trying to race with you guys that day a very safe thing from my perspective....of course I could always really on enery drinks, gatorade and adreneline but very doubtful. If the status changes I will let people know.

It has never stopped you before has it?

Suck's to have to grow up.

AllZWay
07-15-2011, 08:03 AM
It has never stopped you before has it?

Suck's to have to grow up.

So true... on both accounts. :D

Sorry to hear that Sam... We just had to put down our 16 year old lab on Wednesday. :(

Fbody383
07-15-2011, 12:07 PM
Sorry to hear that Sam... We just had to put down our 16 year old lab on Wednesday.Been a tough year on man's best friend.I'm planning to be there and hope to at least make 1 whole lap.

michaelmosty
07-15-2011, 12:21 PM
I'll be there. Got the "new" short block back from Richard Painter on Wednesday. David Donovan is coming to the rescue on short notice and will have my Canton oil pan here tomorrow for the motor install. (Precision oil pumps f'd me on shipping. Apparently it takes them 18 days to ship stuff.)
Tomorrow I'll build the motor and put in new blocker rings in the trans, then install everything Sunday and hopefully fire it up.

Big thanks to Richard and David for their amazing help as always!!!!

Rob Liebbe
07-15-2011, 12:52 PM
Looks like Michael is going to win by default if nobody else shows up.

NickV
07-15-2011, 01:48 PM
Looks like Michael is going to win by default if nobody else shows up.

http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=44763

7 already registered in CMC2.

I'm game for Rudy's Friday night !!

BryanL
07-15-2011, 02:12 PM
I don't have a head count yet and I don't have a schedule. I've heard rumors that the track will be hot till 8pm Sat night, but I can't get that confirmed. Be prepaired for some deviations from the norm.

I figure we can do our normal Rudy's dinner Friday night around 7pm as always. I'm open for other ideas (and no Bryan, we don't want to go to Ozona's - j/k'ing).
Dave said he was going to get w/ the track snack shack and see if they will stay opem late Sat night and see if the main gate will stay open later as well. Not sure if we want to plan another dinner GTG Sat - schedule dependant.

I'll likely not be racing, so that should help car count.
Marshall will be absent from this event, so I'll be the Lone Ranger. Cut me some slack and please ask if you can help me w/ anything. I'm sure Al and Todd will lend a hand if needed.

Please please please start hydrating on Monday before the race weekend. You cannot wait until Sat morning to get fluids in your body. That just is not enough lead time. It is going to be stupid hot. Please come prepaired.

Check here often for updates over the next couple weeks.

Best thing at Rudy's are the Blue Bell ice cream sandwiches. I would suggest Fuzzy's Taco's and make Glenn have a few of the habenero containers-they are great. I won't be there since there isn't a chance of rain.
But if Glenn isn't racing then that should only cut down on the body contact forms.

rleng1
07-15-2011, 05:08 PM
Since 'Orange is Fast' Francis is going to be there, and ya'll will be out there looking after the Old man, I'll patch up my damaged rear end and make it in the heat.
Just hope Darcie doesn't complain about my sagging rear end again.
Nic, glad you'll be there. It will definetly be on. Bring your brother Wade as well.

GlennCMC70
07-15-2011, 09:41 PM
Thinking about bring the black bitch out. I'll need some motivation though.

rleng1
07-16-2011, 11:20 AM
Bring it. You know that Micheal and James Edward are already licking their chops. You just need to bust 'em.

michaelmosty
07-30-2011, 02:11 PM
Does anybody have a place the girlfriend and I can crash for this event?
I have been so busy getting the motor back in (still hasn't fired up yet) that I forgot about sleeping arrangements. It doesn't help that it is going to be hot as balls!!!
Any help is greatly appreciated.

cobra132
07-30-2011, 06:28 PM
I have a hotel room and a trailer.......ah.......the trailer would be good for you. Movie? FMR

Fbody383
07-30-2011, 06:34 PM
Does anybody have a place the girlfriend and I can crash for this event? Two races in a row?

Man, I need a place to crash too.Maybe it won't be super-duper-stupid hot, just i-can't-believe-it's-this-hot-hot.

