PDA

View Full Version : Floor Jack

jdlingle
12-11-2011, 11:13 PM
What brand of floor jack do you guys use? Now that I finally have the front of my car lowered down to race car height I cant get my old Harbor Freight "racing" jack to the subframe connectors to jack. It will go to the pinch welds on the body but thats it. Ive always been kind of leary of using those.

Casey_SS
12-11-2011, 11:32 PM
I have the small HF "racing" jack - the $89 one, or at least that's what it was a couple years ago when I bought it. The saddle is a little over 3" off the ground - should fit under any AI/CMC car. I can't say I really like this jack but it gets the job done at the right price. Higher quality jacks are less annoying to use but exponentially more expensive.

David Love AI27
12-11-2011, 11:39 PM
park next to Casey and borrow his.... LOL

marshall_mosty
12-12-2011, 07:08 AM
I have the fancy Craftsman aluminum jack. I got it last year on black Friday. Think I paid $225 for it. It's works as intended and it light enough to "throw around".

David Love AI27
12-12-2011, 07:49 AM
I have the fancy Craftsman aluminum jack. I got it last year on black Friday. Think I paid $225 for it. It's works as intended and it light enough to "throw around".

Update my post... park between Casey and Marshall.... then you have a jack on each side...

michaelmosty
12-12-2011, 11:53 AM
My $89 Harbor Freight jack died last year after 4 years of service. I park next to Marshall but you can park on the other side. ;^)

ShadowBolt
12-12-2011, 12:02 PM
I have the same jack as Marshall and for the money (when you find it on sale) it is a great piece. I found it for $169.00 four years ago. I think about half the guys use this same Craftsman jack. I know Dr. Frank has one.

JJ

Al Fernandez
12-12-2011, 12:11 PM
I have one of these at home. It weighs a ton so I wouldnt lug it to the track, but it'll lift the truck and it'll lift race cars higher than the little aluminum jacks.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200345429_200345429

Crumpacker
12-12-2011, 12:25 PM
I have the same jack as Marshall and for the money (when you find it on sale) it is a great piece. I found it for $169.00 four years ago. I think about half the guys use this same Craftsman jack. I know Dr. Frank has one.

JJ

I have that jack too. I love how light it is, but this is my 2nd one and just recently it started having the same issue my first one had - it slowly lowers down after being jacked up fairly high (above 75% or so). *anyone have a fix for this?? Each one lasted about 2yrs. I'll likely buy the $90 harbor freight next. Believe it or not, they have better reviews than the Craftsman ones.

That being said, Craftsman actually warrantied my first one (even outside of it's 1yr warranty) but warned me it was a 1-time deal. They told me that, as a racer, I use it more than the typical buyer so I fall under 'commercial use' and have zero warranty to begin with.

GlennCMC70
12-12-2011, 01:46 PM
Any hydraulic shop can rebuild the ram.

BryanL
12-12-2011, 04:27 PM
Had on of the Torin models I believe from PepBoys that I think is like the lightweight one you get from Harbor or Northern. Seemed to struggle some with the weight and died an early death. Stepped up to the Craftsman aluminum and it didn't last much more than a year either. I have wondered how long the high end 1 pump jacks like in Nascar would last. Have seen some for around $450. As much as its used and if it only takes one pump then its worth considering.
In the garage I have a heavy iron jack similar to what Al posted. But it won't get under the vette so I just use some ramps to drive on first and then jack it up. So you definitely need one that is pretty low profile.

ShadowBolt
12-12-2011, 07:51 PM
I have that jack too. I love how light it is, but this is my 2nd one and just recently it started having the same issue my first one had - it slowly lowers down after being jacked up fairly high (above 75% or so). *anyone have a fix for this?? Each one lasted about 2yrs. I'll likely buy the $90 harbor freight next. Believe it or not, they have better reviews than the Craftsman ones.

That being said, Craftsman actually warrantied my first one (even outside of it's 1yr warranty) but warned me it was a 1-time deal. They told me that, as a racer, I use it more than the typical buyer so I fall under 'commercial use' and have zero warranty to begin with.

Mine is four years old and other than leaking when I throw it in the trunk sometimes it has never given me an issue.

JJ

TJ Bain
12-12-2011, 09:23 PM
My favorite for a track jack is this: http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/floor-jacks/rapid-pump-2-ton-lightweight-aluminum-racing-jack-68051.html

You have to be weary using it every day though as you can strip the threads out of the pump body by overtightening the handle. I did it once, but I use it more then most people. Low saddle height.

My new favorite garage jack is a AL frame, cast iron pump body 5000lb jack from Autozone. It's light enough to even take to the track, but being cast iron hydraulics, it ought to last better then the AL. I got it for $130 regular price, but I don't see it on the website. I think it was Duralast brand. Also, low saddle height.

I'm on my 5th and 6th AL jacks since '05 and I've used most and these are my favs.

HoustonNW
12-13-2011, 06:39 PM
There is a long thread on C-C about floor jacks. It seems that the secret is to change out the "kerosene" that the Chinese use for hydraulic fluid and replace it with auto trans fluid.

I've had my H-F jack for 6 months and haven't done it yet but it is now on my off season to-do list.

roadracerwhite
12-14-2011, 09:05 AM
I have been using the matco "the beast"

http://www.matcotools.com/catalog/product/MFJ354P/35-TON-FLOOR-JACK/

It works great, a little haevy at 105 lbs though.