PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum Wheel Repair-Truck Wheel

BryanL
12-20-2011, 05:26 PM
I found a set of wheels for my Suburban I want to buy. Seller told me the wheel was repaired by Wheels America 6 months ago, their weld leaked air that they repaired, now its leaking again and Wheels America says they can't fix it. Apparently its a hairline crack on the inside of the lip that can barely be seen but still leaks air.
Any thoughts on suggestions if another shop could fix this? I just think that JB Weld on the inside of the wheel would take care of this and fill the crack? I would put this tire on the front and just run it around 55 psi.

Hood
12-20-2011, 10:37 PM
JB Weld (Jeff Burch??) should help seal it. Slightly overfill where the crack is and sand smooth. After smoothing, apply a thin layer of RTV (clear should work fine) over the repair. Fixed two leaks this way, on street wheels, of course...

BryanL
12-22-2011, 02:35 PM
Thanks Hood. Haven't done the RTV trick. I'm going to look at the wheels tomorrow and think I will take a chance on them as it shouldn't be that much more than the wheels scrap value. I figure a forged 18 x 9 is worth $30 in scrap each. Or I get stuck with 3 good wheels that are discontinued.

BryanL
12-23-2011, 09:49 AM
Bo Liebbe had a good suggestion about running an inner tube on that wheel.

What kind of safety issue should I think about with a hairline crack in a wheel-Ginsberg's broken wheel comes to mind right now.

AllZWay
12-23-2011, 10:03 AM
Can it not be welded again?

I had a bellhousing with cracks welded back and it never had a problem.

BryanL
12-23-2011, 11:42 AM
Only know that Wheels America said it couldn't be welded again. If a bellhousing breaks you don't end up in a ditch towing a 10k lb trailer.

philstireservice
12-24-2011, 10:28 AM
A small crack in any wheel is soooo very dangerous. I would trash it and look for another with no cracks. Not worth the possible disaster it could cause.