PDA

View Full Version : '68 Mustang - sanity check(s)!

BlueFirePony
05-26-2012, 05:01 PM
Don't get too excited...not planning to race my wifes '68 Mustang...just thought I'd get some opinions on our plans - the race car will have to wait (promises are promises)

We're almost complete with the under-carriage tear down on my wife's '68 Mustang coupe (aka Mandy) - amazingly good shape for a 40 year old car.
Surface rust only - have a couple very small holes to weld but that's about it. Very happy.

Mandy is intended to be largely an around town daily driver - though Anna wants to hop in and take a cruise/trip or two.

Anyway, the plan is to clean the entire under-body (already have all four corners, all suspension, rear-end pulled) and then use Duplicolor underbody coating to ensure the largely rust-free underside stays that way. The previous owner had done the rear fender wells so we are going to clean that out and do a fresh spray.

Sound like a good plan? Are we wasting our time - since there was no rust, why go to the trouble?? Any other approaches?

michaelmosty
05-27-2012, 04:24 PM
Bryan, call me and I can fill you in on my plans for my 66. I finally got off my butt and ordered some suspension, steering, rear end, and brake parts for mine. My plans are for a full restoration with upgraded "stock type" parts. No fancy aftermarket setups but I am doing stiffer springs, poly bushings, slightly better shocks, etc.

I am attacking it similar to you. Turn it from a piece of crap roller to a clean and complete roller. The motor and trans is the easy part.
As for underside paint I plan to use POR15. I used it on my 70 LeMans about 10 years ago and it worked great. It is brush on and will take longer but incredibly strong when applied.

The great thing is all the parts are stupid cheap. I have found the best overall prices on cjponyparts.com.

marshall_mosty
05-27-2012, 08:42 PM
I finally got off my butt and ordered some suspension, steering, rear end, and brake parts for mine. .
I know... All your "parts" are currently on my trailer....

BlueFirePony
05-28-2012, 10:23 AM
I know... All your "parts" are currently on my trailer....
Excellent..so you won't mind if I bring my parts down and store them on your trailer as well right ? :)
Michael - I'll give you a call this week and we can compare notes...sounds like our plans are very similar...I've never used the POR15 stuff but it sounds like it'll do the job for sure.

marshall_mosty
05-28-2012, 11:50 AM
Excellent..so you won't mind if I bring my parts down and store them on your trailer as well right ? :)
Michael - I'll give you a call this week and we can compare notes...sounds like our plans are very similar...I've never used the POR15 stuff but it sounds like it'll do the job for sure.

Storage cost is $0.75 per sq/ft per month... :)

BlueFirePony
05-28-2012, 03:13 PM
Storage cost is $0.75 per sq/ft per month... :)
Not by volume? Cool, I can stack stuff to the roof ;)