PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Air Deflector Rule

RichardP
12-27-2011, 05:27 PM
Section 7.5.4 in the new rules was cleared up considerably with the exception of one small statement, specifically:
“must be centered at the same front/back location as the OEM deflector +/- 1””

Dan’s car doesn’t have the stock air deflector and hasn’t since he has owned it. Where is the stock air deflector mounted? More specifically, from where to where are the tech officials going to measure to reliably determine the legality of the air deflector? I’m specifically concerned with the 4th gen Camaro but it is a valid question for all platforms.

Additionally, the rule is concerned with the position of the air deflector and not specifically the air deflector mount. These dimensions are both the same if we assume the air deflectors are exactly vertical. What if it isn’t? Or what if the stock air deflector isn’t vertical? Obviously it can’t be horizontal, like a splitter. How much angle is tolerable? Does the entire deflector have to be inside an envelope +/- 1” from the stock deflector?

The deflector on Dan’s car is a semi-rigid plastic backed up with metal angle brackets. The actual angle of the deflector is pretty dependent on what direction the car was traveling when the deflector last contacted something. It bends backwards when he goes off track forward. It bends forward when he pulls it out of the trailer (or goes off track backwards).

Thanks,
Richard P.

GlennCMC70
12-27-2011, 07:00 PM
The forward facing part of the lower radiator suport has 5 or so threaded holes in it. The OEM deflector mounts there.

mitchntx
12-27-2011, 07:09 PM
I'm already developing a cable and pulley system whereby when I mash the brake pedal, maximum downforce is applied and when I'm off the pedal, it retracts for less wind resistance.

Rob Liebbe
12-27-2011, 08:53 PM
I'm already developing a cable and pulley system whereby when I mash the brake pedal, maximum downforce is applied and when I'm off the pedal, it retracts for less wind resistance.

Would that be for your CTS or your F250 cause it doesn't seem likke your Firebird will get any use this year.

RichardP
12-27-2011, 08:59 PM
The forward facing part of the lower radiator suport has 5 or so threaded holes in it. The OEM deflector mounts there.

OK, how does that help? What does it look like? Does the deflector hang down in front of or behind those holes and by how much? Not a lot of room to play with here.

How strong is that area? In my Mustang, the lower radiator support is bent from many impacts. Not enough to affect function but probably enough to alter a +/- 1" measurement...

Richard P.

David Love AI27
12-27-2011, 11:02 PM
Obviously it can’t be horizontal, like a splitter. How much angle is tolerable? Does the entire deflector have to be inside an envelope +/- 1” from the stock deflector?

Theres that "s" word again...

y5e06
12-28-2011, 09:29 AM
https://pontiworld.com.au/usgmsp/images/deflector9302.jpg
http://www.umiperformance.com/ebay/images/2320ao_LRG.jpg
http://www.umiperformance.com/ebay/images/2320am_LRG.jpg

Alien
12-28-2011, 10:06 AM
I'm going out on a limb here and going to say the FACE of the deflector is all that really matters as far as foward/back location. If it was the mounting point, you'll have someone using the OEM mounting location and coming up with some contraption where the face just happens to line up vertically with the front bumper. I bet the point where it meets the body must be within that 1" of OEM. Maybe it needs to be opened up a bit more to allow +/- 3" to make mounting easier. Angle appears to be open.

Not quite sure what to make of the 'bent from impacts' question. If you had an OEM one on there, then bent the support, I HIGHLY doubt the intent is to DQ you since it's no longer in the exact coordinates as it came from the factory. It's still in the same relative place as it came from the factory, isn't it? Custom deflector would be no different.

michaelmosty
12-28-2011, 12:58 PM
My interpretation is that the piece should be completely vertical (+/- a tolerance %). Any angle forward would not be legal.

RichardP
12-28-2011, 01:12 PM
My interpretation is that the piece should be completely vertical (+/- a tolerance %). Any angle forward would not be legal.

OK, what tolerance? The (I assume) factory one pictured above appears to have a forward angle. Is the factory one not legal?

I don't care what the answer is. I just want the details spelled out so everyone is on the same page. I was _sure_ I knew what the rule meant last year when I showed up to the first race in Houston. That didn't work out so well...

Richard P.

AllZWay
12-28-2011, 02:34 PM
Maybe the rule should be changed to only allow a factory piece so no interpretation is needed. I would have to buy a new one, but to stop people from trying to read too much into the rules I would do it.

