PDA

View Full Version : Live Timing from TWS

nasa-rm
08-05-2011, 04:33 PM
Will find it's own home eventually, but I figured you guys can help me test it out.

http://www.nasarockymountain.com/sub.php?p=results

jeffburch
08-07-2011, 08:20 AM
When it worked, it worked great. Very cool.
As cars pass the timing line they flash and update.
The order, last lap and fast lap are shown but no interval.
I sat on it all day, as I was sitting on my ass in the a/c all day.
Most of the time is said "No race currently" or "loading race"
I estimate it showed 25% of the days activity.

jb

kbrewmr2
08-08-2011, 08:45 AM
would be cool if it didn't require flash so those of us with good smart phones could use it trackside ;)

rpoz27
08-08-2011, 03:31 PM
David Donovan was watching it on his iPhone.... pretty sure he still has an iPhone...

Crumpacker
08-08-2011, 04:08 PM
David Donovan was watching it on his iPhone.... pretty sure he still has an iPhone...

AMB has an app for that, I just heard about it yesterday. It's called 'Race Monitor'. From what I can tell, you have to be at the track and logged onto the same network as the timing equipment.

donovan
08-08-2011, 06:01 PM
Yup, iPhone app 'Race Monitor' $5

Works great, and shows the diff time JB wanted.

I used it all day and seemed to be up and running on 3G fine, no delay, and updated INSTANTLY! As the cars crossed the line no delay at all!!! Everytime I checked it was working great.

I was able to get the 0.140 diff Win Glenn got over MM instantly, as some people could not tell who crossed the line first!! Very cool!

I was late to the track Saturday and watched race 1 while driving thru college station!

GlennCMC70
08-08-2011, 09:51 PM

Works great, and shows the diff time JB wanted.

I used it all day and seemed to be up and running on 3G fine, no delay, and updated INSTANTLY! As the cars crossed the line no delay at all!!! Everytime I checked it was working great.

I was able to get the 0.140 diff Win Glenn got over MM instantly, as some people could not tell who crossed the line first!! Very cool!

I was late to the track Saturday and watched race 1 while driving thru college station!

From what I have been told, the RM guys have gone paperless thanks to this technology. Look for this to be the norm for AI/CMC as soon as possible.

kbrewmr2
08-09-2011, 08:36 AM
you mean I've gotta pay real acutal money for an app? Lame... (grumble grumble will probably do that by the next race)

BryanL
08-09-2011, 09:08 AM
I checked it on my Dad's computer and it wasn't working that often. My screen didn't show as much as JB though. I only saw the top 12 cars, and last lap time. I like where this is headed though.

So does the Race Monitor app only work when at the track or wherever you are? Since DD watched the race in CS I'm guessing it works anywhere. This would actually make me figure out how to download my first app.

Crumpacker
08-09-2011, 11:57 AM
So does the Race Monitor app only work when at the track or wherever you are? Since DD watched the race in CS I'm guessing it works anywhere.

Good question, I thought you had to be at the track, but maybe not.

DD?

Tobey
08-09-2011, 04:23 PM
ChumpCar uses this app also. It's pretty handy during an 18-hour race to have live scoring. And no, you don't have to be at the track. I accidentally pulled up the ChumpCar race in Spokane several times, instead of TWS. I was using the Droid version of the app; it looked exactly the same as my buddy's Iphone.

jeffburch
08-10-2011, 07:08 AM
For Android OS the AP is called "Mylaps Buddy"
It's $10 :((

jb

BryanL
08-10-2011, 09:22 AM

jb

Yeah there is a reason why Apple has the highest market cap of any company.

nasa-rm
08-10-2011, 01:26 PM
Quick answers....

Downtime: Heh. ID10T error. I noticed that occasionally the live feed would go down on my phone. So I'd hop over to my laptop that was streaming up to the race monitor site and it all looked good. Then my phone would be ok. Sometime Sunday AM (when I was back to reality), I discovered that my laptop screen wasn't just going to sleep, but the whole damn laptop was going to sleep. When it's sleeping, it obviously doesn't upload s&*t. Duh. Each time I woke it up to see if it was working, it of course started uploading the feed. Once I made it not sleep it was all good.

Changing fields: Unfortunately, it's not NASA's software. Some other company that collects your $4.99 if you do the on phone application. They control what is there and how it works. Since they make the $$ on the phone feed, that is the one that gets attention. I will however ask them to try to include some of that stuff on the "free" feed. That is the one that shows on the nasarockymountain forum.

Speaking of ownership of the software, this is NOT an AMB product. Plus and minus behind that. Plus, they can make quick changes and I have a direct line into the developers. Minus, if AMB decides they want to take over they might buy out the company?

There are many ways to see the feed.... as we work the infrastructure the options will increase. Some of it is very track dependent. For example, tracks such as Hallett that are easy to jump on their wireless and send the feed out that way are awesome. At TWS, the T&S tower is too far from the paddock wireless, so no go and we mainly concentrate on having a solid connection between driver info and T&S to be able to make changes and print results without having to drive up and down the damn hill :).

1. You can put the racemonitor application on your Iphone, android, tablet, etc. From there you can use your own 3G connection to view a variety of events all over the world. Most NASA regions have streams going on any weekend. So you could in theory watch AI/CMC races from SoCal, NorCal, SE, NE, CR, Midwest, etc Or, you could watch circle track from Ethiopia if they happened to be pushing the feed.

2. You can put the racemonitor application on your Iphone, android, tablet, etc. From there you can connect to the local feed. This could be the NASA T&S system when we are broadcasting or even the track's wireless if it's easy for us to use that. You can ONLY view what's going on at the track. With this, you can sort by time or by position and by class.

3. You can jump on the nasarockymountain (and soon texas site) live results page. This is free :) . But then again, the information is very limited.

4. You can also ask NASA RM/TX for a free copy of DScore and attach to the wireless as in option #2. Dscore works on a laptop (or PC of course) and provides all kinds of info such as gap, lap deltas, driver highlighting, make/model, class, etc. You can filter by class or sort by class. This is the best option for endurance races as you have fine detail as to what is going on. I like this one, but then again I wrote it and have control over how it works.

We try to print out a sheet to have at driver info with that weekends valid options.

Tobey
08-10-2011, 04:20 PM

jb

Race Monitor is $4.99 for the Android. Mylaps Buddy is probably an AMB application, which is why it's twice as expensive as the alternative...