PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Laws - and corresponding tickets

AllZWay
01-30-2012, 06:34 PM
I got caught speeding on the way to Houston on Friday. I was ticketed for 70 in a 60. One of those speed traps where the speed drops for no reason and I had the cruise on.

However, I also received two trailer violation tickets, so guys beware what some popo are looking for.

1. No brake away device to lock the trailer wheels in the event it came disconnected from the truck. I was not aware I had to have one, but the law states that if the gross weight of the trailer and cargo is over 4500lbs, you must have this device.
I talked with alot of folks and looked at their trailers and probably only 50% had this device.

2. No yearly trailer inspection. I had no idea of this law and actually never heard of such. Below is what the inspection covers. I didn't talk to anyone that was aware or had this inspection sticker.

05.06 Inspect All Trailers, Semitrailers, Pole Trailers, or Mobile Homes Exceeding 4,500 Pounds Actual Gross Weight or Registered Weight For: (Listed in suggested order of inspection) Refer to Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations, if required.
* Check for evidence of Financial Responsibility on towing vehicle

1. Brakes (system) (If gross weight exceeds 4,500 pounds)
2. Tires
3. Wheel Assembly
4. Safety Guards or Flaps (if four tires or more on rearmost axle) Pole trailers exempt.
5. Tail Lamps (2)
6. Stop Lamps (2)
7. License Plate Lamp (1)
8. Rear Red Reflectors (2)
9. Turn Signal Lamps
10. Clearance Lamps
11. Side Marker Lamps
12. Side Reflectors
13. Side Marker Lamps and Reflectors (30 feet or more in overall length)
(Refer to Reference Section as per lighting diagrams and as applicable to the particular trailer being inspected.)
14. Serial or Vehicle Identification Number

I was also threatened a ticket for not having commercial plates. Since the car has number, we must be making money was his statement. He first told me to take it up with the judge, but chose not to fine me.

So folks... be aware.....If you do a little searching...apparently the states and local governments are needing more revenue and this is their new revenue stream.

Crumpacker
01-30-2012, 06:45 PM
Brutal... and thank for the heads up JP.

Sounded like that Fuzz was a primo A-Hole. Most cops are pretty cool when you get chatting with them, a few are just out to get you though. I have a story of getting stopped for 71 in a 70 coming back from Garner one time - pulled out of the car and interrogated roadside too. I'll tell that over some Keystone someday.

Mrs. Crumpacker
01-30-2012, 06:49 PM
I got caught speeding on the way to Houston on Friday. I was ticketed for 70 in a 60. One of those speed traps where the speed drops for no reason and I had the cruise on.

However, I also received two trailer violation tickets, so guys beware what some popo are looking for.

1. No brake away device to lock the trailer wheels in the event it came disconnected from the truck. I was not aware I had to have one, but the law states that if the gross weight of the trailer and cargo is over 4500lbs, you must have this device.
I talked with alot of folks and looked at their trailers and probably only 50% had this device.

2. No yearly trailer inspection. I had no idea of this law and actually never heard of such. Below is what the inspection covers. I didn't talk to anyone that was aware or had this inspection sticker.

05.06 Inspect All Trailers, Semitrailers, Pole Trailers, or Mobile Homes Exceeding 4,500 Pounds Actual Gross Weight or Registered Weight For: (Listed in suggested order of inspection) Refer to Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations, if required.
* Check for evidence of Financial Responsibility on towing vehicle

1. Brakes (system) (If gross weight exceeds 4,500 pounds)
2. Tires
3. Wheel Assembly
4. Safety Guards or Flaps (if four tires or more on rearmost axle) Pole trailers exempt.
5. Tail Lamps (2)
6. Stop Lamps (2)
7. License Plate Lamp (1)
8. Rear Red Reflectors (2)
9. Turn Signal Lamps
10. Clearance Lamps
11. Side Marker Lamps
12. Side Reflectors
13. Side Marker Lamps and Reflectors (30 feet or more in overall length)
(Refer to Reference Section as per lighting diagrams and as applicable to the particular trailer being inspected.)
14. Serial or Vehicle Identification Number

I was also threatened a ticket for not having commercial plates. Since the car has number, we must be making money was his statement. He first told me to take it up with the judge, but chose not to fine me.

