PDA

View Full Version : Red Shift Racing #82 Set Up Notes

Daniel Allford
05-04-2012, 01:49 PM
Team 82 Red Shift Racing Set-up comments
I have had a great time racing with the CMC AI family. I have learned a LOT in the last 3 years which the Red Shift Racing Team would like to share with everyone. First off thanks to Richard for sharing his years of experience (and much of this document). To Craig for going racing with me for the last 15 years. To James, Michael, Glenn and all the other drivers who have shown me the line and answered my questions. I hope these notes help everyone to run in the front, or at least stir up some discussion. Some of the information is Camaro specific, sorry I don’t know ‘stangs, gotta ask Richard.

Cheap but important stuff

Tire pressure; Toyo currently recommends high 30’s to low 40’s hot. We guess cold pressures then bleed down to 40-42 front and 33-36 rear after the first session. Tire pressure needs to be taken within a couple minutes of leaving the track. Tire pressures taken 15 minutes later are useless junk. If you don’t have crew to do this, just ask Craig or Richard. That bulge in their pants is a pressure gauge.
The required cold pressures to get these hot pressures vary. Cold pressures are affected by the track, the direction run, ambient temperature, your driving style, and the amount of moisture inside the tire when it was mounted. So you need a test/warmup session to dial it in, but we have gotten good at guessing.
If you just grab our tire pressures and use them because they are “correct,” you are doing it wrong. Vary tire pressures to see what you like and what works best with your setup. Some very fast people are happy with hot pressures below 30. Remember that the front and rear tires are trying to accomplish different things and their pressures can be different.

Front camber on the Camaro -2 to -3 degrees. For us that is the limit of the slots plus another 1/8” of grinding. Make all the bolts tight and recheck camber periodically. I use a cheap digital level to check this. A bit more camber than this wouldn’t be a bad thing if you can get it.

Toe is important. An old autocrosser’s trick is to dial in a bunch of toe out. This gives the car great turn in and feels great. I recommend this… if you are going to autocross your CMC car. Toe out makes the car unstable under braking. We set toe at zero to 1/16” in BUT we run solid control arm bushings to avoid toe out under braking. If you still have rubber bushings (you shouldn’t), a bit more toe in wouldn’t be bad.

Caster; set it to the maximum the slots allow (fully forward). We don’t have a way to measure it so we just max it out.

Track width is important for overall grip. The difference between front and rear track is useful for tweaking handling. We use spacers to set the front track width to just under the legal limit. It helps turning and keeps the tires off brake ducts too. In the rear, wider will give less oversteer, narrower will tend to put power down better. Like tire pressure, the rear doesn’t have to match the front. Use good wheel studs( we use ARP) and quality wheel spacers.

Wear earplugs to save your hearing and cut distractions.

Costly but important stuff

Brakes; the best thing we added to the car was StopTech brakes. Solid, reliable, powerful. We are running Porterfield R4 pads. With the Stop Techs we were able to increase rear braking bias without wheel hop. On the rears we run cheap Auto Zone pads. We probably need to look into getting more rear brakes. We run Motul RBF 600 fluid.

Seat; the second best money we spent was on an Ultra Shield seat. It is safer and it holds me in place so I have one less thing to think about.

Brake bias adjuster; at least until we changed to StopTech front brakes this was essential to kill brake hop.

Brake ducts; The crew finds it disturbing to see glowing rotors and it doesn’t help pad or rotor life. We run Blaine brake plenums, ducting and scoops mounted in the bumper.

Tires; are going to be the biggest part of your budget, they are the price of admission. You can’t go fast, test or learn on crap tires. We shave to 5/32”

Rear spoiler; A small rear spoiler on a CMC car can both reduce drag and cancel rear lift. A bit larger spoiler can add a little downforce with minimal drag. Being slightly rear aero biased isn’t a bad thing. It allows the car to be set up to rotate well in tight, low speed corners while ensuring it will still be stable in high speed corners.

Springs, shocks and sway bars; Camaro specific, currently we are running very stiff at 1100lbs in the front and 300lbs in the back with 30 mm bar in the front and 19mm in the rear Unbalanced Engineering Bilstein shocks and it seems to work. Generally, softer rates will be easier to learn and to drive. We plan to experiment with softer rates. Report to follow.
Non Camaro specific, good balance is critical. Remember, loose is fast… well, unless you are in traffic, or trying to pass, or trying to keep from being passed, or trying to string together several consistent laps… like in a race. A collection of springs, sway bars, wheel spacers, etc. is useful to help get the car balanced. Your optimum solution could be slightly different for different tracks.

Solid front control arm bushings; Get rid of the rubber stuff. We use a Global West kit. Similar stuff is available for other platforms.