Oh well, it's racing. Still better than working.
</p> </p> </p>
And why did i have to put in all the "slash p's" to get a carriage return?</p></p>

michaelmosty
07-30-2011, 07:44 PM
I have a hotel room and a trailer.......ah.......the trailer would be good for you. Movie? FMR
Caddyshack...
We've got a pool and a pond....the pond would be good for you.

Mrs. Crumpacker
07-30-2011, 08:46 PM
90% chance the guest room with a real bed is taken, but the roommate is moving out tomorrow so that room will have air mattress space. We also have couches and air mattress space in the living room. So anyone is more than welcome to stay at hotel Crumpacker.

nasa-rm
07-31-2011, 05:08 AM
Does anybody have a place the girlfriend and I can crash for this event?
I have been so busy getting the motor back in (still hasn't fired up yet) that I forgot about sleeping arrangements. It doesn't help that it is going to be hot as balls!!!
Any help is greatly appreciated.

FYI from Eric Purcell...

I wanted to let you know that on-track lodging is now available at Texas World Speedway. TWS “Idle Inn” Trackside Lodging is now open. I currently have 5 fully-equipped travel trailers available for rental during track events. These travel trailers are located immediately adjacent to the paddock area on the north side (between the paddock and turns 13-14-15. See attached flyer. I will be adding more travel trailers in the future. Within the next few weeks, TWS will have this option included on their website and will provide online registration via ClubRegistration.net. In the meantime, interested parties can contact me directly.

For information or reservation, contact Eric Purcell at 713-201-9875 or epurcell4@comcast.net

The trailers are running between $250 and $300 for the weekend (Fri-Sun). For track side bed, A/C, fridge and running water that is a freaking steal.

cobra132
07-31-2011, 11:57 AM
Excellent, you've got that going for you......which is nice.

Rob Liebbe
07-31-2011, 02:11 PM
90% chance the guest room with a real bed is taken, but the roommate is moving out tomorrow so that room will have air mattress space. We also have couches and air mattress space in the living room. So anyone is more than welcome to stay at hotel Crumpacker.

Save me a space for Saturday night!!!!!!! I'll bring an air matress and maybe even something to wear when I pass out after drinking stupid heavy all night.

michaelmosty
07-31-2011, 03:39 PM
That sounds awesome Darcie!!!
We'll bring an air mattress and take any available space. We can bring the necessary items for Beer-ita's if you want.

Fbody383
08-01-2011, 10:55 AM
So anyone is more than welcome to stay at hotel Crumpacker.

Sounds like we moved the Saturday night party to the Crumpacker's.

I might be able to see the UFC fight after all.</p>
</p>

rleng1
08-01-2011, 02:28 PM
Is the Crumpacker's mailbox still up???

Crumpacker
08-01-2011, 03:37 PM
We'll bring an air mattress and take any available space. We can bring the necessary items for Beer-ita's if you want.

1 pitcher = 1 can of minute maid limeade mix, 4 'stones, 1/2-1 'minute maid can' of tequila

Sounds like we moved the Saturday night party to the Crumpacker's.

I might be able to see the UFC fight after all.</p>
</p>

I'm in.

Is the Crumpacker's mailbox still up???

For now... but with all the students moving back and the NASA racers coming in town, I may be collecting $ for mailbox #5.

michaelmosty
08-01-2011, 04:13 PM
Preliminary schedule from Nasaforums:
Preliminary

Saturday August 6th, 2011
Start ET*
8:00 AM Mandatory HPDE/TT Meeting in Classroom
8:00 AM 0:20 Blitz/Thunder Warm Up
8:20 AM 0:15 Cyclone/Lightning Warm Up
8:35 AM 0:20 Time Trials Warm Up & HPDE4
8:55 AM 0:25 Allison Legacy Warm Up & Qualifying
9:20 AM 0:10 Course Check / CO Break
9:30 AM 0:20 HPDE1/2/3 - Session #1
9:50 AM 0:15 Blitz Qualifying
10:05 AM 0:15 Thunder Qualifying
10:20 AM 0:20 Time Trials Session #1 & HPDE4
10:40 AM 0:10 Course Check / CO Break
10:50 AM 0:15 Cyclone/Lightning Qualifying
11:05 AM 0:25 Allison Legacy Race #1
11:30 AM 0:20 HPDE1/2/3 - Session #2
11:50 AM 0:45 Lunch
12:35 PM 0:35 Blitz Race #1
1:10 PM 0:25 Thunder Race #1
1:35 PM 0:20 Time Trials Session #2 & HPDE4
1:55 PM 0:10 Course Check / CO Break
2:05 PM 0:25 Cyclone/Lightning Race #1
2:30 PM 0:20 HPDE1/2/3 - Session #3
2:50 PM 0:20 Allison Legacy Race #2
3:10 PM 0:20 Thunder Race #2
3:30 PM 0:10 Course Check / CO Break
3:40 PM 0:20 Time Trials Session #3 & HPDE4
4:00 PM 0:25 Cyclone/Lightning Race #2
4:25 PM 0:20 HPDE1/2/3 - Session #3

