PDA

View Full Version : TWS Details???

marshall_mosty
08-06-2006, 10:29 PM
I heard that there was some "action" during the 1st race Sunday. According to Michael, Micah is fine, but the car has seen better days. Also, one of Corey's crew caught it on film????

Mike Bell
08-07-2006, 06:41 AM
Oh man, I hope this isn't true. Micah was really flying and looked to be having a blast on Saturday. Plus, that's a beautiful coupe they have built!

donovan
08-07-2006, 06:45 AM
I will have the video tonight... but should have some photos up in about two hours.

We were all glad to see he was okay, but the racecar did not fair well at all...

DD

jeffburch
08-07-2006, 06:55 AM
Todd and I were talking on cell phone lastnite. Was a short convo as he was running to the house to get his trailer.
He was headed out somewhere to assist either Micah or Jerry.
Seems as though one of them (I'm not clear as to which one) was in a bad accident on the way home.
If anyone has more info on this please update (or clarify) please.

jb

http://www.texicanracing.com/nasatx/JeffBurch/08_06_TWS%20019.jpg

http://www.texicanracing.com/nasatx/JeffBurch/08_06_TWS%20021.jpg

mitchntx
08-07-2006, 07:06 AM
Holy Moly! :shock:

Mike Bell
08-07-2006, 07:23 AM
OMG, looks to be a terrible incident. Very glad to hear Micah was unharmed.

CMC17
08-07-2006, 07:35 AM
Anyone have updated information???!!!??

Micah ok?
Jerry/kids ok?

C'mon!!!! Someone has to know something by now!

I don't care about the who, when, what or how.. I want to know if everyone is ok!?!

GlennCMC70
08-07-2006, 07:42 AM
yep, Jerry's girls hung in our garage area and played w/ my little girls all weekend. please, someone post something when they know it.

donovan
08-07-2006, 08:25 AM
My photos of the racecar are posted in the gallery.

Very Sad!
DD

gt40
08-07-2006, 08:51 AM
ouch! Looks like everyone's OK, though and the cage did its job. How's Micah feeling after a ride like that?

Micah -- I have a line on a solid, nearly stock '91 LX hatch if you're interested.

AllZWay
08-07-2006, 08:58 AM
Glad to hear everyone was all right after what must have been a wild ride. :shock:

He will probably want to change his slogan on the back of his next car. :cry:

donovan
08-07-2006, 09:03 AM
I just talked with Todd, Wow… sounds like on the way home Jerry was in an accident with another car. The other car hit some water that was piled up next to a K-wall in a construction zone and hydroplaned, drove up the wall then bounced off Jerry… sounded like multiple times, Jerry stayed with it and the other driver proceeded to bounce around and hit the trailer as well. He said the other car had roof damage, Wow!

Todd stopped to assist and while helping a Spec Miata tow rig and trailer was in an accident in the same location. Again, from Todd… Someone was on the side of the road at the same location as Jerry’s accident he opened the driver door and either the SM’s tow rig or the trailer took out the door!!! Driver was okay. Crazy!

Jerry, Micah and the kids are at Todd’s house; Jerry’s truck is getting repaired. New control arm, ball joint, tie rod end and he should be on the road.

That is all I have… Todd said he might not get on the boards today as he will be busy with work and helping Jerry and Micah get back on the road.

What a weekend!
DD

GlennCMC70
08-07-2006, 09:10 AM
good news guys! glad everyone is o.k.

i drove like 50-65 all the way home. rain was kinda random and heavy. we left B/CS @ like 8:45 after eating dinner @ Chedders. got home @ 11:45.

marshall_mosty
08-07-2006, 09:12 AM
I'm glad everyone was okay. When it rains.... it pours....

Luckily everyone has until October (unless you are going to nat's) to get it all back together!!

Mike Bell
08-07-2006, 09:37 AM
On a related note, how's the head JB? That was a very nasty gash!

oz98cobra
08-07-2006, 09:37 AM
Glad to hear everyone is OK after the on and off track carnage! So where did #44 roll over? Turn 1?

And can someone post the unofficial results for AI and CMC please?

GlennCMC70
08-07-2006, 09:42 AM
between turn 3/4

Mike Bell
08-07-2006, 09:44 AM
between turn 3/4

Wow, that surprises me. Was this a one car incident?

