PDA

View Full Version : CMC and rear diff catch cans - soon to be legal.

GlennCMC70
03-07-2012, 08:33 AM
The CMC Series Directors from all regions agreed to modify the catch can rule to allow a catch can for the rear diff. The final wording has not been approved. It appears CMC will follow the AI rule regarding this area. If you have one on your car, you will not face a DQ at the next event. The rule should be updated and posted as a tech bulletin on the National site prior to our April event. If you install one prior to the Tech Bulletin being posted, please contact myself or another NASA/CMC Official.

RichardP
03-07-2012, 09:06 AM
catch can for the rear diff.

Is the update going to include any wording on the transmission vent?

Richard P.

GlennCMC70
03-07-2012, 09:11 AM

Richard P.

Not at this time. I can ask though.
Stand by.

GlennCMC70
03-11-2012, 12:54 PM

Richard P.

The proposed wording at this time includes the trans. You should be good. Look for the tech bulletin on the National site. Not sure when Al wil post it.

GlennCMC70
03-15-2012, 02:56 PM
3/15/12 - Catch tanks
Effective immediately, 7.17 is replaced in its entirety with the following:
All engine breathers and coolant overflow lines must vent to a catch tank of at least one U.S. quart capacity. Engine oil and engine coolant catch tanks and vents may not be located inside the driver compartment. An engine vacuum breather that passes through a catch tank to the exhaust system or vacuum devices that connect directly to the exhaust system are prohibited. Rear axle and transmission vents may be extended and/or have a catch tank added.

BlueFirePony
03-15-2012, 06:32 PM
3/15/12 - Catch tanks
Effective immediately, 7.17 is replaced in its entirety with the following:
All engine breathers and coolant overflow lines must vent to a catch tank of at least one U.S. quart capacity. Engine oil and engine coolant catch tanks and vents may not be located inside the driver compartment. An engine vacuum breather that passes through a catch tank to the exhaust system or vacuum devices that connect directly to the exhaust system are prohibited. Rear axle and transmission vents may be extended and/or have a catch tank added.

The AI ruleset specifically excludes rear diff oil from "driver's compartment" constraint in the language.
Should the CMC rule be adjusted that way?

I myself am still looking for a definition of "driver's compartment"

From AI rules:7.6 Catch Tanks
All engine breathers and coolant overflow lines must vent to a catch tank of adequate capacity to hold any potential overflow. Catch tanks may not be mounted in the driver‟s compartment with the exception of rear differential catch tanks.
edit: AI rule apparently constrains trans oil venting in drivers compartment while proposed CMC language does not....should both rulesets be written the same?

edit 2: Also AI leaves capacity open...my 3 oz bottle was definately not enough...I would think a quart would be, but I like the fact the AI rule puts the responsibility on me....overflow a 1 quart bottle because I forgot to clear it or a 3oz bottle because it is not enough....either way its on me.