PDA

View Full Version : Dynocom brand dyno - or others for yearly certs

AllZWay
05-15-2012, 02:15 PM
Do you think the rules would ever allow for us to do our dyno certs on another brand dyno beside Dynojet?

We have two local hot rod shops that have installed dynos in the past couple of years.. actually one just opened for dynos this week, but neither of them are Dynojet.

The new one is a Dynocom and the other I am not sure the brand, but I think a Mustang derivative. I never consider the Mustang because of the negative stories. The new that opened told me that they dyno'ed back to back with a Dynojet and this Dynocom and the numbers were within 1% of each other. He didn't say high or low and I didn't ask once I heard it was a Dynocom though.

I only ask because I have to haul two hours each year just to get my dyno.

Obviously it is not a huge deal, just curious since it seems there are more and more dynos other than Dynojet popping up these days.

GlennCMC70
05-15-2012, 03:28 PM
The Mustang brand dyno has always been counted out since it is an eddy current dyno . For the longest time there was only 2 players in the game - Dynojet and Mustang. The standard "tool" has always been the Dynojet. This is because the others produced numbers that were way off w/ respect tot he Dynojet. If this new brand is compairable to the Dynojet, I'm all for it. It will require some independent testing though. Shoot the request through the CMC Directors and see where it goes.

edrock96GT
05-15-2012, 04:12 PM
I've done all my dyno tuning on a Dynocom. The owner did a lot of homework before deciding to buy one. The numbers are always 3% lower than a dynojet, but all you have to do is check a box (it actually says "dynojet correction") and it changes the readings for you. It's an excellent dyno and very accurate (measures for DA, temp, humidity, barometric pressure, etc.).

If anyone feels the need to check one out and feels like swinging by let me know. I'll see if I can arrange something.

GlennCMC70
05-15-2012, 04:23 PM
Great info.
From what Eddie says, this could be a done deal.

AllZWay
05-16-2012, 08:22 AM
This would be great if we could get this approved for the future.

Chuck
05-16-2012, 12:25 PM
The Dynocom units are also eddy current brake units. Verified by checking the web specs and pulling the cover off the Dynocom 5000 series unit we have here at work. In fact, the Dynocom 5000 series we have looks like the Mustang dyno MD-250.

http://www.land-and-sea.com/chassis-dyno/chassis-dyno.htm

http://www.mustangdyne.com/mustangdyne/products/chassis-dynamometers/2wd/?prod=MD-250+Series

Chuck
CMC#14

GlennCMC70
05-16-2012, 09:04 PM
Wow.
First I have heard of this brand. Explains why I didn't know it was an eddy current type. Nice info Chuck.
I sent an email to all the Directors a day or so ago. No responces yet. My guess they are all out of country and I should be more patient........

AllZWay
05-17-2012, 08:22 AM
Oh well...doesn't hurt to ask.