GlennCMC70
08-07-2006, 09:45 AM
yes, 1 car. and he went off to the right. landed just yards from the ambulance.

donovan
08-07-2006, 09:49 AM
It was on the short straight between 3 and 4... went off to the right, before the nascar back straight... small ditch/culvert(or something) just off the track, it grabbed the left front and rolled the car 4 times. Front left dug in, rolled, right rear hit, rolled three more time, looked fairly gentle after the first two hits... them came to rest on the its wheels.

we have it on video from the stands... it is pretty much center frame in the video. I will post it tonight.

DD

jeffburch
08-07-2006, 09:49 AM

Someone has a photo. Need it posted I guess.
Boudy calls it a "Burch Mark".
It smarts like hell. Thought about doing something different with the windernet but figger I won't ever bang it again.
Trivial compared to others' misfortune.

jb

Mike Bell
08-07-2006, 09:59 AM
Granted, Micah's rollover is signficant but that 4 inch gash in your noggin sure looked painful. Hope it heals up quicklike, I was at a corner station when they called the ambulance for ya, scared the heck outta me as they called it in as a head wound and we couldn't figure out how someone got a head wound out on track or how severe it was.

You are one tough cowboy to put a helmet back on, I'd have headed for the casa for sure!

jeffburch
08-07-2006, 10:19 AM
Granted, Micah's rollover is signficant but that 4 inch gash in your noggin sure looked painful. Hope it heals up quicklike, I was at a corner station when they called the ambulance for ya, scared the heck outta me as they called it in as a head wound and we couldn't figure out how someone got a head wound out on track or how severe it was.

You are one tough cowboy to put a helmet back on, I'd have headed for the casa for sure!

4 inch?
Na, maybe 1 and a quarter. Others near thought there musta been a fight.
I looked like Carrie with the blood all down my face.
I had to gather points and Robert Boudreaux was so generous with offering up his racecar, I had to do it.
THANK YOU my Booty Buddy.
Glenn was unhappy with me putting points in the f.o.r.d. column for the manufactures race.
Also, again THANK YOU Mitch Warren for offering to bring me your racecar.
Wow, I can't thank you enough for that! Generousity like this is unmeasureable. Wow.
On a lighter note, maybe you can't forsee living with Glenn if he does win the championship. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks all!

jb

Racebrat
08-07-2006, 10:21 AM
What little bit I know about this. I saw them on the side of the road on my way home and immediately pulled over. Jumped out of my car and ran over to them, I think I surpirsed them! Micah told me what happened, everyone was fine he said. The wrecker that happened to be in front of me (in the left lane) stopped (in the left lane) which almost caused a pile up behind him (me first!). He finally got pulled all the way over to the shoulder and I avoided hitting him and pulled over in front of the incident. I asked if there was anything I could do and Micah said no, to go on home. I hit the same water they hit, it had to have been 2-3 inches deep and running across the freeway. Poor girl in the Elcipse...Micah said she was a bundle of nerves.

I'm sorry I wasn't in the truck and couldn't help ya'll. I was just glad to see it wasn't worse than it was. One of the other guys there (maybe some other car involved?) told me that when he came up on it he was shocked they already had the car loaded (he was looking at the #44 on the trailer) before he realized that wasn't the car that was involved.....silly.

Anyway, FWIW, if anything like this ever happens again, I'm on the North side of Houston just off of 290 (for now, soon we'll be David Love's new neighbors!) and am glad to help if anyone ever needs it.

A hell of a way to end the weekend, hope everyone else made it home ok.

Mike Bell
08-07-2006, 10:41 AM
BTW, a big thanks and tip of the hat to David Donovan for stepping up as acting director Saturday morning. Also, to Todd for coming out in the Texas heat even though he was feeling sick!

mitchntx
08-07-2006, 10:44 AM
Also, again THANK YOU Mitch Warren for offering to bring me your racecar.
Wow, I can't thank you enough for that! Generousity like this is unmeasureable. Wow.
On a lighter note, maybe you can't forsee living with Glenn if he does win the championship. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks all!

jb

aw, shucks ... <rubs toe in sand>

David Love AI27
08-07-2006, 10:52 AM

you mean his "burchmark"?

donovan
08-07-2006, 12:10 PM
I think everyone did a great job this weekend.

Just about everyone was working on something and other racers were jumping in and helping out.

I really appriceate the help from Jeff, Corey and MM for the tranny swap between Qual and R1, Thanks again guys!

