PDA

View Full Version : Looking for new seat...whaddya think??

BlueFirePony
02-11-2012, 06:45 PM
Planned to change out the Cobras for a full containment Kirkey or Ultrashield and just sold the Cobras, so I thought I'd get opinions now.
Not familiar with all the containment variations that Ultrashield has...subtle and not-so-subtle differences.
Any other options you'd consider?

GlennCMC70
02-11-2012, 07:02 PM
Love my Ultrashield. Been using it since 2001 (same seat). Carefull w/ the containment seats, they often make it harder to get in/out of the car. Consider having it built as a containment seat, but omit the driver side of that add on.

MPHoldway
02-11-2012, 09:34 PM
I'm very happy with my Kirkey halo seat. I like Mindy's Ultrashield even better. Can't go wrong with either IMO...

GlennCMC70
02-11-2012, 09:49 PM
I'm very happy with my Kirkey halo seat. I like Mindy's Ultrashield even better. Can't go wrong with either IMO...

Mindy - do you often speak of yourself in the 3rd person? Or is Casey at it again?

jdlingle
02-11-2012, 10:45 PM
I love my ultrashield road race halo seat. Its not too much harder to get out of than the non containment seat mike had loaned me last year.

BlueFirePony
02-12-2012, 12:49 AM
@Glenn...good point about the containment on the left side...I need to think that through since the S197 has a pretty high window...planning to move the seat back a bit so thinking that might compensate.

The Kirkey seems pretty straightforward...they have just the one road race version that is full containment is that correct?
The Ultrashield has 3 or 4 different versions with seemingly gyrating features and escalating prices. It seems they get lighter and have slicker engineering as they get more expensive but I'm not seeing a real differentiator that screams "you gotta have this feature" by way of comfort/safety though...anyone have insight there?

edrock96GT
02-12-2012, 07:19 AM
I have the non-halo Ultra shield. It's plenty stiff and very comfortable. The only reason I wish I had the halo is to get rid of the head net.

GlennCMC70
02-12-2012, 10:49 AM
Ultrashield is located in Tyler. It is worththe drive to go down and get measured and talk w/ them about your needs. They can custom fab what you need.

BlueFirePony
02-12-2012, 03:49 PM
Ultrashield is located in Tyler. It is worththe drive to go down and get measured and talk w/ them about your needs. They can custom fab what you need.
Excellent point!
Thanks for all the input everyone!

michaelmosty
02-12-2012, 04:48 PM
Calder,
I have the standard Ultrashield Road Race seat and love it. IMO all the "lightweight" options are a waste b/c you would likely be talking 3-5 lbs at the most.

I was also looking into getting the same one Jeremy has b/c it is a circle track seat with the halo and is only about $475. It has the extra rib protection but I opted to not do it b/c it was a little more difficult to get out, as Glenn and others mentioned. It is crazy to think that a seat with extra material is a lot cheaper but that is the way they market them.

I'd also do some searching on the various internet sites as I have seen prices vary by $100. I think I paid $575 for mine shipped.

Al Fernandez
02-13-2012, 04:24 AM
I'm with Michael in thinking that its not worth the extra mula to shave a couple of pounds, but I'm a cheap bastard. I absolutely love the Ultrashields in Randy's and Glenn's cars

marshall_mosty
02-13-2012, 11:30 AM
I have an UltraShield road race w/halo and really like it. I had to cut off approx 2" of the right side halo for viewing out the side mirror, but other than that, it's a tank. Not too heavy either for what goes into it. It's a few generations old, but I would highly recommend their stuff.

BryanL
02-14-2012, 05:44 PM
I'm ordering this one right now.

http://www.buybuybaby.com/product.asp?SKU=17769162&

BlueFirePony
07-05-2012, 01:00 PM
Kyri and I are going to stop in at Ultrashield tomorrow while we are out that way looking for parts - try on a few seats for size.
We are heading to Gun Barrel city and one or two other salvage yards out that way.