5:00 PM NASA Saturday Evening Party (Fajitas and the Works)

Sunday August 7th, 2011
Start ET*
8:00 AM Mandatory HPDE1, 2 & 3 Meeting in Classroom
7:30 AM 0:15 Thunder Qualifying
7:45 AM 0:20 Blitz Qualifying
8:05 AM 0:15 Cyclone/Lightning Qualifying
8:20 AM 0:20 Time Trials Session #1 & HPDE4
8:40 AM 0:10 Course Check / CO Break
8:50 AM 0:15 Allison Legacy Qualifying
9:05 AM 0:20 HPDE1/2/3 - Session #1
9:25 AM 0:25 Thunder Race #3
9:50 AM 0:20 Time Trials Session #2 & HPDE4
10:10 AM 0:10 Course Check / CO Break
10:20 AM 0:35 Blitz Race #2
10:55 AM 0:25 Allison Legacy Race #3
11:20 AM 0:20 HPDE1/2/3 - Session #2
11:40 AM 0:45 Lunch
12:25 PM 0:25 Cyclone/Lightning Race #3
12:50 PM 0:20 Time Trials Session #3 & HPDE4
1:10 PM 0:20 Thunder Race #4
1:30 PM 0:20 HPDE1/2/3 - Session #3
1:50 PM 0:20 Allison Legacy Race #3
2:10 PM 0:10 Course Check / CO Break
2:20 PM 0:20 Time Trials Session #4 & HPDE4
2:40 PM 0:20 Cyclone/Lightning Race #4
3:00 PM 0:20 HPDE1/2/3 - Session #4

Holy crap, 7:30 Qual Sunday morning!!!! Hangover qualifying.

Crumpacker
08-01-2011, 05:45 PM
Sunday August 7th, 2011
7:30 AM 0:15 Thunder Qualifying

Miss qual for the extra 2hrs sleep and start R3 in the back or wake up for qual, puke in your helmet, and still start in the back..?

Easy choice.

GlennCMC70
08-01-2011, 06:00 PM

Yep, you can thank me. I have junk pads, caliper (trashed my "new" ones) and very old tires.
I need all the help I can get.

AllZWay
08-01-2011, 06:25 PM
Preliminary

I wished we could qual at 7:00..race at 7:30...then race again at 8:30.

Good gosh it is going to miserable this weekend.

JasonLiiR
08-01-2011, 07:35 PM
Im liking the late start on Saturday morning though. Maybe skip warmup for a nap.

HoustonNW
08-01-2011, 09:35 PM

Quoted for truth!

HoustonNW
08-01-2011, 11:34 PM
Quoted for truth!

Since the edit function doesn't seem to work, I want to correct my comment to...

Miss qual for the extra 2hrs sleep and start R3 in the back or wake up for qual, puke in your helmet, and still start in the back..?

Easy choice.

... This

S A TUR DAY night! (http://youtu.be/cRLrZ66bwPQ)

Papa Kellam
08-02-2011, 09:22 AM
Yep, you can thank me. I have junk pads, caliper (trashed my "new" ones) and very old tires.
I need all the help I can get.

Glen,

This comment cocerns me and should concern a lot of other folks.
I'll try to make this short.

Scenario #1: You are telling everyone that you are knowingly going to race on "junk pads, caliper, and very old tires". I think if this is true you are putting your safety and everyone else on the track in DANGER.

Scenario #2: You are playing head games or making excuses for the possibility of not winning.

My guess is that you just made a stupid statement. Maybe I take things too serious. Racing is serious.
I suggest you clarify your statement. What ever your reply is "you lose".

