PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for an 8.8" rear rebuild...

gt40
04-16-2012, 10:40 AM
Can anyone recommend a shop that can rebuild my 8.8" rear? It's several years old now and I figure its due (I know for sure the pinion bearing and seal has 220,000 miles on it.)

Now that I think about it, I can do everything EXCEPT set the pinion gear. Can anyone do that or does anyone know of a reliable shop that can install it to the correct Ford depth (it's a Ford gear set.)

-- Robert (I'm not dead yet.)

BryanL
04-16-2012, 03:23 PM
Standard Transmission and Gear in Fort Worth can certainly do it but you should be able to find someone closer.

marshall_mosty
04-18-2012, 08:30 AM
Call Richard Painter. He can set it up for you.
Dallas Mustang may or may not want to touch it
I could do it, but have zero time for my own crap right now...

gt40
04-18-2012, 10:25 AM

Same here, but I've never set up a pinion gear, and I don't have the correct tools to do it. Perhaps we could work something out for just the pinion?

gt40
04-18-2012, 10:27 AM

I could do the whole thing EXCEPT for the pinion gear -- I've never set one up and I don't have the experience or the tools needed. Perhaps we could work something out for just the pinion?

ShadowBolt
04-18-2012, 12:23 PM
I could do the whole thing EXCEPT for the pinion gear -- I've never set one up and I don't have the experience or the tools needed. Perhaps we could work something out for just the pinion?

All you need to set-up the pinion on the 8.8 is a long breaker bar, a companion bar, some cheater pipe and a inch pound torque wrench. You tightem the pinion nut crushing the crush sleeve until it has the right amount of pre-load. I found a video on youtube that shows it done correctly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8APYO2sZyJU

JJ

gt40
04-18-2012, 12:32 PM
All you need to set-up the pinion on the 8.8 is a long breaker bar, a companion bar, some cheater pipe and a inch pound torque wrench. You tightem the pinion nut crushing the crush sleeve until it has the right amount of pre-load. I found a video on youtube that shows it done correctly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8APYO2sZyJU

JJReally? How do you set the pinion depth correctly?

Wade
04-18-2012, 01:07 PM
The crappy part about setting the depth is that it is properly measured to the centerline of the main caps, so if you can devise a method/tool to accurately locate the centerline of the main bearings/caps/axles, you just add shims under the pinion until you get the distance from the top of the pinion to that centerline correct. The pinion is the easy part. The backlash is the hard part.

edrock96GT
04-18-2012, 03:01 PM
When I installed 3.73s I just miked the old pinion + shims, then measured the new pinion and added whatever thickness of shims I needed to match the total length of the old one. That will result in the same depth. Just don't do what I did and think that the inner bearing race is seated just because it's flush with the case...

To me the backlash is the easy part. Just move shims from one side to the other until your pattern looks right. The best thing to do once you find the right amount of shims is to buy a single shim per side that's the total thickness you end up with, rather than multiple shims that can shift around.

ShadowBolt
04-18-2012, 03:49 PM
Really? How do you set the pinion depth correctly?

What Wade said.

JJ

gt40
04-18-2012, 04:04 PM
Backlash I can handle -- I did that when I set up my Torsen. Since I was swapping diffs, not gear sets, I didn't touch the pinion.

Has anyone ever used this?

http://www.ratechmfg.com/pinion%20setting%20tool.htm

It's a gauge that sits ON the pinion shaft and provides a measuring surface between the bottom of the bearing pocket and the gauge itself. There are models specific to the rear end being set up (#10006 is the one for the Ford 8.8.) At $30 at Summit, it's cheap enough for me to grab and do the rear end myself. If I install the pinion and can't get a good contact pattern, I can always have a shop re-do it.

Boudy
04-19-2012, 09:30 PM
David Painter (Richard's Brother) has a shop in S. Ft. Worth, he did my tranny and rear end. (817) 447-1900

I'll use him every time in the future again. Too many guys do it themselves, don't save enough to even justify the trouble, and complain about failures. I just can't go that route.

Boudy