PDA

View Full Version : radiator air deflector

ShadowBolt
05-09-2012, 10:53 AM
On the Fox the air deflector was a must to run cool. My car has never had one but now that I have a real gauge instead of the stock crap I'm thinking I may need this. Anyone running a SN95 or SN99 running one of these?

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/LRS-8349C/94-04-Ford-Mustang-Radiator-Air-Deflector

JJ

Tilton
05-09-2012, 01:27 PM
I haven't had one my car either but after this last event it was first on my to-do list. Searching a couple mustang forums, most people seem to buy a Ranger air deflector. This site has the part number and how they installed it on a Fox body. Rockauto had this piece for ~$25 plus $25 shipping :/

It is supposed to be delivered tonight. I hope it is going to work out.

ShadowBolt
05-09-2012, 02:08 PM
I haven't had one my car either but after this last event it was first on my to-do list. Searching a couple mustang forums, most people seem to buy a Ranger air deflector. This site has the part number and how they installed it on a Fox body. Rockauto had this piece for ~$25 plus $25 shipping :/

It is supposed to be delivered tonight. I hope it is going to work out.

I had the Ranger piece on my Fox but I don't know about the newer cars using that one. The price for the stock unit is less than $30.00 if it will stay put.

JJ

michaelmosty
05-09-2012, 02:49 PM
I had the Ranger piece on my Fox but I don't know about the newer cars using that one. The price for the stock unit is less than $30.00 if it will stay put.

JJ
I'd stick w/ the Ranger one, you just have to drill new mounting holes. I just cut mine about 8" wider than the radiator and then just trimmed it to meet the 4" rule.
Sam borrowed it at Hallett last year after my motor blew and I know his car wouldn't have made it without it. IMO, it is a must have on any 5.0L and I would think 4.6 as well.
I need to get another one as backup.

Crumpacker
05-11-2012, 12:24 PM
Sam borrowed it at Hallett last year after my motor blew and I know his car wouldn't have made it without it. IMO, it is a must have on any 5.0L and I would think 4.6 as well.
I need to get another one as backup.

I completely agree! I was going to mention this after I read the first post. Thanks again for the loaner Michael!

I dropped almost 30* after putting it on... no joke.

Too bad you guys aren't fortunate enough to live on a Laguna Seca corkscrew replica like me. A Ranger drove into the house across the street and left his air dam amongst the rubble... it's in my garage now.

marshall_mosty
05-15-2012, 03:06 AM
I completely agree! I was going to mention this after I read the first post. Thanks again for the loaner Michael!

I dropped almost 30* after putting it on... no joke.

Too bad you guys aren't fortunate enough to live on a Laguna Seca corkscrew replica like me. A Ranger drove into the house across the street and left his air dam amongst the rubble... it's in my garage now.

Sam,
Have you ever thought about moving?? I guess your homeowner's insurance is pretty steep. I hope you know a good agent... :)

Crumpacker
05-18-2012, 05:21 PM
Sam,
I guess your homeowner's insurance is pretty steep. I hope you know a good agent... :)

My agent's tha bomb! ;)

My homeowners didn't get expensive until the day I ruined my hardwoods by riding my washing machine like a quarter horse - I was wearing my family heirloom white cowboy outfit too.

michaelmosty
05-18-2012, 05:34 PM
My agent's tha bomb! ;)

My homeowners didn't get expensive until the day I ruined my hardwoods by riding my washing machine like a quarter horse - I was wearing my family heirloom white cowboy outfit too.
Y'all better watch out, there will be a new sheriff at Hallett this year!!! ;^)

BlueFirePony
05-18-2012, 06:50 PM
Y'all better watch out, there will be a new sheriff at Hallett this year!!! ;^). But it seems he'll dress just like the old sheriff... ;)

BADVENM
05-20-2012, 12:32 AM
Michael, could you tell me the dimensions of the Ranger air deflector...specifically the length from top to bottom vs left to right. I need one and couldnt find any info online...yet.

michaelmosty
05-21-2012, 10:39 AM
Michael, could you tell me the dimensions of the Ranger air deflector...specifically the length from top to bottom vs left to right. I need one and couldnt find any info online...yet.

http://brazeauracing.com/mustang/airdam.htm
Not sure of the width b/c I cut the ends off of mine when installing.
The above link is from a guy that Marshall and I autocrossed w/ back about 15 years ago who we first learned of the Ranger air dam.