Have a nice day

GlennCMC70
08-02-2011, 09:45 AM
Glen,

This comment cocerns me and should concern a lot of other folks.
I'll try to make this short.

Scenario #1: You are telling everyone that you are knowingly going to race on "junk pads, caliper, and very old tires". I think if this is true you are putting your safety and everyone else on the track in DANGER.

Scenario #2: You are playing head games or making excuses for the possibility of not winning.

My guess is that you just made a stupid statement. Maybe I take things too serious. Racing is serious.
I suggest you clarify your statement. What ever your reply is "you lose".

Have a nice day

One man's junk is another man's gold.

I'm on 255 tires, 12" rortos, 2 piston calipers. I'm already driving w/ one arm behind my back.
Racing on tires I moved to back-ups for the back-ups is what I mean about "junk" tires.
I had to cull through my cast-of pad box to find some rears that would get me through the weekend.

You take what you want from my comments. I wasn't making excuses, I was making a joke about the start time. I beat folks who were on junk and I'll get beat when I'm on junk. It is the circle of life. I don't think many folks in our group take racing more serious than me. In fact, I have been told it is a flaw I have (one of many). Feel free to look my car over and inform the Race Director if you feel my car is unsafe.

....... or all these comments I've made could be just more mind games. Where is Eric Varner when I need a coach?

michaelmosty
08-02-2011, 11:05 AM
Ahh, the good ole Varner mind games, priceless!!!

Good news is College Station is going to be much cooler than Dallas, 103 vs. 106.

Papa Kellam
08-02-2011, 12:47 PM
One man's junk is another man's gold.

I'm on 255 tires, 12" rortos, 2 piston calipers. I'm already driving w/ one arm behind my back.
Racing on tires I moved to back-ups for the back-ups is what I mean about "junk" tires.
I had to cull through my cast-of pad box to find some rears that would get me through the weekend.

You take what you want from my comments. I wasn't making excuses, I was making a joke about the start time. I beat folks who were on junk and I'll get beat when I'm on junk. It is the circle of life. I don't think many folks in our group take racing more serious than me. In fact, I have been told it is a flaw I have (one of many). Feel free to look my car over and inform the Race Director if you feel my car is unsafe.

....... or all these comments I've made could be just more mind games. Where is Eric Varner when I need a coach?

Figured I would get a BS answer. Not to worry, I won't be there. Good luck with your "hooptie".

AllZWay
08-02-2011, 01:46 PM
Good news is College Station is going to be much cooler than Dallas, 103 vs. 106.

Whoo hoo... Cold wave. :D

Fbody383
08-02-2011, 02:00 PM
Anyone found "disabling" their car to avoid the heat should get a significant points penalty.

I'm on 255s, 2-piston, crap tires, junk pads, AND have no talent.

AND have to pit next to Glenn.</p></p>Sam, where are we going to watch fights?</p></p></p></p>

cobra132
08-02-2011, 06:35 PM
Decision time. My engine repair was not successful. I replaced all 8 sleeve o-rings but sadly found a small crack in the block between 2 sleeve seats. I tried sealing everything up but it is still slowly leaking water into the crankcase. The engine is running fine for now and truthfully I believe it was doing this the entire Hallett weekend. Bottom line, this block is toast and my spare (now primary) motor is not ready. Note to self: Never wet sleeve a 4.6, there simply is not enough material between the sleeve seats, at least for the big bore sleeves. So, I can:
1. Stay home, get depressed and drink. 2. Fill the cooling system with oil and see what happens. Might be messy and is illegal. 3. Convert the cooling system to zero pressure and see if the leak stops and the engine temp is OK. 4. Try number 3 and if that does not work run it till it stops. What to do??? FMR

Rob Liebbe
08-02-2011, 08:19 PM
Decision time. My engine repair was not successful. I replaced all 8 sleeve o-rings but sadly found a small crack in the block between 2 sleeve seats. I tried sealing everything up but it is still slowly leaking water into the crankcase. The engine is running fine for now and truthfully I believe it was doing this the entire Hallett weekend. Bottom line, this block is toast and my spare (now primary) motor is not ready. Note to self: Never wet sleeve a 4.6, there simply is not enough material between the sleeve seats, at least for the big bore sleeves. So, I can:
1. Stay home, get depressed and drink. 2. Fill the cooling system with oil and see what happens. Might be messy and is illegal. 3. Convert the cooling system to zero pressure and see if the leak stops and the engine temp is OK. 4. Try number 3 and if that does not work run it till it stops. What to do??? FMR

Do like me - show up Saturday afternoon with no car, hang out and drink heavily Saturday night, have a hell of a good time, leave early Sunday morning.