Thanks for the props Mike! I was glad to see Todd roll in... but I was ready to help if needed!

David D.

donovan
08-07-2006, 12:21 PM
Brief Email from Todd
Latest update as of lunchtime...
Shop estimate was ~$1400....$700 parts/$700 laber....all bolt on parts.
;-P
Liebbe & Love are shopping local parts houses for best price for a soldier's budget now.
Truck getting AAA towed back to my garage this afternoon.
Jerry/Micah are cleaning my garage to be able to utilize both bays.
Tonight, (or ASAP) Liebbe, Love, Micah, Jerry & I will attempt to put her all back together again.
Jerry's requested extended leave from his base and they'll likely stay another nite and take off in the AM if all goes well.

(I'll take a pic of my front yard tonight....it'll be a hoot with all the project cars, race cars, crashed cars, SVT cars and helper cars out
front!!!)

Very cool to see everyone pull together to help out.

donovan
08-07-2006, 01:05 PM
As of 12:50 pm... from Todd.

....after assessing the task of cleaning my garage to make room for this job, AND not knowing my tool capability....AND recognizing the heat factor....
The decision has been made to take Liebbe up on his offer to have the truck towed to his workplace and they will work on it with the infinity of A/C, tools, lifts, technicians etc.

My house is now the babysitting location and his kids are there with the infinity of food, games, trampolines, etc.....and Liebbe's shop is where all the action will take place.

(I'll stay in good graces with the HOA now! WooHoo!)

AI#97
08-07-2006, 01:08 PM
Jumpin' Jeebus guys!!! I seriously doubt you will EVER see this kind of effort anywhere else!!!

Kudos to every one of you guys for the effort....

macstang
08-07-2006, 01:15 PM
My name is Cathie and I am Jerry's wife. I would like to thank everyone so much for all of your help and support with the vehicle situation, especially Todd and his wife for taking in my family and Micah (who is like family) and keeping my girls busy.

Maybe one day I will have the pleasure of meeting all of you! I have only run one event with NASA Texas and that was at NPR.

Thank you again for helping to get my truck and family back on the road!

Cathie :D

donovan
08-07-2006, 01:36 PM
Cathie, Todd and his wife are wonderful hosts! I have been there a couple times, I'm sure the kids are having a great time!

You guys in Houston are AWESOME! This is definialty the group of guys I started racing with a few years ago... I love to see people step up like this.

Very cool!

Jerry and Micah are two great guys, I hate to see all the trouble they are having...

David D.

David Love AI27
08-07-2006, 02:01 PM
As of 12:50 pm... from Todd.

....after assessing the task of cleaning my garage to make room for this job, AND not knowing my tool capability....AND recognizing the heat factor....
The decision has been made to take Liebbe up on his offer to have the truck towed to his workplace and they will work on it with the infinity of A/C, tools, lifts, technicians etc.

My house is now the babysitting location and his kids are there with the infinity of food, games, trampolines, etc.....and Liebbe's shop is where all the action will take place.

(I'll stay in good graces with the HOA now! WooHoo!)

Update: Talked to Jerry, truck being towed to Liebbe shop, Liebbe has obtained best price on new parts, Too many cooks messes up the stew so I am on standby to pickup parts and/or tools if necessary.

mitchntx
08-07-2006, 03:10 PM
Jerry and Micah are two great guys, I hate to see all the trouble they are having...

At least they are getting it over with all at one time instead of spreading bad luck over long periods of time.

Mitch "silver lining" Warren

macstang
08-07-2006, 03:56 PM

At least they are getting it over with all at one time instead of spreading bad luck over long periods of time.

Mitch "silver lining" Warren

wait til they get home before you say that! With those 2, ya never know! LOL :lol: Thanks again everyone for all that you are doing for them, I really appreciate it!

Cathie

AI#97
08-07-2006, 04:09 PM
Glad to hear everyone is OK after the on and off track carnage! So where did #44 roll over? Turn 1?

And can someone post the unofficial results for AI and CMC please?

Can't speak for CMC as I was paying more attention to our points game...

R1 CM, MW, Dave Irwin, DD, JB...lyons DNS MW with pole.
R2 DD, DI, CM,CL, JB.....MW DNS
R3 MW, CM, rest unsure......rain was making things busy! MW with pole.
R4 MW, JB, CM, DD, CL Congrats to Jeff Brooks for his podium finish!!!! Chris Marvel grenaded the motor in pretty spectacular fashion on the last lap of R4.....DD had a shifter issue and Lyons had motor trouble and retired early.