So folks... be aware.....If you do a little searching...apparently the states and local governments are needing more revenue and this is their new revenue stream.

Ours has a safety break away system. I have heard of the inspection but was told it is for larger trailers. Ours only has 2 axles and 4 wheels total. I was informed its for trailers with 4 tires per axle or commercial trailers. Where are you even supposed to put an inspection sticker?? There is a spot for the registration on the plate, but I don't think there's a spot for the inspection...

AllZWay
01-30-2012, 08:11 PM
This was a Rockwall County sheriff's deputy and he was actually nice and took time to explain the law, but I still was not too happy.

edrock96GT
01-30-2012, 09:39 PM
When doing their job means they can get money from us they have no problem going above and beyond. But when I call them on two different occasions at 1:00am because our neighbor's dog won't STFU and I have to get up at 5:30...

Adam Ginsberg
01-30-2012, 11:43 PM
I got caught speeding on the way to Houston on Friday. I was ticketed for 70 in a 60.

FWIW, when I first came to SoCal in 2008, while towing to Buttonwillow, I was pulled over for doing 75 in a 75. Except, whenever a vehicle is towing anything in CA, the maximum speed limit is 55. Period. End of discussion.

$500+ ticket. Wife was not amused.

I need to see if CA has similar laws about a break-away system, lights, etc. I'm sure they do.....

Al Fernandez
01-31-2012, 02:42 PM
Never knew about trailer inspections myself. I have a break-away kit, but I'd be surprised if the battery could hold a charge...

kbrewmr2
01-31-2012, 03:43 PM
Let us know if you find anything out about that trailer inspection stuff so we can spread the word to everyone. I can't even think of where to begin to find a place that could even do it...?

I'd also recommend just hiring a traffic lawyer to fight the system back with this one. I came out way ahead after getting dinged for a 75-in-a-65 plus a bunch of other BS along those same lines you're facing tacked on to boot. Got out of everything for a $250 check to the laywer and $50 in "Court Costs" to get 90 days probation on the speeding and everything else dismissed outright instead of around $600 in fines. Fighting it myself would've been a huge waste of time and money, the lawyers seem to be buddies with the DAs so they end up getting breaks you'll never get yourself in my experiences in this state and others.

turbotoddie
01-31-2012, 06:06 PM
Just a lurker here, but I have an open car trailer and 38' enclosed trailer. I was just recently pulled over with the enclosed and warned for the trailer inspection. Based on our discussion (DPS officer), any car trailer(tandem axle) is required to have brakes on one axle, the breakaway box as noted above and a trailer inspection. The enclosed was required the same things plus since the GVWR of my truck is 11000lbs(05 Dodge 3500) and the GVWR of the enclosed trailer(38' Pace enclosed) is 15500lbs, the combined GVWR exceeds 26000lbs. So you ask? Well, anything over 26000lbs requires the driver to have a Class A driver's license. It doen't have to be a CDL but must be a Class A. Fortunately, I have a CDL or I would have been in a bind. Anyways, the trailer inspection laws have been on the books forever but never enforced. You can get your trailer inspected anywhere they do car inspections as it is not a DOT inspection but a state safety inspection.

Good luck

Turbotoddie

AllZWay
01-31-2012, 09:04 PM
That is basically what i have found out. Any tandem axle trailer can carry at least 5000lbs and is therefore over the 4500gvw and subject to the laws above which definitely require trailer brakes, a breakaway device and yearly inspections.

All state inspection locations are authorized to do trailer inspections, but most don't do it or in many in many cases didn't know they could.