RichardP
12-28-2011, 02:37 PM
Maybe the rule should be changed to only allow a factory piece so no interpretation is needed. I would have to buy a new one, but to stop people from trying to read too much into the rules I would do it.

I like the simplicity of that but the air dam does have a significant effect on engine cooling. Overheating race cars are no fun...

Richard P.

Fbody383
12-28-2011, 03:56 PM
My interpretation is that the piece should be completely vertical (+/- a tolerance %). Any angle forward would not be legal. I've never had the interpretation that it could not be angled; the wording from a couple years ago allowed for a non-horizontal, i.e. parallel to the ground, deflector to my reading.

Radiator air deflectors shall be no more than a total of 6 inches wider than the radiator itself and no lower than 2 inches measured vertically from the ground.328may be removed, modified, or substituted according to the diagram below and must be centered at the same front/back location as the OEM deflector +/- 1":329

Would the rule be better if it said "...attached in the same method/manner and front/back location as the OEM deflector +/- 1?"

There is already an effective size limitation given the ground clearance minimum and without out additional supports and/or mounting points, it would require significant material in weight to be very big.

GlennCMC70
12-28-2011, 07:38 PM
Richard - the OEM one will cool the motor just fine. Since the car is making less than OEM power, I can't see how there would be an issue.
The OEM one is legal as installed from the factory. If you modify it to angle more forward, I would have to ask why.
If you install a non-OEM one, I would guess the face of it would be subject to the "OEM location +/- 1 inch". I would also assume it should not be angled at all.
Your allowed to extend the OEM one left to right and down.

To me the rule is pretty clear......

RichardP
12-28-2011, 08:17 PM
Richard - the OEM one will cool the motor just fine...

The OEM Ford one didn't cool my stock CMC1 legal motor very well at all...

To me the rule is pretty clear......

Really??? We have a few technically competent people voicing their opinions in this thread and coming up with different conclusions on what is legal. Your own explanation that I’m replying to is loaded with guesses and assumptions… that contradict themselves!

You seemed to think last year's rule was pretty clear also when we were in Houston last year but your interpretation didn't match Al's. Do you remember that? It was unpleasant.

Richard P.

AllZWay
12-28-2011, 08:26 PM
An OEM Camaro one will cool just fine. In fact, one season this stupid rule had me cut the factory one off by an inch and it still cooled fine.

I am really tired of this yearly changed rule.

rleng1
12-28-2011, 09:39 PM
WHat if I attached a horizontal piece to the OEM deflector, so that when I'm running 100 mph, the deflector will angle downward to get within 1/2" of the track and create such downforce that I canstay on track at TWS T1.
Just sayin'.

Fbody383
12-29-2011, 11:54 AM
To me the rule is pretty clear............

Really??? We have a few technically competent people voicing their opinions in this thread and coming up with different conclusions on what is legal.I agree with Richard; how do you require that it be like OEM when we have "modified" in the rule itself?

Richard, like James I run cool enough with a new OEM piece.

Rob Liebbe
12-29-2011, 04:33 PM
I agree with Richard in that the factory Mustang piece does not provide enough cooling assistance. Additionally, the factory piece was never intended to operate in CMC racing conditions even at near factory uotput levels.

cobra132
12-31-2011, 12:16 PM
AI is the answer.

David Love AI27
12-31-2011, 03:26 PM
AI is the answer.

or AIX...

GlennCMC70
12-31-2011, 05:07 PM
I agree with Richard in that the factory Mustang piece does not provide enough cooling assistance. Additionally, the factory piece was never intended to operate in CMC racing conditions even at near factory uotput levels.

Thus the reason they were allowed to be extended lower and wider.
And why boxing of the radiator was allowed all along and finally written into the rules for 2012.

MountainRider2
01-02-2012, 11:05 PM
What is the deal with the red tubular k-frame and A-arms? Are these legal?

GlennCMC70
01-02-2012, 11:34 PM
What is the deal with the red tubular k-frame and A-arms? Are these legal?

Those were not pic's of CMC cars, but rather some random pics found of the radiator air deflector found on a 4th gen f-body.

Al Fernandez
01-03-2012, 10:51 AM
Ok, I can see both sides. It'd be nice to have a number, or an angle, or something that can be measured instead of requiring a director's opinion. Its not a simple question since many of these cars had an OE piece (some didnt). The point here is to not try to build an under the body pan I guess, but some forward angle has to exist because it did on the OE pieces (at least when new). We'll work on it.