Currently, there is still a 90 point blanket covering the top 4 AI drivers.

CM 1555
MW 1515
DD 1460....I think pending R4 results
CL 1445

This is taking 5 drops into account to date.

Houston is going to get pretty fierce I think!!! :shock:

David Love AI27
08-07-2006, 06:03 PM
Talked to Jerry, had to get ball joint, Micah finished pressing on the new one (with supervision) while we talked, thought they would be leaving soon, didn't plan on staying overnight (didn't want to outstay the welcome). I'll pass on this comment: "THESE GUYS ARE GREAT"...

Note to Cathie: I'm currently out-of-work and Jerry has my number... God forbid anything else happens but I'm here 24/7 if needed...

Rob Liebbe
08-07-2006, 09:15 PM
Well, I think we got them on the road. Jerry and Micah completed repairs on the Explorer about 6:45 pm and we convoyed back over to Todd's. The Road Warriors were getting ready to load up the girls and start driving for Mississippi. That was about 8:00 pm. I resisted the temptation to modify the now infamous "Let's Roll" sticker to read "Le Roll". Enough sticker drama for one weekend.

Wish them luck.

GlennCMC70
08-07-2006, 09:22 PM
good deal.
you two guys have till Oct to gut that maroon 'stang.

AI#97
08-07-2006, 09:26 PM
good deal.
you two guys have till Oct to gut that maroon 'stang.

That car is actually close to being AI ready! :wink:

macstang
08-07-2006, 09:29 PM
if the wife has anything to say about it (thats me! and I do) that car aint gonna get gutted!

Cathie :)

GlennCMC70
08-07-2006, 09:40 PM
Rob! get that stang interior off the curb before the trash man comes!
she's on to us over here. :lol:
how about that explorer? anyone up for an SUV Challenge? maybe put in some off road stuff (on purpose :shock: ).

macstang
08-07-2006, 09:50 PM
YA'LL ARE JUST TOO FUNNY OVER THERE!
MY TRUCK CAN RUN A 1/4 MILE IN 16.3 (PRETTY SLOW)

GlennCMC70
08-07-2006, 09:51 PM
:wink:

Todd Covini
08-07-2006, 11:11 PM
Micah, Jerry and the girls are Mississippi-bound as of 8:50 this evening.

Many thanks to Liebbe & Love and everyone else for stepping in with resources and communications today.

It took us over an hour to say good-bye multiple times in front of the house after what was surely a stressful 32 hours for those guys. The girls were having a blast with my 7 yr-old daughter and the 3 of them wanted to play a few more days...to which Jerry said, "We're GOING NOW!...git in the truck girls!

Micah is feeling fine after his track tumble. I gave him some ibuprofen and an ice cream sandwich for his ride home and he should be fine...just some shoulder stiffness today that he's hoping the chiropractor can relieve as soon as they arrive tomorrow.

Those guys are animals...~7 hours of caravaning tonight should put them home around 4 AM! (Despite numerous offers to spend another nite and start early tomorrow, they really need/want to get home.)

Probably the coolest thanks I ever could get was when Jerry literally presented me with an "Excellence in Action" commemorative coin from his Academy at Camp Shelby, MS just before driving off. No gifts, money or payment of any kind could replace receiving a tangible momento of a soldier's honor and thanks like that!

Anyway...things should start returning to "normal" for everyone very soon as we put another race weekend in the history books! Cathie, pls post when you receive them safely on your end!

-=- Todd

donovan
08-07-2006, 11:28 PM
www.donovanracing.com/Micah_Bishop_TWS_Aug_6_2006_Small.wmv 5 megs

www.donovanracing.com/Micah_Bishop_TWS_Aug_6_2006_Large.wmv 14 megs

macstang
08-08-2006, 12:39 AM
DAMN! Nice video!

It is 12:35 am and Jerry, Micah and the kids are between Lake Charles and Lafayette...still quite aways out...they each keep calling me to stay awake....so since I am up, I thought that I would post an update.

Cathie

Mike Bell
08-08-2006, 06:23 AM
Hope Jerry and Micah are home safe and sound now.

Hats off to those who chipped in and got them back on the road - very nice to hear about all that Liebbe, Love, and Covini did to assist. (And any others I didn't mention also!!)