BlueFirePony
08-02-2011, 10:54 PM
Rob's suggestion sure beats #1 IMO.

JasonLiiR
08-03-2011, 12:09 AM
Run it till it blows....or what rob is doing.

edrock96GT
08-03-2011, 08:04 AM
got rear ended on the way to work this morning by an F150 with a brush guard.

Frank, I vote #3. If it craps out you can at least hang out with us! :D

AllZWay
08-03-2011, 09:33 AM
got rear ended on the way to work this morning by an F150 with a brush guard.

Frank, I vote #3. If it craps out you can at least hang out with us! :D

Frank... I vote #3.... It is isn't my motor. :D

Eddie... Sorry to see you pretty car get roughed up. That F150 wanted to mate with a Mustang.

marshall_mosty
08-03-2011, 11:59 AM
I vote #3. Run it like you stole it.

GlennCMC70
08-03-2011, 12:00 PM

Marshall - did you send in an AI tech sheet?

Fbody383
08-03-2011, 01:46 PM

+1; you gotta come hang out and tell stories.

Crumpacker
08-03-2011, 03:03 PM
Sam, where are we going to watch fights?

If a few people chip in, I'll order it. Otherwise, Buffalo Wild Wings usually shows the fights... it can get crowded in there though.

marshall_mosty
08-03-2011, 07:11 PM
No, everyone was emailing to you and you were going to take care of it... right?

marshall_mosty
08-03-2011, 07:13 PM
No, everyone was emailing to you and you were going to take care of it... right?

I will work on it tomorrow at work... Had some familily stuff pop up today and have been pretty busy.

GlennCMC70
08-03-2011, 09:55 PM

I will work on it tomorrow at work... Had some familily stuff pop up today and have been pretty busy.

Your right. I've been on vacation all week, and I need to go back to work so I can get some rest.

GlennCMC70
08-03-2011, 09:56 PM
Your right. I've been on vacation all week, and I need to go back to work so I can get some rest.

Oh, and if you could put something togeter, it would be great.
Sorry.

Fbody383
08-04-2011, 11:58 AM
If a few people chip in, I'll order it. Otherwise, Buffalo Wild Wings usually shows the fights... it can get crowded in there though.

I'm in; hotel/motel/AC/floor and a UFC fight... that's value.

michaelmosty
08-04-2011, 12:15 PM
I'm in; hotel/motel/AC/floor and a UFC fight... that's value.
You forgot the 3:00 AM wake up from the drunk nailing the mailbox!!

Rob Liebbe
08-04-2011, 12:32 PM

That'd be like whacking a hornet's nest with a stick.

Crumpacker
08-04-2011, 01:38 PM

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb307/hiofcrcobra/mailboxversion20040004.jpg

BryanL
08-04-2011, 04:16 PM

So is mailbox the new slang instead of a hoodrat chick? (Cash Money)

edrock96GT
08-04-2011, 04:31 PM
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb307/hiofcrcobra/mailboxversion20040004.jpg

Wow. Two mailboxes at once.

I think you get extra bonus money on Grand Theft Auto for doing that...

Fbody383
08-04-2011, 09:00 PM
Pissed. Broke. Out. Car has one gear... all the time and I have no idea which one it is. Planning to come out for most of Saturday, just have to see if there's been an adjustment to my kitchen pass. Go easy on 'em Ole English.

Alien
08-05-2011, 06:33 AM
Are those directions for Rob? Is the #1 his car?

Sucks to hear that Dave. They're dropping like flies.

Don't forget, Rudy's at 7p tonight.

Rob Liebbe
08-05-2011, 08:05 AM
Are those directions for Rob? Is the #1 his car?

Sucks to hear that Dave. They're dropping like flies.

Don't forget, Rudy's at 7p tonight.

Kinda like turn 1 at No Problem Raceway. Whay would you put a mailbox at the apex anyway?