Replace the front hubs once you get any bearing play. It plays havoc with your alignment and causes brake pad knock back.

Get a good shifter and you won’t miss as many shifts. We run a MGW shifter it has a strong spring so you know where the 3-4 gate is.

Safety

I run a halon fire suppression system and a fuel cell. Total cost is around $2,000 but you would gladly write that check if you were burning.

Braided steel brake lines; More durable and you get a firmer pedal.

Forged rear axles; We run Superior Axle parts and ARP studs.

Mostly labor but worth the trouble

Dead pedal; I fabricated one which I secure to the cage with hose clamps.

Get rid of the VATS crap. Go on line and figure out how to eliminate the key resistor. (GM specific.)

Rewire everything you can. I built a simple switch panel with fuses and relays for the basic functions of the car. I ran everything through a 30 amp panel breaker which protects the circuit and acts as a main switch.

Dyno till you get what you want. We noticed that the front guys all run higher horse power (and weights)

Build a defroster; I welded up a pan mounted to the fire wall which collects heat from the fire wall. The hot air is drawn through a hose to a cheap bilge fan from Academy to blow on the windshield. (We don’t actually know that this works, yet)

Build an air dam which is within the rules. An air dam reduces front lift and aids engine cooling. I used Kydex plastic for mine it is readily available and indestructible.

Going Fast

Drive, drive, drive. Sign up for test days and attend Drivers Education events. I have learned more teaching and driving at TheDriversEdge.net than I have on race day. At a DE event the stress of performing is off so you can concentrate on driving. Bring your helmet to a Driver’sEdge event and catch a ride in the OrangeThing™.

Follow and learn from every driver you can. Chasing Michael, Glenn and James is a great education. As I have told them: “everything you teach me can and will be used against you on track”. They ought to give out certificates of completion to every driver who successfully hangs on their bumper during a practice session.

Read. In my opinion, if you only read one book it should be Drive to Win by Carroll Smith. All his books should be required reading.

Learn how to left foot brake and do it when it is appropriate.

Let’s go racing!
Dan Allford #82 CMC
Red Shift Racing

MikeP99Z
05-04-2012, 02:12 PM
Nice write up Dan!

Very noble of you to put your setup out there for all to read.

A couple general items to add for newer folks:

1. Take notes on setup for each track so that you can reference it later.
2. Understand what the car is telling you in each part of the corner(s), that way you have a good description when trying to explain what the car is doing to someone else.
3. Once a comfortable "balance" is achieved, and tire pressures are in the right range, start taking tire temps and making more notes.

Camaro front hubs (my most expensive constantly replaced part) - check them all the time. I've had them go bad anywhere between 1 session and 3 days. Average life of my hubs is 2 weekends. We recently unloaded on a Timken engineer regarding the durability.

You switching cars/classes?

AllZWay
05-04-2012, 02:46 PM
Cool stuff Dan.. of course we have discussed most of this already, but I think it is great that you actually posted it.

You have already been schooling me this year, so I better read it a little more in depth. :D

GlennCMC70
05-04-2012, 03:15 PM
Dan - post that article we talked about.

cobra132
05-04-2012, 04:28 PM
Dan, You are a class act. FMR

BryanL
05-04-2012, 04:43 PM
Awesome stuff Dan. Thanks. What is going on? You hand out beers to everyone and then post this up-hope you aren't going anywhere other than to Nationals?

HoustonNW
05-04-2012, 05:36 PM
Thanks Dan. Good visiting with you today. I've been pestering you the last few races and really appreciate the help.

jdlingle
05-04-2012, 08:34 PM
The shifter tip really hit home for me in race 4. I blew a shift in turn 3 that messed me up for turn 4 where I decided to practice my doughnuts in the grass.

David Love AI27
05-04-2012, 11:55 PM
Dan, You are a class act. FMR

Ditto..

RichardP
05-05-2012, 01:00 AM
So we have been helping out a few of the guys at the last few events and we came away surprised at the lack of basic setup knowledge that we found. It seemed like a good idea to publish this to help out everyone that could use a hand. There is nothing earth shattering in here. I doubt it will make the fast guys any faster. Hopefully it will bring a few of the slower guys along quicker and make the racing more fun for everyone.

Dan and Craig will be at the MSRC Driver's Edge event on May 19-20. Show up to get a ride or ask more questions. Sign up for the red group to do some lead/follow with the Orange thing. I won't be at that event but I am planning on having my car at the NASA GSS event on that Sunday. My passenger seat is open and I'm happy to answer questions and help with setup.

If there are any questions about the notes, feel free to ask. We will start up a discussion to try and fill in the why behind them.

See you at the track. I'm really looking forward to Hallett...

Richard P.