That's a scary video. Amazed and glad to see Micah was unharmed.

macstang
08-08-2006, 06:59 AM
6:56 am

They should be rolling in any minute now, talked to Jerry about 30 min ago and he said that they stopped to nap for an hour or so, the sleep monster got the best of them. I will tuck all 4 into bed and then head off to work.

I cant thank all of you enough for what you did for us. The hand that you extended in a time of need is greatly appreciated and there are no words that can accuratly describe how greatful I am.

I just heard the garage door open....they are home safe and sound!

Thank you again to everyone for your help and well wishes!

Cathie

donovan
08-08-2006, 07:50 AM
Awesome, glad they are home!

mitchntx
08-08-2006, 07:56 AM
www.donovanracing.com/Micah_Bishop_TWS_Aug_6_2006_Small.wmv 5 megs

www.donovanracing.com/Micah_Bishop_TWS_Aug_6_2006_Large.wmv 14 megs

Couple observations ...

While the car is being loaded, I see a lot of folks helping and couple supervising ...

Interesting things seem to happen when that yellow car gets close ...

That trailer used to haul a F-Body. I don't think there is a connection between that and this phenomenon, though.

:D

Micah/Jerry ...

From a fabricator's standpoint, I would really like to see a bunch of pics where the roll cage is atached to the floor pan, noting any distortion or ripping of the floor pan.

I would also like to see how the body of the car worked it's way around the tubes, any bent tubes and any cracked welds.

Finally, I would like to see how your seat mount and seat back brace held up.

It appears that the safety gear did a great job. I would just like to learn from this experience in order to make a better car.

Glad you guys made it back safe ... finally.

AI#97
08-08-2006, 08:37 AM
Mitch, I looked over the cage for about 10 minutes and without looking at it for another hour in detail, there was NO failure at all. It was VERY well done and was not compromised at all from what I could see. That cage builder did a great job.

gt40
08-08-2006, 09:02 AM
That cage builder did a great job.Someone owes that cage builder a case of really good beer.

Todd Covini
08-08-2006, 09:22 AM
My new roll cage should be done this weekend. :wink:

-=- T

mitchntx
08-08-2006, 09:37 AM
Sounds great. I want to learn what he did and he did it.

jeffburch
08-08-2006, 12:37 PM
Someone might want to be thinking of offering up a car for The Championships at Mid Ohio.

Micah Bishop is on the entrants list.

jb

macstang
08-08-2006, 01:06 PM
There is something in the works for a CMC 44 replacement.

Rob Liebbe, and his co worker looked over the cage fairly well also, and didnt find ANY bends, cracks, failures etc.

The car is at my house now, and I will take pics of things as I disassemble it. Send your requests for which part you want to see.

I don't know where to start as far as extending my gratitude to all AI CMC folks in the Houston area that either helped us get back on the road, or offered to help. Yall went far beyond the call and far exceeded any expectations I had of the group.

I cant thank the Covini's enough and it chokes me up to think that someone (Todds wife) would take my 2 kids, for the whole day, and keep them occupied, supervised, fed, and cared for so that we were able to take care of our automotive problems. I love those little girls, and I am grateful from the bottom of my heart.

As a soldier, I have relied on people that I didnt know very long to help each other get through things such as deployments, difficult duty etc. In the Army, we refer to the folks around us as our family. I have always refered to the Soldiers around me as my family, and always thought that they were my only family. I know Im rambling a bit.

I did not join NASA TX to find or form a family, I already had one of those. I just wanted to a place to go race, and people to race with. I now realize that NASA TX is a family, and not just a bunch of people to race with.

Once again, thank you to everyone involved with our journey from hell, and I cant wait to race with ya in October.

CMC 44 will ride again :!:

michaelmosty
08-08-2006, 01:45 PM
Once again, thank you to everyone involved with our journey from hell, and I cant wait to race with ya in October.

CMC 44 will ride again :!:
Awesome news Jerry. It'll be great to see you and Micah racing in October!!

gt40
08-08-2006, 02:57 PM
Awesome news Jerry. It'll be great to see you and Micah racing in October!!OK, now for the important question -- after the initial impact, did he get more hangtime than you? :D

(Of course, you do get extra points for a better landing!)

cjlmlml
08-08-2006, 02:59 PM
Jerry,

Thats good to hear.

You have found as I have, most of the folks that race with us are very generous with their time, knowledge, spare parts , etc etc.

We have a good group.