GlennCMC70
01-31-2012, 09:25 PM
If you have a winch and a car battery to run it w/ in/on your trailer, use this for your break-away battery. My winch battery is charged anytime the truck is running w/ the trailer connected. The break-away switch is a small spring loaded contact held open by a plastic pin. The pin is connected to your truck via a small cable. If things come unhooked, the pin is pulled and power is applied to your brakes. My open trailer I used in 2005/2006 had one, but the one I have now doesn't. Hell the brakes don't work at all now. Man, I gotta get that fixed.

donovan
01-31-2012, 09:33 PM
I take my trailer to the local RV dealer, plenty of room in the parking lot... I drop the trailer, head over to Cabelas next door, grab lunch and go pick up the trailer. Easy!

If you get a ticket for NO Inspection! Keyword is NO Inspection on the trailer... thats different from Expired inspection!
That ticket is NOT allowed to be reduced if you get get the inspection. You have to pay it in full! Unlike the expired inspection.
I was pulled over twice on one trip, on a stretch of 30 miles of a 200 mile trip.

edrock96GT
01-31-2012, 10:26 PM
I'm currently borrowing a trailer from an Oklahoma resident. No tag, no inspection, no adherence to Texas laws since active duty military don't have to change registration to the state they're stationed in.

The look in the officer's face is priceless when I show them this: http://www.tax.ok.gov/mvforms/nctl.pdf

rleng1
02-01-2012, 09:54 AM
For North Houston racers, I used Countryside trailers at I45 and north of Hwy 2920.
I took it in for door repair and service the wheel bearings, and they inspected the trailer since it was expired.....for several years. Didn't know about the inspection until then. Had to replace the battery.
Sorry about your dilemma James.

AllZWay
02-02-2012, 08:55 AM
Well I found the costs yesterday.

Speeding: $175
no breakaway: $200
no inspection: $200

However, if I get it inspected and install the breakaway, those tickets are dropped for $30 in court costs. Then take defensive driving for $110 and that ticket is dropped.

The breakaway is costs about $40-50 to purchase and I will install it. I found out my cousin/sponsor(owner of the tire store that swaps tires for me) can inspect the trailer.

ShadowBolt
02-02-2012, 09:00 AM
My trailer has the breakaway but I have never hooked it up. I leave the cable stuffed in a compartment. I guess we should all split James cost since he has enlightened us on the subject (not the speeding he's on his own on that part). Put it on my bill James. I have a few other cost to cover at the moment.

JJ

cobra132
02-02-2012, 12:22 PM
The other confusing thing is were to put the inspection sticker. When I bought my trailer the sticker was on the tongue on the left side. That is were I was putting it untill I got pulled over and I was told it needed to be on the left side of the trailer at the front at eye level so it could be seen by an office seated in his car. This was confirmed at an "official" inspection station. I don't know were it goes on an open trailer, I assume on the tongue. FYI FMR

AllZWay
02-02-2012, 04:07 PM
Good question Frank... I was not told where to put the inspection sticker, but I have been looking and it appears most that had one were on the left side of the tongue.

rleng1
02-02-2012, 05:48 PM
The left side of the tongue is where my inspection sticker was placed. I guess we all know where the DPS can put the tickets.

mitchntx
02-03-2012, 12:03 PM
Well that sux ....

But, it's been discussed before ...

http://www.aicmctexas.com/main/showthread.php?2506-

nasa-rm
04-09-2012, 01:27 PM
On the subject of dead breakaway batteries, I've never bothered to charge them. I just installed one of these and now I don't even have to think about it. 15 minutes and $9.

http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Hopkins/20011.html

AllZWay
04-09-2012, 04:31 PM
I don't think they even care if they are charged....just that you have one. My breakaway charges while connected to the truck.

BTW... After taking defensive driving, adding the breakaway and getting the trailer inspected..... it still cost me about $150, but that was better than $600.

Pranav
05-20-2012, 11:25 PM
Couple of weeks ago, I paid $99 for a 5 yr Maine registration for my open hauler from http://www.mainetrailerregistrations.com/

All I did is fax in a copy of the front of my title (they also accept your current reg receipt) and they called back to get my credit card info. No inspection required. Plate came in this weekend and I couldn't be happier.

mitchntx
05-21-2012, 12:12 PM
Couple of weeks ago, I paid $99 for a 5 yr Maine registration for my open hauler from http://www.mainetrailerregistrations.com/

All I did is fax in a copy of the front of my title (they also accept your current reg receipt) and they called back to get my credit card info. No inspection required. Plate came in this weekend and I couldn't be happier.