If anyone by chance needs something from Ultrashield or are looking for a specific part let me know.

Daniel Allford
07-05-2012, 04:29 PM
Im completely happy with my: Ultra Shield 15" 20 degree Road Race VS Halo
770-505-0193
www.RacedaySafety.com
Dan Allford #82

rleng1
07-07-2012, 06:52 AM
Ultra shield.
I use in my living room as a recliner in the silly season, when proctor and Al are not in it.
Do we have a race anytime soon?

GlennCMC70
07-07-2012, 09:36 AM
Ultra shield.
I use in my living room as a recliner in the silly season, when proctor and Al are not in it.
Do we have a race anytime soon?

Sept at Hallett.

ShadowBolt
07-07-2012, 12:30 PM
Sept at Hallett.

It's not on the NASA website schedule at nasaproracing. At least not on the home page.

I considered going. Anyone else?

JJ

GlennCMC70
07-07-2012, 02:59 PM
It's not on the NASA website schedule at nasaproracing. At least not on the home page.

I considered going. Anyone else?

JJ

Central Region
Event #1353: August 4- 5, 2012 - Mid America Motorplex, Pacific Junction, IA
Event #1352: September 1- 2, 2012 - Hastings Motorsports Park, Hastings, NE
Event #1369: September 5- 9, 2012 - Mid Ohio Sports Car Course
Event #1380: September 22-23, 2012 - Hallett Motor Racing Circuit, Tulsa, OK
Event #1354: October 20-21, 2012 - Heartland Park, Topeka, KS

BlueFirePony
08-03-2012, 10:32 PM
The Ultrashield seat just arrived today. I'm interested in how everyone has theirs mounted. The Cobra mounts went with the seats. Surprisingly that's one thing I just never looked at in all the years of poking my head in and around everyone's cars. Anyone got pix of seats mounted.

GlennCMC70
08-03-2012, 10:59 PM
Through the bottom. I use (4) 1/4" bolts w/ large fender washers. Mounts are fab'ed 1" square tube (1/8" wall) welded to the floor w/ weld-in threaded inserts. Seat is adjustable in 2" increments as the inserts are weled in every 2 inches. Has about a 8-10" range.
I have used the very same seat since the start of 2005 and have had zero issues w/ the way it is mounted.

BlueFirePony
08-03-2012, 11:07 PM
I have used the very same seat since the start of 2005 and have had zero issues w/ the way it is mounted.
Yeah, but you've never landed on a tire wall. Think I'll double the tubing AND bold sizes ;)

GlennCMC70
08-03-2012, 11:13 PM
Yeah, but you've never landed on a tire wall. Think I'll double the tubing AND bold sizes ;)

And you never caught a Mustang w/ your right front.

LG Motorsports used #10 machine screws to hold thier Kirkey's in place in the World Challenge C5's.
The bolts are there to hold the seat, not you. The belts hold you to the floor and the cross bar. Have a good seatback brace and all will be fine. But hey, use what you feel will be OK for you.

BlueFirePony
08-04-2012, 09:37 AM
And you never caught a Mustang w/ your right front.

LG Motorsports used #10 machine screws to hold thier Kirkey's in place in the World Challenge C5's.
The bolts are there to hold the seat, not you. The belts hold you to the floor and the cross bar. Have a good seatback brace and all will be fine. But hey, use what you feel will be OK for you.
Glenn...it was a joke brother (although I can't spell apparently). Man, I am 0-2 with you lately. How many smiley faces = joke?

Al Fernandez
08-04-2012, 02:39 PM
The setup Glenn describes is my favorite. Gives you plenty of adjustment range and the seat is solid and low. Plus a piece of square tubing and some weld-serts are just about free.

BlueFirePony
08-04-2012, 03:33 PM
Yep. That was pretty much what I was planning - it seemed fairly simple so glad it has a AI/CMC seal of approval. I've got a good seat back brace around here somewhere.