I am glad you guys are back home safe.

Racebrat
08-08-2006, 03:18 PM
Speaking as a 3rd gen racer, I wouldn't trade my racing family for anything in the world. There is no other sport where the competition on track is as fierce as the comroderie off track. Trust me, I have found that in times of dire need, my racing family has alwys been there. Whether they were helping work on cars at the track, offering condolences at a funeral, or literally donating blood after my father's heart attack and bypass surgery, they always step up and never think twice about doing so.

Thats what I love this sport and the people so much!

micah
08-08-2006, 07:00 PM
There are now 4 members of the Pegasus Club {flying horse} Rob,Eric,Micheal,and myself. Anyone care to join.

mitchntx
08-08-2006, 07:05 PM
There are now 4 members of the Pegasus Club {flying horse} Rob,Eric,Micheal,and myself. Anyone care to join.

I think that kind of sums it all up ... the F-Body aero package is far superior ...

I got air at Hallett trying the Leibbe line. But I never did a 1/2 ... wait ... full ... wait, quad gainer.

Micah, I'm glad you (and I) can joke about your situation. I hope that I can be 1/2 the sport you are.

macstang
08-08-2006, 07:20 PM
Micah may be able to joke about it.

Jerry is still slaving over the old hulk of what once was CMC 44.

And sweat over whatever becomes the new CMC 44.

Go ahead and joke Micah, just send parts, and cars, and supplies, oil, fluids.....Ill get ya going for nationals.

macstang
08-08-2006, 07:23 PM
Im honored to be part of the CMC 44 project, and dont want any misunderstandings.

I am also glad that the weekend is over, and we can joke about the whole thing.

micah
08-08-2006, 07:31 PM
I only joke to keep from crying, the car was top three capable all weekend and with time and tuning at Mid-O it would have been no different. I give you credit for every thing that car was, before I wrecked it. {twice}

micah
08-08-2006, 07:33 PM
Don't chew my ass on the forum, Mitch likes it when chics fight.

mitchntx
08-08-2006, 10:06 PM
Uh-Oh ....

http://www.melbourne.indymedia.org/uploads/cats_fighting.jpgnltwad.jpg

bossskip302
08-08-2006, 11:24 PM
Jerry/Micah....we have some spare parts while building Scotts car, like Bilstien shocks , brakes, brakes parts , hubs. Scott will take an inventory prior to school starting and get with the both of you...just let me know where to ship-um. Any way we can help...let me know

Skip

donovan
08-09-2006, 03:29 AM
It might be good for you guys to post up a shopping list of parts you need, when either you are building, replacing or got something together and headed to Nationals.

DD

michaelmosty
08-09-2006, 09:27 AM
I just got Marshall's old set of SN95 front control arms w/ bushings and ball joints all ready to go. He gave them to me as spares and I think this falls into the "needed" category.
Let me know what address to ship it to and they'll go out ASAP.

marshall_mosty
08-09-2006, 12:00 PM
I have the following spares, if needed:

1. FOX GT rear sway bar
2. Stock FOX rear upper and lower control arms
3. Tie rod ends, sperical bearing type (used, but funtional)
4. Koni SA rear shocks (new before MSR-H)
5. MM strut tower brace
6. SN95 hubs that are coming off my car. They are fine, but just part of my "replace it now" schedule.

I'll go through the garage tonight and take an accurate inventory and post it up tonight.

macstang
08-09-2006, 01:06 PM
Thanks for all the kind offers. Micah has something in the works for a complete car, that may need a few parts to get it ready. There is no way I can get a car built from scratch before nationals.

We already have a bunch of spare parts, and I am going to start stripping 44 tonite.

So far, it seems the engine(which is a fresh/capable of 234/300 dyno) is good. Seems the trans is good too. I believe the rear axle is bad, 373 gears prolly still good. All the brakes appear good, except 1 caliper. May end up with 2 good tires max. All the Army logo stuff is untouched, even the hood is straight, and will go on the new CMC44. 31x19 radiator is straight and still holds water, same for the mocal oil cooler. Im interested to see what the frame, subframe connectors, lower braces look like. Hope the AL driveshaft is good.

The cage is good, and will fit just fine in AI 15. We don't have an AI 15 yet do we?

I am sure we will get alot of good parts off the car. Perhaps set up a flea market booth at nationals. Ebay username is macstang1 and will prolly have some of these parts on there.