I'd be careful doing this. I looked into this a couple years ago when I first read about it on another forum.

From what I gathered ...

That registration gets you an "apportioned" tag which basically means it's registered through a business (in this case maine trailer registration whose primary business is to register trailers) and is used on (among many things) a two wheeled vehicle whose gross weight (GVWR) is 26,000 or more. Does your tow vehicle, trailer and car total 26,000lbs?

It also means the trailer is registered for use in transporting goods across multiple jusidictions.

That leads you into the DOT black hole of driver logs, manifests, etc., etc., etc.

Things may've changed in the last few years, but if not and Texas is beginning to crack down on trailer inspections, I would think a Maine tag labeled as apportioned with a race car on it might raise some suspicion.

ShadowBolt
05-21-2012, 01:12 PM
I'd be careful doing this. I looked into this a couple years ago when I first read about it on another forum.

From what I gathered ...

That registration gets you an "apportioned" tag which basically means it's registered through a business (in this case maine trailer registration whose primary business is to register trailers) and is used on (among many things) a two wheeled vehicle whose gross weight (GVWR) is 26,000 or more. Does your tow vehicle, trailer and car total 26,000lbs?

It also means the trailer is registered for use in transporting goods across multiple jusidictions.

That leads you into the DOT black hole of driver logs, manifests, etc., etc., etc.

Things may've changed in the last few years, but if not and Texas is beginning to crack down on trailer inspections, I would think a Maine tag labeled as apportioned with a race car on it might raise some suspicion.

A friend of mine used to work for Trident Metals and he said DOT was way worse then OSHA.

JJ

BryanL
05-21-2012, 02:56 PM
I would worry more about the trooper giving me a hard time for having a Maine license plate on my trailer when I have a Texas drivers license with a Texas address, being pulled by a truck with Texas plates. I'm thinking that if he starts questioning me about the Maine plates it sure isn't going to help with getting a warning about anything else.

mitchntx
05-21-2012, 07:26 PM
I would worry more about the trooper giving me a hard time for having a Maine license plate on my trailer when I have a Texas drivers license with a Texas address, being pulled by a truck with Texas plates. I'm thinking that if he starts questioning me about the Maine plates it sure isn't going to help with getting a warning about anything else.

Hence apportioned ... the trailer isn't necessarily registered to an individual owner, rather a business doing interstate commerce.

It why a Wal-Mart truck registered in Arkansas is pulling an apprtioned trailer registered in Maine and the driver has a California driver's license.

AllZWay
05-21-2012, 08:46 PM

If you get the Barney Fife I got... he will almost guarantee throw the commercial license crap.

He told me that I should have CDL, since racing is a business and I was making money racing. :o I argued with him and he let me go on that.

Pranav
05-22-2012, 12:06 PM
Hmm will have to do some more research on this. Keeping the TX plate in the trailer box to be safe for now...

Fortunately for me, I'm still young enough to give off the "dumb kid" look/vibe, enough to perhaps convince a barney fife that I don't know what I'm doing, rather than think I'm pulling some commercial crap. Maybe when the 5-yr registration expires I'll have some age on me and will have to go back to the Texas plate :p

David Love AI27
05-22-2012, 12:54 PM
Hmm will have to do some more research on this. Keeping the TX plate in the trailer box to be safe for now...

Fortunately for me, I'm still young enough to give off the "dumb kid" look/vibe, enough to perhaps convince a barney fife that I don't know what I'm doing, rather than think I'm pulling some commercial crap. Maybe when the 5-yr registration expires I'll have some age on me and will have to go back to the Texas plate :p

Get a new plastic plate holder... break it off... when you get pulled over put your hands on you hips and say "Damnit, I just put a new bracket on there... "

AllZWay
12-28-2015, 02:23 PM
Bring this back up for those researching the law.