PDA

View Full Version : Shop to rebuild rear axle in Houston?

HoustonNW
10-25-2011, 09:14 PM
The car sounded like it had straight cut gears as I came down the hill in first after the last race on Sunday. The noise went away in neutral, but I suspect it is the rear gears. The car has always had a slight pinion leak and I've never checked the fluid level.

Unless someone can convince me otherwise, rebuilding the rear end is not something I think that I can handle. Do you know a good shop in the Houston area?

NickV
10-26-2011, 08:18 AM
Car makes gear noise in motion, while in gear. Put trans in neutral, car still in motion, rear gears still in motion, noise goes away. Why do you suspect the rear gears?

Alien
10-26-2011, 12:06 PM
Before taking it to any shop, if you really do think it's the rear end, pop the cover off and take a look for yourself. If the oil is full of metal... well then take it somewhere. Best case, no metal, it's probably time to change the fluid anyways!

HoustonNW
10-27-2011, 12:50 PM
Car makes gear noise in motion, while in gear. Put trans in neutral, car still in motion, rear gears still in motion, noise goes away. Why do you suspect the rear gears?

Since it is downhill to where we pit at ECR it seemed that the gears were loaded in 1st and more freewheeling in neutral. I guess it could be the tranny also for the same reason.

I should have tried different gears - doh!

Before taking it to any shop, if you really do think it's the rear end, pop the cover off and take a look for yourself. If the oil is full of metal... well then take it somewhere. Best case, no metal, it's probably time to change the fluid anyways!

Good suggestion, I was planning to change all of the fluids this winter anyway.

Even though I have the Chevy service manual for the car, I might be posting again if/when I get stuck trying to drain the power steering.