Ill post a list of what I find tomorrow.

Rob Liebbe
08-09-2006, 01:10 PM
I would caution against using the tires as they may have hidden damage. Ask Michael how that worked out for him.

michaelmosty
08-09-2006, 02:41 PM
I second Rob's comment. I re-used my front left tire from the Hallett incident and put it on a new wheel. Visually it had no indication of damage and survived two practice sessions at MSR-C 1 1/2 weeks ago but gave way during my first practice session @ TWS.
There is no way to tell if the tire blew due to dumb luck or as a result of the Hallett abuse. There is just no telling how long the tires will hold up after the extreme stress of a bad "off".

gt40
08-09-2006, 03:33 PM
I second Rob's comment. I re-used my front left tire from the Hallett incident and put it on a new wheel. Visually it had no indication of damage and survived two practice sessions at MSR-C 1 1/2 weeks ago but gave way during my first practice session @ TWS.
There is no way to tell if the tire blew due to dumb luck or as a result of the Hallett abuse. There is just no telling how long the tires will hold up after the extreme stress of a bad "off".Anyone have a contact for someone at Toyo? I'd like to get some knowledgable input on this, since it seems a shame if we ended up throwing out otherwise good tires based on ignorance.

donovan
08-09-2006, 03:39 PM
I would expect they would advise against running them after MM's backwards/sideways flight or MB's rollover.

DD

Rob Liebbe
08-09-2006, 04:18 PM
Anyone have a contact for someone at Toyo? I'd like to get some knowledgable input on this, since it seems a shame if we ended up throwing out otherwise good tires based on ignorance.

Sorry Robert, but I take exception to the ignorance part as I have 14 years experience as an automotive engineer specializing in vehicle dynamics development and tire development with the last six years as a accident reconstructionist. Even pothole or curb strikes can damage a tire enough to start internal component failures that can eventually develop into a tire failure. This is true on street driven vehicles and even more true on vehicles driven hard like we do in a race or DE. I make my recommendation not out of ignorance, but out of knowledge and concern for all my fellow racers.

See you on the track soon I hope.

:)

Waco Racer
08-09-2006, 04:43 PM
Show off :P

jeffburch
08-09-2006, 04:53 PM
Show off :P

Gazintas and gazoutas? I wanna be a double knot spy with my 6th grade edu-ma-cation. :roll: :P :lol:

jb

gt40
08-09-2006, 05:00 PM
Sorry Robert, but I take exception to the ignorance part as I have 14 years experience as an automotive engineer specializing in vehicle dynamics development and tire development with the last six years as a accident reconstructionist.Sorry Rob -- I didn't mean this as a light to you or to your experiance. I meant ignorance in a different, more clinical way.

Even pothole or curb strikes can damage a tire enough to start internal component failures that can eventually develop into a tire failure. This is true on street driven vehicles and even more true on vehicles driven hard like we do in a race or DE. I make my recommendation not out of ignorance, but out of knowledge and concern for all my fellow racers.I agree with you 100%. When I said "based on ignorance" what I meant was that we are all ignorant of just how sensitive the RA1's are to impacts like this. It seems possible that Michael's off damaged the tire enough to cause a failure, but we can't know that for sure without more information. I'm not an expert regarding how much abuse RA1's can take without internal failure, and I would like to know (preferebly from the manufacturer, or from someone with a lot of experiance testing RA1's to failure).

What amount and type of damage do we need to worry about? I don't want to toss out a seemingly good tire because I cut an apex too close and jumped the curb.

Big events like Michael's off and Micah's roll seem pretty obvious. Its the not-so-obvious stuff I wonder about.

We can play it safe and toss out any tire that sees a "big" impact, but we're playing it safe because we simply don't know for sure, and not knowing is called "ignorance". That's why I chose that word. I didn't mean any slight to you at all by using it.

donovan
08-09-2006, 05:13 PM
I will start giving you all my 'suspect' tires to run...

Let me know how it works out for ya!

gt40
08-09-2006, 05:48 PM
I will start giving you all my 'suspect' tires to run...

Let me know how it works out for ya!Well whadda-ya know! They're ALL bad!

(My threshold for tossing out stuff is very low when I don't have to pay for 'em!)

donovan
08-09-2006, 06:24 PM
I'm just giving you a hard time... I feel like you are asking for something that is very difficult to answer to in the realm of our racing.