Storm Trooper
05-05-2012, 09:25 AM
As a "newbie rookie" this is invaluable, I so look forward to meeting you all and hopefully I can keep up with ya'll some day..lol

Sean Richardson
Storm Trooper (my 2 boys idea)

Fbody383
05-05-2012, 04:56 PM
Great notes guys... appreciate it.

I know one of my biggest limiters is seat time; I had never driven a 4th gen PERIOD before the MSRH Friday test day in 2009.

Al Fernandez
05-06-2012, 10:17 AM
Excellent stuff guys!! Thats a pretty stiff spring setup considering the bumpiness of Texas tracks. You guys in other platforms remember you cant compare spring rate from one platform to another. You can, however, compare wheel rate. You need to know the motion ratio of the suspension to calculate the wheel rate. The square of the motion ratio times the spring rate gives you wheel rate. For a 4th gen, the front is 0.581 and the rear is 1.040. In other words, Dan's 1100 front springs result in a front wheel rate of 371. By the way a stock 4th gen had a wheel rate of around 100 :)

I think everyone needs to be able to do their own alignments. Toe is simple: two plates and two tape measures and you're set. No reason to spend $300 on a Smart camber gauge, the digital black box is the same as in any digital level that you can get for $130. If you can measure camber you can measure caster!! Caster =(180/pi)*(C1-C2)/(T2-T1) where C1 and C2 are camber measurements at turn positions T1 and T2 respectively. So, turn the tire 10 degrees left from center, thats T1 (10) and measure C1. Turn the tire to be 10 degrees right of center (T2 is -10) and measure C2. Using a little algebra you can draw a couple of points on the ground to tell you what 10 degrees to either side of center is. A couple of pieces of sheet metal with some oil will make bitchin turn plates on the cheap. If you have a welder, make yourself some "stools" to allow you to have the car on its wheels but 18" or so off the ground so you can adjust alignment without having to jack up the car.

David Love AI27
05-06-2012, 12:35 PM
I think everyone needs to be able to do their own alignments.

Caster =(180/pi)*(C1-C2)/(T2-T1) where C1 and C2 are camber measurements at turn positions T1 and T2 respectively. So, turn the tire 10 degrees left from center, thats T1 (10) and measure C1. Turn the tire to be 10 degrees right of center (T2 is -10) and measure C2. Using a little algebra you can draw a couple of points on the ground to tell you what 10 degrees to either side of center is.

All I heard was "do your own alignments and then Wa, wa, waaa, wa, wa, wa, waaaa, wa, wa, waaa...

TJ Bain
05-21-2012, 07:50 PM
A couple of pieces of sheet metal with some oil will make bitchin turn plates on the cheap.

I prefer two halves of a Bud Light box with some axle grease in between. Works good for making sure the tire isn't sticking on scale pads too if you don't have drive on pads. Use the printed side for the grease side, it doesn't soak up the grease. Old drum brake axle grease soaks up less then M1 grease, FWIW.

Doesn't everyone have BL boxes and a tub of old axle grease you can't use anymore? ;)

Daniel Allford
12-11-2012, 04:52 PM
Most of our set up notes from May are still valid. But we have learned a few things this season.

Correction:At ECR we learned that higher rear pressures worked better, in my May post we recommended 33-36 psi hot rear pressures. As we pushed the car harder, we found this pressure is too low and the rear tires "roll over" and "grind". We are now running 38 to 40 psi in the Rear, still running 40-42 psi hot in the front. Just as an experiment we took pressures up to 44 hot and the car felt "skatey". There is an upper limit. At ECR we managed to get some 3rd gear inside tire spin at these high pressures on the next to last corner. I thought we had cooked a clutch until I realized them my limited slip diff wasnt very limited.

Rear Brakes: At Hallet we found that cheap Autozone pads (which worked at TWS) last < 20 minutes. They crumbled before they wore out. We went to Porterfield R4s but could not dial out the brake hop at ECR. Glenn graciously gave us some Carbo Tech XP8s which seem to be the ticket. We are cracking rear rotors all the way to the edge now that we are using more of the braking of the car.

Tire Temperatures: For me Toyo R1s are fastest when they are warm, not cool, not hot. Learn the track before qualifying, because your fast lap will be early in the qualifying session. Question: what is all that wiggling I see everyone doing on the warm up lap?

Windshield wipers: are handy

Defroster: it worked! And being to see greatly enhances the driving experience.

Chassis issues: We are using up these cars, inspect for cracks. Look at the K member, the rear transmission cradle and the tunnel around the rear of the transmission. Safety wire all 5 bolts in the rear transmission support once you get tired of brake hopping them off the car.

See y'all on track in 2013.

Dan Allford #82