If this was a pro series with a spec tire such as GAC, WC or NASCAR I would expect some answer to what you are asking, but the reality is that Toyo is not going to tell you anything, and non of us realistically have the time or resources to analyze these tire after an event like these two had, nor some Apex bashing...

Maybe I'm wrong and Call me low Tech, but I would rather throw out a set of used Toyos than take a chance on running them on a $10,000 CMC car or a $30,000 AI car, plus possible injurys. Just not worth it.

macstang
08-09-2006, 10:43 PM
Im ignorant.

The tires from Micahs spin at TWS in Aug 05 are still on the car.

Every part on my red 15 car was bought used on Ebay. Including the tires.

My brake pads are borrowed.

My brake fluid is recycled.

My seat belts are even used, and expired.

Im ignorant.

Todd Covini
08-09-2006, 11:01 PM
Big difference between "used" and "abused" there, buddy.

Just play it safe. Every part that comes off Micah's car (or any other major incident) should be reviewed with a "What if" perspective and just take the high road.

I've got a bunch of used parts on my car but if anything is questionable you'll likely pay more in the long run.

-=- Todd

PS- Get back in the garage...Nationals are a month away!

gt40
08-10-2006, 09:31 AM
I'm just giving you a hard time... I feel like you are asking for something that is very difficult to answer to in the realm of our racing.I realize that. that's why I'd hope a Toyo rep would be able to give us some good rule-of-thumb advice.

If this was a pro series with a spec tire such as GAC, WC or NASCAR I would expect some answer to what you are asking...Isn't the RA-1 the spec tire for WC?

Maybe I'm wrong and Call me low Tech, but I would rather throw out a set of used Toyos than take a chance on running them on a $10,000 CMC car or a $30,000 AI car, plus possible injurys. Just not worth it.You're probably right, but its still worth persuing, I think.

donovan
08-10-2006, 10:03 AM
The WC use the RA1's in 18", Yes...

I still think they are going to tell you to dump them... they would not put that kind of liability on themselves.

I think its kind of in the same arena as brake lines... I have seen people at the track while changing pads and have the caliper drop and hang from the line... and not think twice about putting it back on the car... I did it once in the garage, I was holding up the caliper with one hand aligning the pads... decided to rest the caliper on the lower arm for a second so I could adjust the pads with two hands... the caliper fell and dropped on the line... I replaced the line with out any thought. $40 worth, the line on the car was fairly new, but why take that chance.

I was behind MM when he had that tire blow on the straight... it was scary!.

http://www.aicmctexas.com/gallery/d/9110-2/DSC_7515.JPG

TEXAST1
08-10-2006, 12:51 PM
No I was behind MM you wer behind me. :wink:

Yes, It was scarry while at speed trying to figure out where we was going to go. The right answer was strait off the track into NASCAR 1 banking. Well Done! :!:

gt40
08-10-2006, 01:00 PM
Yes, It was scarry while at speed trying to figure out where we was going to go. The right answer was strait off the track into NASCAR 1 banking. Well Done! :!:Yep -- good call. Michael! (But we all know he deals well wit sudden, unexpected failures at high speed! ;) )

I've had blowouts at freeway speeds (70-ish,) and the car didn't do much at all, except start pulling to the side with the blowout a bit.

What did Michael's car do when the blowout occured? (I'm trying to get an idea of what to expect if I have a blowout -- not that I'm expecting one, mind you!)

donovan
08-10-2006, 01:16 PM
He kept is failrly straight, he went straight instead of T1 down the hill.... any other part of the track might have been very different... He had plenty of time and track to shut it down.

You will have to ask him about anything else... I'm sure it was a crazy ride.

michaelmosty
08-10-2006, 02:15 PM
It felt normal going down the straight and just at the start/finish line I felt the wheel shake a little so I let off the gas and gently got on the brake. About 1 second later it got much more exciting w/ extreme vibrations, loud noises, cheerleaders, marching bands, etc.
I felt the car jerk to the right initially (only about 1-2 feet) and after that I just drove it past the T1 cones on the banking.
I recovered my front fender extension after the practice session was over from the front straight. I know someone ran it over, I think JB. I need to get your autograph on the piece, it might be worth some $$ one of these days. :wink:

marshall_mosty
08-10-2006, 08:07 PM
About 1 second later it got much more exciting w/ extreme vibrations, loud noises, cheerleaders, marching bands, etc.
I felt the car jerk...

That's funny. :lol: